• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SSG-82 "Wall Rifle" info?

Anchor Zero Six

Problem Solver
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2007
Corona Komifornia
Came across an SSG-82 today. Really neat little rifle chambered in 5.54x39.

It took me a few hours of googling to find out what it was. All the guy knew was that it was an eastern block rifle. I was able to find out the model is the SSG-82 which was made in East Germany and commonly refered to as a "Wall Rifle" as this was what the tower gurds at some points on the wall were equiped with, at least according to the internet LOL.

Anyone have any time behind one of these? Very curious as to how they shoot considering the ammo is dirt cheap. The price on this one seems to be a good deal based on some older auctions I found on GB. I was able to find a source of spare magazines and ammo seems to be very plentiful. Thinking it might make a fun plinker and conversation piece.

ssg82.jpg

Re: SSG-82 "Wall Rifle" info?

I have one, and have dusted some rocks with it out in the desert, but haven't put it on paper. I intend to do that before too much longer.

Beware of the brass-cased RWS "Match Ammo" originally sold with these. It generally doesn't want to extract, and I'm told has caused several broken extractors. I've had to pop a few fired cases out with a cleaning rod, and finally discontinued using it. The generic steel-cased ammo hasn't caused any such problem.

It's a nice little cartridge, and not a bad rifle for something different with a little Cold War history.

Cheers... Jim

Re: SSG-82 "Wall Rifle" info?

I have had many over the years-they are not know for their accuracy. Broken extractors are common.