• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes SS 20X......too much for 300yds?

Centermass

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2003
In the belly of the beast
Like I said, Im looking for some new glass for my FN PBR. I use a SS 10x 40 on my M1A, and at my old range it was fine for the range available. My new range here only goes out to 300, but Id like to get the SS 20X fixed power.
You guys think thats too much scope?

Re: SS 20X......too much for 300yds?

Yeah, I would tend to say its too much. Not that it wont do the job for strictly range work and precise shot placement, but outside of that, you probably wont be happy with it. YMMV.

I agree with the above guy, it would work good on the range. Impractical for anything else.

It'll take a bit of getting used to the more difficult target acquisition, as well as the less forgiving eye relieve. but other than that, it's great. I use it on my R700 and have no problem with it on the field.

If you are doing more than banging steel and paper punching I would be cautious for that power scope as your field of view is prety narrow at 20X. I have two, 20x and 16x. Love them both, but I would not choose the 20 for anything other than LR traget (more than 500) (JMO, on that). SS is one of the best, if not top, deals for the money, and beats out many higher priced optics. You might like the 16x for the 300 yds, but another 10x would work well also.

I have all three power Super Snipers. I have a 20X on my Rimfire Sniper Rig that we shoot from 50 thru 150 yards. I have no problem finding my targets.
I have a 6.5 - 20 and an 8.5 - 25 Leupold also and normally leave them cranked up for Range work or Coyotes. I can get on them with no problem standing still. Lower power for running would be better.
If you sue your equipment frequently higher power should not be a problem. For hunting under 100 yards, I might go with less power. Depends on the use.

I agree it would be good at the range for stationary targets but not very practical for hunting or shooting at movers if your range has that. FOV would be too narrow.