• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SS MWS range report. Update: Getting better

m1ajunkie

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
Boise, ID
I recieved my upper back from lmt this week with a new 20" SS barrel. My first one was replaced due to some tooling marks in the barrel that were out of the ordinary. I must say I am extremely pleased with lmt's customer service.

On to the good stuff. I got out to zero my scope and test my handloads for further development tues.

Here is a pic of my groups from 100yds, I'll explain further down.

100_1940.jpg

Pic of the rifle to show the setup:
100_1939.jpg

I accidentally deleted the original pic so I only have the fgmm group now.

FGMM 175 gr- Shot very well. I got a velocity of 2573 fps which I am pleased with and thats where I want to get my handloads to. Excluding the two fliers to the right of the pic, the group is exactly 1".

Xm118lr pd- not sure what went on here. The horizantal spread of the main group is about 1.25" but then there are two fliers low.

Next are my handloads.

WCC brass
varget powder
175gr smk at 2.8-2.804"
Winchester primer

42gr- Turned out my first nice group with handloads of the day. I got these at 2502fps which actually is a hair slower than the group I shot with 41.5gr of powder, but I am pleased with the group minus the flier. The four rounds in the orange are exactly 3/4".

43gr- This is where I want to be. Velocity is 2566, which is very close to the fgmm and should be super sonic at 1k if I ever got to shoot that far. The 4 in the orange are just under an inch but the flier opens it up a good bit.

I feel like this barrel has potential, if the shooter can get practiced up to shoot that good.

However, does anyone have any advice for the fliers? On my handloads I am thinking of adding a slight crimp in case the first round is chambering differently than the rest and causing the issue. I don't understand the factory loads though, I'm guessing they were me.

ETA: I was shooting prone off the bipod up front and a rear sandbag. It was a little difficult because the sun was at 12 o clock and I needed a sunshade that I neglected to bring.

I know the five round groups are frowned upon, but I am using them as a test of my handloads. I'm going to the 300yd range tuesday to really test em out and see if I can eliminate the fliers.

Update:

I made it back to the range today to get some testing with more loads. Wasn't able to get to the 300yd line due to rennovations so I decided 100yd would be good enough.

First off, I didn't have an issue with my mws but rather my harris bipod. I use this bipod on both my precision rifles.

First group of the day was from my 5.56 sdm, exactly 1" for 10 rounds. Then I moved on to the lmt.

First group was my handloads at 43grs that grouped nicely. 7 shots went into about 3/4", but then a fliers were at 12, 2 and 5 o clock about an inch out. I thought that to be very odd. I fired a second group of my handloads that ended up being about 2" with the majority of the group being in a line about 1" to the right of aim about 2" tall, Getting wierder. Next up I decided to try ten rounds of fgmm 168's. The first 5 rounds ended up about 2" high in a line that was 2" horizantal. At this point I decide something is wrong, and quit firing.

I had set the zero stop in my NF after the first group, I thought that could be an issue so I backed it off. Then fired 10 rounds of xm118lr pd, which ended up having 7 shots being 2-4" and then the other three of the target (these were the top right target). Not the zero stop. At this point I thought something was loose and checked screws in the barrel, scope mount and removed and replaced the larue mount. Then fired 5 rounds of privi 175gr match. POI was close but the group was 2". During this group I found what I think was the issue.

My harris bipod basically fell apart on the fifth round. The screw that the left leg pivots around backed out and the nut fell off. I feel like this whole time my bipod was loose and caused these bad groups. I didn't have the tools to fix it so I packed up and headed home.

Does it sound plausible that the issue with my bipod could have caused these issues? I'm shooting off the bipod and a rear bag and loading the bipod pretty heavily. The shots felt really good, but then I'd see impacts way off poa. I feel the bipod was causing the fliers mentioned in the previous post.

I ended up wasting several rounds of good ammo, but I did get to chrono the loads, and was pleased with those results.

Pics:

Group one of the day with the sdm:
100_1944.jpg

One of the groups with the mws when the issue showed up. I'm not sure which ammo this was, I was taping holes hoping I would fix the problem and get some nice groups so I don't have any more pics.

