• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

tuckner

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2007
Minnesota
I'm looking to get a GAP rifle build and top it with an SSDS. I am still rather new to the precision shooting, but I am learning enough to know what I want...I think.

Is the BDC calibrated for a 24" bbl for the M118LR? I used the search function but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Re: SSDS

Yeah that is why I asked. Using standard M118LR. What barrel length does it need for factory M118LR to match the BDC?

Sorry maybe this doesn't make sense. Like I said, pretty new to this stuff. I just want to get the right gear now, the whole "cry once" thing (even though I have already cried a couple times, related more to me changing my "goals" rather than getting bad gear).

On an Army standard metro day, i.e., BP 29.53, humidity 78%, temperature 59 degrees, that's going to take a muzzle velocity of around 2660 feet per second.

Hi, Skunk! Cheers!
-- Lindy

Aye, my knowledge is too shallow. These answers are cryptic to me.

I will just talk to GAP when I am ready to order my rifle.

You betcha, Skunk! Glad to know you are coming!
laugh.gif

Cheers!
-- Lindy

Bro... please take this in the manner in which it is intended...

If the answers given here are cryptic then it would be best for you to study up on things a bit prior to making that call to GAP.

I offense intended in any way. Ask questions. Seek & ye shall find.

Obtain a full understanding of how BDCs track (how different projectiles & muzzle velocities will change this)..etc..etc.

Do you need a degree in ballistics? nope..

We're here to help. Just meet us halfway.

Semper Fi

-Wil

I understand the concepts involved here. Just couldn't figure out why nobody could give a simpler answer like the one given by Skunk.

I figured that the SSDS has a BDC for a reason, and the Scout Snipers aren't rolling their own ammo. What combo was it designed for to get minute of bad guy.

USO should be able to modify the BDC for my barrel and the 175g SMK anyways, and that would probably be the better answer for me?

Their website seems down at the moment. I will give them a call to see if this is feasable when it comes back up.

PS: I worked in the G3 and was around General Mattis for quite a few months. He is a great man, and that quote is one of my favorites of all time.

rgr that...

They can make you a custom BDC... absolutely...

However, It will not be the true SSDS...which is what I thought you were after...

They can make the BDC to track any round you want.. so long as you provide them the caliber, round type (weight), and muzzle velocity.

-Wil

It's going to differ from rifle to rifle. I have an SSDS on top of a rifle with a 22" Mike Rock barrel and my velocity is close enough to match the BDC just about dead on to 800 yards at my home range zero.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On an Army standard metro day, i.e., BP 29.53, humidity 78%, temperature 59 degrees, that's going to take a muzzle velocity of around 2660 feet per second.

Hi, Skunk! Cheers!
-- Lindy
</div></div>

FWIW 2660 is exactly the average chrono on M118LR out of my stock Remington SPS-T.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool! So now all you have to do is to arrange to shoot on an Army metro standard day!
laugh.gif

</div></div>

ah....would'nt you have to be a metro-sexual too!....

i'm just sayin...