• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SS Rifle barrels DO you have to clean after use?

BMG50CAL

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2006
NJ
After break in the Rifle barrels I normally shoot till i feel its dirty or my groups open up
Which use to mean if the rifle didnt get dirty or wet. on the first range trip it would get put away till next range trip and maybe not cleaned till end 2 or 3 trip. some range trips might only be 5 rounds

All my bolt have Stainless steel barrels. I alway check the guns before i shoot them. All rifle would just look a little dirty/ gray and maybe a little copper

Well on my ABS carbon fiber barrel which i thought was a SS liner. When i looked to check it before i went out. I thought i saw very little rust/lint or little brownish dust. so i freaked, pulled out the clean kit and clean it up.

If it was rust and not dirt would you be able to see it after you u cleaned/oiled/dry patch it out ? Barrrel looks shiny with no spots now but thinking maybe the oil patch is hiding it ?

Re: SS Rifle barrels DO you have to clean after use?

Im working on taking the rifle to get looked at with a bore scope trying to find a place near me. I just pulled the break off and put a light in the chamber. Its a 338 bore so i can see in the barrel pretty good.

SO does any one else only clean after a few range trips or after the rifle gets wet ?

SS can still rust I have seen it many times here at school under a bore scope, from people who clean very similar to you. What happens is when that copper is left in the bore any kind of moisture is attracted to it and in turn oxidizes the copper. So when you do actually clean the barrel there will be some really nice pits left under where the copper oxidized.

Nathan

I don't clean them after every trip, but I do run a patch of oil or WD40 down them for protection.

bullets remove rust and lay down a protective copper coating.
wink.gif

I try to throw a couple down the bore every week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bullets remove rust and lay down a protective copper coating.
wink.gif

I try to throw a couple down the bore every week. </div></div>

I wish i could. So i should run a patch with gun oil down the barrel after each trip. Then when i go to shoot it dry patch it out?

How long are you putting it up for and what are you storing it in?

DO NOT store rifles in hard cases or anything else that seals without humidity control.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMG50CAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bullets remove rust and lay down a protective copper coating.
wink.gif

I try to throw a couple down the bore every week. </div></div>

I wish i could. So i should run a patch with gun oil down the barrel after each trip. Then when i go to shoot it dry patch it out? </div></div>

Bingo! Either oil or WD40 works well for me. Dry patch the rifle before you shoot it. This has kept my barrels in great shape for very long storage durations (in the safe).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long are you putting it up for and what are you storing it in?

DO NOT store rifles in hard cases or anything else that seals without humidity control. </div></div>

There being stored in my safe seem pretty air tight.

Im guessing next time ill get to play with them will be 9 months to a year. So im doing a full clean on all and hoppes orange bottle oiling them.

But normally i would store for 2 weeks then shoot them on avg.