100_1945.jpg

Bipod:
http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp133/m1ajunkie/100_1947.jpg

Re: SS MWS range report

Nice groups.Its a lot of fun reloading then seeing how they shoot. Nice ARs as well.

Great looking rifle m1ajunkie............glad LMT got you squared away. I saw your posts in one of these forums/threads about the tooling marks, and was hoping to get an update to see how well LMT took care of you. Glad to hear you were impressed with their CS. I just received the 18" SS barrel for my MWS and am anxious to shoot it. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Thanks for the update..!

Obviously you don't have to, but, if you would test and post with more factory loads; I think that would be more realistic for shooters like me, who no longer have time to reload....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TallShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the update..!

Obviously you don't have to, but, if you would test and post with more factory loads; I think that would be more realistic for shooters like me, who no longer have time to reload.... </div></div>

I am planning to do just that on tuesday.

I am hoping to get groups at 100 and 300yds with these different types:
some more with xm118lr pd
FGMM 168gr
privi 175gr match ammo
I'm thinking I'm going to shoot some winchester q3130 to make more brass for myself.
As well as more groups with my handloads.

The range I'll use is setup much better and should allow me to hopefully do my part better as the shooter.

Nice report. Im shooting my 18" SS barrel Sat AM so I will post back Sat afternoon with targets. I found varget in the 41-42 tange and federal 210 match primers along with LC once fired brass to shoot pretty good. I tried putting .001 crimp but it messed things up. The match primers made a big difference for me. Also when I shoot for groups I hand weigh each powder load. Try sand bagging the front and back of the gun so it does not move. Use good trigger work and hold it back until the gun settles down. Make sure you do NOT have parallax in the scope. Put your scope on the center of the target and sandbag the rifle. Without touching the gun move your head back and forth a bit behind the scope. You should not see the cross-hairs move all over the target.

Re: SS MWS range report Update in OP: Issues at the ra

Hmm. Could have been the bipod. What magazine are you using? I'm currently sorting thru a flier issue on my MWS as well using the CM barrel. My first two trips to the range saw fliers that I couldn't explain. On my last trip I took my Stoner rifle as well and just used the KAC mag in both guns. The flyers were gone. Later, when I thought about it, the only difference was I used a PMAG the first two times out--first time I ever tried one. I still have some more investigation to do before I know for sure. This was all FGMM ammo too, shooting over a solid rest, so I can't blame my reloads. BTW--when I say fliers I mean I would be shooting a nice group of 1" or better, then throw a shot 2" or so out of the main group. Now I'm not the greatest shot, but I've had .308 AR's for years and I'm better than that. Like you, I was checking for loose screws, etc., but found nothing. I'm gonna take the gun and both mags out for another go and see what happens. I do think some of the rounds are striking lower on the feed ramp when using the PMAG. Good luck sorting things out.

Re: SS MWS range report Update in OP: Issues at the ra

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jn123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmm. Could have been the bipod. What magazine are you using? I'm currently sorting thru a flier issue on my MWS as well using the CM barrel. My first two trips to the range saw fliers that I couldn't explain. On my last trip I took my Stoner rifle as well and just used the KAC mag in both guns. The flyers were gone. Later, when I thought about it, the only difference was I used a PMAG the first two times out--first time I ever tried one. I still have some more investigation to do before I know for sure. This was all FGMM ammo too, shooting over a solid rest, so I can't blame my reloads. BTW--when I say fliers I mean I would be shooting a nice group of 1" or better, then throw a shot 2" or so out of the main group. Now I'm not the greatest shot, but I've had .308 AR's for years and I'm better than that. Like you, I was checking for loose screws, etc., but found nothing. I'm gonna take the gun and both mags out for another go and see what happens. I do think some of the rounds are striking lower on the feed ramp when using the PMAG. Good luck sorting things out. </div></div>

I am using pmags only. I sold the kac mag that came with the rifle, but it sounds like I need to maybe try one again if I can't get the flier issue solved.

I am confident my fliers were not me, they were far away from the main group and suprised me when I saw the impacts. I've experienced them with fgmm 175's, xm118lr pd, my 175gr handloads, and I experienced them when working up my handloads. The mag is something I've not thought about, I may shoot a 10round group tomorrow not using the mag. Single load them into the chamber and then let the bolt ease home, insert mag so it locks back after each shot.

