• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SSG 69 reciever stampings

larrystine

Suffers from projectile dysfunction
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2013
Hey guys I collect Mannlicher shoenauer pre war sporting rifles and recently decided to start adding Steyr SSG 69's to my collection. I got hold of a PII 25.6" and noticed that it was stamped "SSG 69" on the reciever instead of "SSG 69 PII". This is a later gun. One of the 1000 that CDNN got a hold of. All the PI's i've come across are just stamped "SSG 69". Most PII's are stamped "SSG 69 PII". The elusive PIII are all stamped "SSG 69 PIII" the PIV that I've seen have all been stamped "SSG 69" My question for those in the know is... When did Steyr drop the PII stamping. Was it with the concurrent running of PII with the PIV? Also noticed all PIIK were stamped with just the 69 as well. If any of you have examples that are stamped differently please let me know.

Last edited:
Hard to say when it changed, maybe Steyr itself has some info on it.
Have you tried mailing Steyr?

I may have to give them a call. Also the late ssg69 pII don't have dovetailed recievers and have the picatinny screwed into place. So I'll ask when that change took place as well