• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SSG69 Bipod question

enichols

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2010
Southern CA
Hey Hide,
I have a Steyr SSG69 P1 with a black stock. Fantastic rifle, had it out to the range today and was slaying steel out to 600yd (max distance at my local range).

The stock has no provision for mounting a bipod. Many SSGs I've seen have an Anschutz rail in the forearm, but mine doesn't. I'm hesitant to drill into the stock to mount a swivel stud or pic rail as it's my understanding that the material is more fragile than modern fiberglass. I was thinking that I may be able to cannibalize the Anschutz rail from my TRG forend, and have the SSG stock inlet for that, but again I am hesitant due to the material of the stock.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230424_100733.jpg
    20230424_100733.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 81
I don't have an answer for you unfortunately, but that is a beautiful classic SSG.

Reactions: enichols
I believe that you are going to have to enjoy it as is. SSG 69 stocks are pretty brittle, and drilling and / or cutting into one is very risky and not advisable. PII stocks with the rail show up every once in a while on eBay, but will set you back a couple hundred bucks.McMillan made a stock for SSG 69's, but they are far and few between.

Reactions: enichols
I don't have an answer for you unfortunately, but that is a beautiful classic SSG.
Thanks!

I believe that you are going to have to enjoy it as is. SSG 69 stocks are pretty brittle, and drilling and / or cutting into one is very risky and not advisable. PII stocks with the rail show up every once in a while on eBay, but will set you back a couple hundred bucks.McMillan made a stock for SSG 69's, but they are far and few between.
That's what I was afraid of. But I figured it was better to be cautious and ask than to do something irreversible.

Parts are available in Canada pricy though for a stock, rail is separate but available also, you’d have to ask if it’s inlet for it.

I'm hesitant to drill into the stock to mount a swivel stud or pic rail as it's my understanding that the material is more fragile than modern fiberglass. I was thinking that I may be able to cannibalize the Anschutz rail from my TRG forend, and have the SSG stock inlet for that, but again I am hesitant due to the material of the stock.
I think prudence is the best course of action. That said, there is one option I'll throw out in case you really want a bipod stud in that stock - use a largish steel mounting plate with a threaded hole. This picture shows a custom bipod install in a standard SSG69 stock - but to me this set-up is asking for trouble. Too much pressure on the bipod and that stud might crack the stock given all the forces are localized to the nut's small surface area at the hole....

SSG_custom_bipod_stud_inside_stock.jpg

....what I would have done instead is make a 3/8" thick steel plate that fits into that ENTIRE front cavity in the stock. From there I would drill and thread a hole for the bipod stud (making sure it was long enough), and for added measure, I would probably epoxy the steel plate to the stock once the hole(s) are drilled. Theoretically, this set-up will distribute the forces of the bipod across a much larger surface area - and hopefully reduce the chances of cracking the stock from forces generated from the bipod. Not a prefect design and obviously two studs/bolts spread an inch or so apart would make it stronger. (Obviously it is critical that the tip of the protruding bipod stud doesn't impact the bottom of the barrel, so some grinding might be required.)
SSG_custom_bipod_stud_Plate_inside_stock.jpg

I mention this method, as the US military used it on some M14 rifles, where a strong steel mounting plate was threaded for three holes, two for the front sling swivel and one for the bipod stud itself. While this part is less critical with strong McMillan Fiberglass stocks, its necessary on wooden stocks - as otherwise they can crack at the mounting hole and ruin the stock if the bipod exerts too much pressure from weight and rough handling. My 2cts.
Stud 0.870 vs 1.45 from screw.JPG

The other option is to hunt down a new SSG-69 stock w/ the rail, but that will cost a good bit more $.

Last edited:
Have you considered mounting a Parker-Hale spigot where the front stud is located? I have an Anschutz rail and use a handstop/spigot with an original Parker-Hale on my SSG69. It is definitely a hefty and dated setup, but it works.

Another option is to hunt down a McMillan stock for it; I don't know if they still do runs of those or not these days.

Reactions: Muzzleflash