• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ST-10 or ST-10S on a 700P pic request..

BigBrother

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2007
New England
Hey guys, I may be switching soon from my Leupold to an ST-10 or 10S, but want to get a sense for sizing, etc. If you have a setup like this, could you post me some pics here? If it's not exactly an HS Precision stock, but close, that'd help too. But I'd really like to find a straight up 700P. And of course, let me know which it is so I'll know easily if I'm staring at the 37 or 44mm objective.

Thanks!
-BB

Re: ST-10 or ST-10S on a 700P pic request..

Search for ST10 and ST-10, you'll find some pics.

search for the user csgunworks.com. Mike has ST10s and he is also who I'd recommend getting one from.

The 10S limits you to specific "slimline" turrets that go with the slimline turret boss. If you want your choice of the other turrets - US #1, US #3, EREK - then you need to do with the regular ST-10 scope.

I'm trying to work out a build spec right now on an ST-10 as an alternative to the MK IV 10X M3. I'm leaning towards US #3 windage and elevation knobs, both with stops. That gives you 11 mils of elevation in one turn. The open issue right now is the #3s cannot be had with covers like the MK IV comes. I've been holding for wind and clicking for elevation mostly these days so a covered #1 wind and an EREK elevation may be the way I go with a fixed 37mm objective. GAP reticle. Tenth mil EREK and windage.

What do you think of this configuration?

EDIT: I guess my idea is not so original - I just found that exact configuration on csgunworks:

http://csgunworks.com/product_images/3204.jpg

To find the USOs on his site, do a search by manufacturer and use the dropdown to find USO.

NH-sounds good. I'm moa/moa myself (or to be really correct-IPHY/IPHY). I just got one of Mike's 37mm Ergo ST10's with #3 turrets, no stops. I may go for stops later, but mines on an 223 that'll be good to 750 on the first turn.
The tenth mil would be sweet, you should have 10.5 mil per turn on a #3. I'd spend the $$ on an Ergo objective over the Erek personally. Some have claimed th clicks are too close together, but mine feel great. If you don't need Illum, they can still build it in a tube you could add illum to later.
Older M3's did fine without covers, and I know USO's aren't going to have any problems w/out them.

Well this Saturday four of us shot standard chamberings and the 338s to 940 then the 338s at 1680. Today we shot a 60 shot match with targets from 200 to 885. The windage knobs were never touched - we all held for wind both days. The conversation came to windage knobs and some are opting for the #1 and just leaving the cover on. I have #3s on three USOs and do like the fact that getting a turn off is impossible with the stop and darned near without the stop, though am reconsidering the #1 for this build. It will go on a McM 50 repeater that is currently topped with a 10X SS. The more I shoot the 10X the more I like 10x though I want better knobs.

The ST-10 is just darned affordable in the world of high end scopes. Quite attractive.

NineHotel, I'm a little confused- you say you can only get slim turrets on an ST-10S, but then there are pics and your mention: "a covered #1 wind and an EREK elevation may be the way I go with a fixed 37mm objective."

Huh?

According to USO the slimline only comes with one set of turrets. All other references above by me are for the non-S variant of the ST-10.

The slimline "S" variant refers to the center turret boss of the scope and the turrets themselves, not the objective.

One of my shooting buds (GunTech on this forum) has the 37mm ST10S with EREK and moa reticle, it's NICE...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of my shooting buds (GunTech on this forum) has the 37mm ST10S with EREK and moa reticle, it's NICE... </div></div>

Shane - that contradicts what Jeff at USO told me on the phone last week. According to him if I understood the conversation correctly, the S designates the smaller turret boss and smaller turrets.

I'll contact them again for clarification.

Yeah, exactly, I'm confused. As far as I can tell from the site, just like with the SN-3S, it just means smaller objective, since all the options for turrets, etc. are still available.

EDIT - never mind, the site only shows the slim turrets for the S models.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBrother</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, exactly, I'm confused. As far as I can tell from the site, just like with the SN-3S, it just means smaller objective, since all the options for turrets, etc. are still available. </div></div>

Using the configurator on USO's site for the ST-10S, the only knob options are slimline #1 MOA or slimline #1 mil. No EREK or #3 knobs available in the configurator.

Okay, *THAT* was my confusion point. All the EREK knob + 37 I'm seeing are the ST-10 just with the 37mm objective option. I thought there was a clear distinction between 44 (ST-10) and 37 (ST-10S), but if you can get the 10 in 37, makes sense..