• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SS109 loads?

Re: SS109 loads?

Mine dont run as fast as m855 but im using 25.3 of h335 wolf or cci small rifle mag primers and either win / RP / LC brass.

I chrono'ed some a few months ago and measured the powder weight.....I'll have to check my reloading log book when I get home for the details. I'll have some data posted within an hour or two.

Ok, I just checked my data book. Several months ago I wanted to make some 5.56 "failure rounds" that would fire, but not cycle the bolt. I got a hold of 100 of the 62 grain green tipped rounds and tested them. I took apart 20 of them and this was the stats:

1) OAL was 2.247"
2) Unknown powder charge was an average of 26.2 grains.
3) Average velocity thru chronograph was 2965 FPS
4) Unknown primer.
5) Lake City Arsenal cases.

Temp: 84 degrees Faren.
Humid: 69%
Pressure: 30.11

I made some of my own rounds using the green tipped 62 grain bullets. I used remington cases with Winchester small rifle primers & 24 grains of Varget powder. This gave me velocities in the mid 2900 FPS. Very comparable to the original military rounds.....hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MGD.. what barrel length was your tests performed on?

</div></div>

Sorry,

I should've given that info. I was using my Bushy AR15 with a 14.5 inch barrel.

Appreciate the input. I have a mess of H322, would that work in this particular situation?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MGD.. what barrel length was your tests performed on?

</div></div>

Sorry,

I should've given that info. I was using my Bushy AR15 with a 14.5 inch barrel. </div></div>

Wow.. I thought you were going to say 20... 2950's comming out of a 14.5 is dang good!

Huey.... 322 is a little quick but it should work. I have loaded 55 grainers with h4198 at 20.5gns and it does okay.. about 2950's out of a 16". According to the Hodgdon manual they are not that far appart in burn rate. So....Start low and work up. I say the 322 should be okay because I remember reading some where ( and correct me if im wrong) that the 77 grainers from BH uses 322 at like 24 grains or something...got to be hot as hell.

I use 25g of TAC with mine in LC cases. Just plining rounds. I know they arent full power, but I like to get more than a few reloads out of my brass.

I was always under the impression that it was unsafe to load so close to actual M855 velocities. Reason being, without crimped primers you are going to experience popped primers and possible overpressure.