• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SS 3-9x42 for first tactical scope?

PaulStafford

Sergeant
Minuteman
I'd like some advice, please.

The scope will be mounted on a .300wm bolt, I will shoot mainly steel. I do not have a lot of experience, so I don't expect I'll be engaging anything beyond 500 yds until I learn what the heck I'm doing. That means I don't need too much top end magnification, which will also obviate the need for a parallax adjustment. I don't think I need illumination.

I have done a lot of research, read the FAQs and lots of reviews including Ilya's, and think this will do what I need at a good price point for me.

Having said that, I do want to learn on something with FFP and matching knobs/reticle so I can learn to range and adjust appropriately. I would like to keep it under $800 for this first scope, and then step up to a nicer scope (NF F1?) when I am able to utilize and appreciate it.

This scope appears proven and reliable, is readily available now, and I have yet to read anything negative about them.

Re: SS 3-9x42 for first tactical scope?

Your optic choice sounds good. Those are quality made and dependable. Can't say I recommend jumping into precision shooting with a 300WM. I hope your able to relax behind that thing and work on fundamentals without developing a permanent flinch. But if its what you've got, its what you've got. Best of luck to you brother.

And yes, I havnt owned an F1, but lots of good shooters here use the hell out of them. That's says enough.

great recommendation from Rob. Bushnell really did a good job on those. My .223 bolt will most likely be wearing one of these till I can afford another S&B.

I would want a little more power as if you get into shooting this sport you will want it. Something to think about in your price range
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=325361

I agree that a 300WM isn't the best rifle to jump into with especially if you only have 500 yards. Get a .308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would want a little more power as if you get into shooting this sport you will want it. Something to think about in your price range
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=325361

I agree that a 300WM isn't the best rifle to jump into with especially if you only have 500 yards. Get a .308. </div></div>

The SS 3-9x is a GREAT scope. I have one on my hunting rifle. I agree that you might want to get more magnification.

As Rob recommends, the Bushnell 3-12x44 is a great way to go. I have one of those too. Good stuff, and that Midway price is tits.

After a while you will want more power.
After a while you want less of a caliber.
It's a journey.
You've got to start somewhere.
The 3-9x42 SS will be easy to re-sell when you want to step-up.
And there's nothing wrong with that scope as it is for 500 meters and under.

Thanks guys. It is a journey, as you say Graham, and filled with compromises.
I chose 300wm because I want to eventually do longer ranges, and can't afford more than one good rifle (and stay married).

The rifle will weigh 15# all up, and I have not been recoil sensitive shooting others rifles. 500 yds is not the most I'll ever shoot- it's just what I expect I can be effective at for a while. Hope to eventually shoot much further, which is another reason for the 300wm choice. We do have some nice local events near Missoula that go to 1300yds. I'm just being realistic with my current abilities in choosing this first scope. I expect the scope will be replaced in the future as my skills improve.

that Bushnell looks good, an awesome discount, and the extra magnification would be really welcome, and maybe prolong my use of this first scope. I saw it at SWFA for $899, so had sort of discounted it as beyond budget. I wonder if the 'hide discount codes can be used on top of that at Midway
smile.gif

The Bushnell has all the basic features I want (FFP, matching mil/mil) with more mag than the SS 3-9...couple questions remain- 1) does it have adjustment for parallax? I know you don't need it for 10X, but this is 12X... 2) does it track repeatedably like most say the SS does? 3)Is the reliability and CS of Bushnell up to the SS? and 4) is there enough elevation range?

thanks again for guidance and help. this site rocks.

I own two of the SWFA SS 3-9X42 mounted on two semiauto 7.62 rifles with a total round count of over 3000 and have had no problems with the scopes. I regularly shoot steel out to 800 yards with these rifles and have shot them out to 1000 yards and the scopes have not been a limitation.

These SS scopes have a lifetime, transferable warranty and a very good reputation for quality and ruggadness. It is hard to find postings with complaints of poor quality or poor service with the SWFA scopes. This is not the case with the Bushnell. There are quite a few complaints of poor service and problems. Example http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2357738#Post2357738

This is the reason the SS scopes hold their value and are easy to sell.

I too would recommend the 4200 3-12. Received mine yesterday and the quality seems great to my amateur eyes. $560 delivered from Natchez.
Good Luck

I have a 3-9 and have no issues out to 500 shooting clays anything further and i would want more magnification for that size target. tracks well and is clear great scope for my 16" 308. My 24" 308 wears a 4-16 and i am very please.

Hope that helps,

consensus seems to be SS 3x9 is great value, but magnification can be limiting beyond 500 yds. Resale value will be solid when I'm ready to move on. Bushnell also has a good scope, better magnification, with mixed reviews, some good, some not (as you might expect with any product)...

wish the Vortex PST 4-16 was a bit cheaper and had a little more time on market and ready availability.

Thanks for all the comments, I will probably start with SS 3-9 and when my skills are ready for beyond 500 yds will sell it and move up.