• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SS Media question

Drumie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2005
Western New York
I have been using SS media for cleaning my brass for about a year now. I am very careful to make sure that none of the pieces of SS gets left in a case. Does anyone have an idea what would happen if a piece gets left in the case, loaded and fired?

Re: SS Media question

nothing good could come from it.

After your drying cycle lie all of your brass on a table and run a powerful magnet slowly over the them all. a hard-drive magnet is more than adequate and any case with a single pin it in will make itself apparent.

I also use a flashlight for a quick glance when they are all in the loading block ready to be charged.

hurling a piece of SS down your barrel at 2650 FPS is going to jack up the barrel.

There is a picture that was posted of this happening. The piece of media was embeded in the barrel. I belive it was in the stainless steel media thread.I dont remember what page though.

The little pieces do tend to stick to the case walls when everything is wet. I knock each case against the side of my bucket as I take them out of the separator just to be sure (but that's not saying I haven't found a few laying in my drying towel).

I use a magnet that's sold as a "magnetic holster" that can be bolted under a countertop to suspend a hidden pistol from.

magneth.jpg

Instead of pouring brass and water together out of the tumbler's drum, I reach in the water and gather up a few cases by the base, hold them with the case mouth down and shake a few times before removing them from the water. The media doesn't tend to stick if it's still submerged. If there's any media inside the brass, you usually can feel it rattling around, which stops when it falls out.

A dillon media separator works perfectly for me - i fill the basin with water from the garden hose and crank the case separator around a few times. The bottom half stays in the water and all the pins fall. magnet test and/or visual test after they are drying.

dillon-cm500-media-separator-douilles2-zoom.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim1071</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a picture that was posted of this happening. The piece of media was embeded in the barrel. I belive it was in the stainless steel media thread.I dont remember what page though. </div></div>
I had theorized that this might happen if the media was left in the case a few months ago (it’s in one of the SS media threads), well I guess it happened. Media comes out with the powder and if it does not clear the barrel the next round coming down the pipe is going to be unhappy together with the barrel.

I am with Fred_C_Dobbs. The best way I know of to prevent this (and this applies only to bottle neck brass and not straight wall pistol brass) is to do two things, one is you have to hold the brass under water with the neck pointing down and shake it. When the whole thing is underwater, there is no longer any surface tension holding the media to the side of the case and the weight of the media will make it drop free. After you have done this, take the brass out of the water and with the neck pointing down again shake it hard, this will be your added insurance plus it will also flick out most of the water in the brass and help it dry faster.

No offense to doubled but using a media separator to remove SS media from bottle neck brass is asking for trouble (the one mentioned above). This method ONLY works for pistol brass and it works well.

I use my stainless media for 308,223,45acp and 9mm. Only in my 223 cases the media will get stuck in the flash holes. The media wedges its self in so tight I use a small punch to push them out. If I tumble 100-150 cases at a time, about 5 or ten will have media stuck in the flash holes. I always put my cases in loading blocks and use a flash light and look inside them to make sure there is no media in them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlow</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim1071</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a picture that was posted of this happening. The piece of media was embeded in the barrel. I belive it was in the stainless steel media thread.I dont remember what page though. </div></div>
I had theorized that this might happen if the media was left in the case a few months ago (it’s in one of the SS media threads), well I guess it happened. Media comes out with the powder and if it does not clear the barrel the next round coming down the pipe is going to be unhappy together with the barrel.

I am with Fred_C_Dobbs. The best way I know of to prevent this (and this applies only to bottle neck brass and not straight wall pistol brass) is to do two things, one is you have to hold the brass under water with the neck pointing down and shake it. When the whole thing is underwater, there is no longer any surface tension holding the media to the side of the case and the weight of the media will make it drop free. After you have done this, take the brass out of the water and with the neck pointing down again shake it hard, this will be your added insurance plus it will also flick out most of the water in the brass and help it dry faster.

<span style="font-weight: bold">No offense to doubled but using a media separator to remove SS media from bottle neck brass is asking for trouble (the one mentioned above). This method ONLY works for pistol brass and it works well.</span>
</div></div>

it's one step in a 3 step process and it works quite well for initial separation. everyone will do what they feel is right but to say it works only for pistol brass is foolish. with the basin filled with water it removes 99% of all my media from .223 thru .50cal and is very effective.

step 2 is using a magnet on your drying table
step 3 is a visual inspection before loading.

As others have mentioned, SS rods left in the case is probably not the best thing for a barrel.

To avoid this, I use a universal decapping die to deprime fired cases, tumble with SS, then size. Any stuck pins in the flash hole get poked through with the decapping pin of the sizing die. A tumble in corncob to remove lube should catch any stragglers. I also do a quick look inside each case before charging.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doubled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A dillon media separator works perfectly for me - i fill the basin with water from the garden hose and crank the case separator around a few times. The bottom half stays in the water and all the pins fall. magnet test and/or visual test after they are drying.

dillon-cm500-media-separator-douilles2-zoom.jpg
</div></div>

That is awesome! How well does it work? Do you usually catch a lot of media after a final inspection or is the separator really good at getting it out? That could definitely safe me a lot of time.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jF9AMv-1V4s"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jF9AMv-1V4s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

old video from a few years back.

Terry

When I put the brass to tumble it back and fourth I also put a 3/4 inch square rare earth magnet.When I tumble them back and fourth it'll catch any and all loose pin's in there.

I do this:
"Reach in the water and gather up a few cases by the base, hold them with the case mouth down and shake a few times before removing them from the water. The media doesn't tend to stick if it's still submerged. If there's any media inside the brass, you usually can feel it rattling around, which stops when it falls out."

I have had a straggler or two, but they are taken care of when I prime them.
During my priming process, I inspect each piece of brass, hand prime it, and then drop it case mouth down into a Frankford Arsenal plastic ammo box.
50-round-hinge-top-main.jpg

If I visually missed any pieces of SS media, they are knocked loose and are deposited at the bottom of the ammo box.