• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ss media and lanolin

1fliride

Master baiter
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2013
WV
recently tried to clean sized brass witch i used lanolin. It stained the media and brass really bad. It cleaned up in cc media. Had to use rubbing alcohol to clean it up.
Any options to prevent such a mess ?

Generally when I wet tumble the only thing I do before is decap the cases. Certain lubes turn to shit when introduced to water and/or other cleaning products. Have never wet tumbled after lubing but lanolin turns into a shitty gray doesn't it? I dry tumble in either WS or CC media after sizing to remove lube.
An added benefit is it's far enough removed from priming and charging that you don't get alot of snap and no bang

Reactions: 1fliride
Generally when I wet tumble the only thing I do before is decap the cases. Certain lubes turn to shit when introduced to water and/or other cleaning products. Have never wet tumbled after lubing but lanolin turns into a shitty gray doesn't it? I dry tumble in either WS or CC media after sizing to remove lube.
An added benefit is it's far enough removed from priming and charging that you don't get alot of snap and no bang
Yea seems to be the way to go. Tried it once and wont again.

Before putting the cases in the tumbler, I wash them in a bucket with hot soapy water. Drain them and then put them in the tumbler.

What are you adding to the water and stainless steel?

I also use this case lubricant. I have been using it for almost 30 years without any problem. It washes off easily with dishwasher soap and hot water.

You can buy it by the bottle or by the case.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/case-lube-8-oz-bottle_8_8_23666.html

Before putting the cases in the tumbler, I wash them in a bucket with hot soapy water. Drain them and then put them in the tumbler.

What are you adding to the water and stainless steel?

I also use this case lubricant. I have been using it for almost 30 years without any problem. It washes off easily with dishwasher soap and hot water.

You can buy it by the bottle or by the case.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/case-lube-8-oz-bottle_8_8_23666.html
Ive been using a touch of lemishine and dawn. Have recently switched to woolite and citric acid. Havent had the chance to use it yet.

Is it absolutely necessary to SS tumble sized brass?

To each his own, I only wipe down complete rounds.

Is it absolutely necessary to SS tumble sized brass?

To each his own, I only wipe down complete rounds.
Of course not. I like to ss tumble after 3 or 4 firings just to get pockets and inside clean. Generally wet tumble in cc media

may i ask, does the staining do any damage or is it merely of cosmetic concern?
Strictly cosmetic. Corncob tumble for an hour and its back to normal. The lanolin is not water soluble, so it just sticks to the case and turns it gray

I’ve been thinking about cleaning case lube off after sizing lately too. I hate getting media out of primer pockets etc. has anyone ever tried the gallon paint caan of chem dip carb cleaner before? Seems like a little dunk, drain and dry would be way more efficient.

I’ve been thinking about cleaning case lube off after sizing lately too. I hate getting media out of primer pockets etc. has anyone ever tried the gallon paint caan of chem dip carb cleaner before? Seems like a little dunk, drain and dry would be way more efficient.
I am going to try wet tumble with no media. Woolite and citric acid. See what happens. Poking flashholes gets old