• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SS vs. Carbon barrel weight

SWWI Shooter

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2018
I have a 6.5 Creedmoor Tikka CTR contour barrel which I've had cut down to 19 inches and straight fluted by RLI. I'm thinking of getting a 19-20 inch carbon barrel to save some weight and improve the balance (run a TB suppressor). My question is- Since the barrel is so short anyway, a relatively thin contour and fluted, am I going to save any noticeable weight by going to carbon? I wish I would have had LRI weigh the barrel before remounting it on the action so I had a point of reference, but unfortunately, I didn't. This is mainly a hunting rifle so 1/2- 5/8 moa (with hand loads) is the goal when finished. If this has been covered in another thread, please point me to it. Thanks!

I think the benefit of CF barrels is the ability to go larger diameter for stiffness and not heap on a ton of weight doing it. SO, I would suggest going to a fatter barrel profile in carbon. You might end up striking a balance with weight that way.

I have a question about this comparison as far as accuracy goes. Will the stiffness the larger OD of the CF barrel has help with extended fire (like typical prs stages) accuracy vs a lighter SS barrel?

OP hope I don’t derail your question but I was about ready to post this question and felt they went hand in hand sorta.

Reactions: FredHammer
I have a question about this comparison as far as accuracy goes. Will the stiffness the larger OD of the CF barrel has help with extended fire (like typical prs stages) accuracy vs a lighter SS barrel?

OP hope I don’t derail your question but I was about ready to post this question and felt they went hand in hand sorta.
SS still reigns champ on the competition side of things, weight is welcome, and replacement cost of barrels better with SS.

SS still reigns champ on the competition side of things, weight is welcome, and replacement cost of barrels better with SS.
the only difference being NRL Hunter and CD type matches where carbon is much more common but you're more likely to be in the 24"-26" range with a can hanging on the end

the only difference being NRL Hunter and CD type matches where carbon is much more common but you're more likely to be in the 24"-26" range with a can hanging on the end
Can you imagine my elation of going F-Class FTR and running 30" bull SS barrels? I get to hit the easy button for once! :D I'm looking for a 22" pop can diameter CF for my rambling canyons hunting rig though!

Reactions: b6graham
I shoulda stayed in my first post that this is for my 10yr son to start practicing for PRS type shooting. 6br so barrel life will be decent. Just trying to decide on cf vs a light palma type ss. My main question between the two barrels will a cf keep a bit better accuracy once the barrel gets warm?

light palma is more than enough for a 6BR

PRS moved away from light/CF builds to heavy as shit BR variants as the matches changed over time

it's as more about weight and balance than heat

unless you're getting a proof carbon prefit (merely because they are cost effective) i'd def just be going the steel route

Barrel "Fat Camp."

89634840_2789103331184407_7538905323860393984_n.jpg

I shoulda stayed in my first post that this is for my 10yr son to start practicing for PRS type shooting. 6br so barrel life will be decent. Just trying to decide on cf vs a light palma type ss. My main question between the two barrels will a cf keep a bit better accuracy once the barrel gets warm?
Stainless all the way. CF for hunting rigs. Whenever I ask somebody about heat/POI dispersion from CFs the conversation dies quickly.

Cool n all, and surely effective in reducing weight, but by the time you buy the blank, have it chambered, threaded etc., and pay the $350 for this fluting alone, have it coated, plus all the shipping fees and time, a carbon fiber option is suddenly the more cost effective and attractive option. I have two SS blanks that I would have already sent if not for the cost. Just can't justify it.

Cool n all, and surely effective in reducing weight, but by the time you buy the blank, have it chambered, threaded etc., and pay the $350 for this fluting alone, have it coated, plus all the shipping fees and time, a carbon fiber option is suddenly the more cost effective and attractive option. I have two SS blanks that I would have already sent if not for the cost. Just can't justify it.
Yeah, because we do this shit to save money! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, I hear ya.

One barrel in the machine is almost 5 hours of spindle time for "Pattern X". They just take a long time. As the saying goes, "Custom doesn't come in a box." We offer it because we have a demand for it and because it is unique.

Truthfully, I kinda lose my ass on it because we can flute a mess of barrels the conventional way in the time it takes to do one of these.

One barrel in the machine is almost 5 hours of spindle time for "Pattern X". They just take a long time. As the saying goes, "Custom doesn't come in a box." We offer it because we have a demand for it and because it is unique.

Truthfully, I kinda lose my ass on it because we can flute a mess of barrels the conventional way in the time it takes to do one of these.
COOL AINT CHEAP! ;)

Yeah I get it, and I'm glad you have demand. I was just pointing out why I specifically haven't done it, because I have certainly wanted to.