FWIW: I just checked my pmags and the one I use mostly has deep gouges right where the bullet tip slides over the edge of the pmag.

Re: SS MWS range report Update in OP: Issues at th

I wonder if a little work with a file to the front lip of the PMAG would prevent the bullet tip from slamming into it? I'm in the same boat as you m1a. Sold off the KAC mag thinking I wouldn't need it. Hope I don't regret that decision, although I haven't had the flier issue yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: afd77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder if a little work with a file to the front lip of the PMAG would prevent the bullet tip from slamming into it? I'm in the same boat as you m1a. Sold off the KAC mag thinking I wouldn't need it. Hope I don't regret that decision, although I haven't had the flier issue yet. </div></div>

I don't believe I have an issue with the rifle yet. I am fairly sure the loose/broken bipod was the cause of the issues yesterday at the range and may have been causing the other fliers I've seen. However I'm heading back shooting tomorrow and if the issue is still present I'll shoot off bags for groups.

Tonight I loaded two rounds in the mag and hand cycled them slowly to watch what happened. The tip of the top round actually is well above the lip of the pmag, the tip impacts the feed ramps first. I'm not sure how the gouges happen, but It must be that the rounds nose dive just a little under the force of the action to make the marks. I am tempted to try a cproducts metal mag if I don't get the results I'm hoping for tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1ajunkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: afd77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder if a little work with a file to the front lip of the PMAG would prevent the bullet tip from slamming into it? I'm in the same boat as you m1a. Sold off the KAC mag thinking I wouldn't need it. Hope I don't regret that decision, although I haven't had the flier issue yet. </div></div>

I don't believe I have an issue with the rifle yet. I am fairly sure the loose/broken bipod was the cause of the issues yesterday at the range and may have been causing the other fliers I've seen. However I'm heading back shooting tomorrow and if the issue is still present I'll shoot off bags for groups.

Tonight I loaded two rounds in the mag and hand cycled them slowly to watch what happened. The tip of the top round actually is well above the lip of the pmag, the tip impacts the feed ramps first. I'm not sure how the gouges happen, but It must be that the rounds nose dive just a little under the force of the action to make the marks. I am tempted to try a cproducts metal mag if I don't get the results I'm hoping for tomorrow. </div></div>

DPMS makes a high q mag as well. Better than c-products.

http://www.pof-usa.com/parts/308parts.htm

I got back to the range, and I'm much more pleased today with my results. I believe the bipod was leading to some wierd stuff the other day that I didn't get today.

First ten rounds of the day. This is my 175gr handload, measured right at 2570fps. After this group I adjusted up 1 moa and left 1/4moa. Still got two fliers, but I feel like my fliers today were all my fault, I have nothing else to blame but me today. 8 of ten shots went into exactly an inch.

100_1948.jpg

I was feeling good after that and decided to try 10 more. Basically the same results, 8 of 10 were just a hair under an inch, then two fliers.

100_1949.jpg

Then I started to develop a load using the 178gr amax and varget in lc lr brass. I found that 43gr gave me a respectable group to start with. Next week I'll load up some more of these and shoot some 10 round groups. Measured 2525fps, and is just a hair over an inch.

100_1951.jpg

Then I decided to shoot 10 more 175gr smk's to see where I'm at. I believe at this point in the day I was becoming fatigued and it shows in my group. Pretty big.

100_1950.jpg

After that I shot 10 round of 147gr win q3130 to get some more brass and the results were unbelievable bad. Most shots missed the target because I didn't think they would shoot as high as they did.

Needless to say I am much more excited about next tuesday now. I'm planning to go back with my 175gr load, my 178gr load and shoot to 300yds. Planning to do lots of dryfiring this weekend as well. Due to most of my fliers being to the left or right, I feel they were due to my jerking of the trigger and not to my loads. From most of the groups I feel the loads I am using have potential to shoot really well.

very nice. You may also consider purchasing a Endine recoil reducer and try a pistol grip with more palm swell such as Sierra precision or the Large Fram ergo grip.

regards,

Johnny