• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ST-17 comapred to SN-3 3.2-17. Please help

Keith Johns

Phoenix Custom Rifles
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
If I put all the options on the st-17 I'd want on the SN-3, it comes to 1,450. Thats $1,000 cheaper than the SN-3.

Now, I like the fact that its a 17x fixed. I like fixed power scopes.

My questions are:

How do they compare in quality. the glass, the durability, etc.

How does paralax ajdustment work on the st-17 since it too is fixed? Is the scope still very clear out to 1200 yards? Do I understand correctly that there's no adjustment every time you change distance? You just set it to about 300 and leave it?

With my leupy, I dont fuck with paralax. I leave it set to about 300 and its fine from 100 to 650. Not much time to fuck with your scope before needing to drop the yote. I HATE scopes that you need to dial in for 5 minutes before shooting. SIMPLE wins as far as I'm concerned

thanks

Re: ST-17 comapred to SN-3 3.2-17. Please help

I cant afford an SN-3 but the st-17 I can. If I'm loosing no quality between the two, I'll order it very soon. I'll call USO the ask them too but I want opinions from people who own both and are not biased because they work there.

So, ANYTHING you st-17 owners dislike about them??

Thanks so much
Keith Johns

Seriously would reccomend against a fixed 17x unless all you do is shoot paper on a KD range. If fixed is all you can afford get the ST-10.

Higher power is nice but it will get you lost fast while looking for targets. 10X is a good all around power think about how long the Marines were shooting fixed 10's and that should tell you something.

If you are insistant on the higher power but cant swing the cost of an SN3 look at Night Force.

I have had PR, NF and two USO's an ST-10 and the SSDS. Still have the ST-10 and its a keeper but I'm looking to get another PR (25x) or F1 Nightforce next.

YMMV

A.S.

Just wondering about the quality of the optics.

I've always kept my scopes fixed on around 16x. I dont have no trouble
wink.gif

Keith

If you don't need to dial down, a fixed is always gonna be more reliable than a variable.
Parralax is still either Ergo (AO) or TPal (SF).

I know my ST10's AO is more forgiving and easier than my SN3 was.......

Quality of the optics is IMO the same they dont skimp on quality just because one is more expensive than the other.

Either ST or SN series can be had with optional ERGO paralax adjustment and the SN with optional TPAL (turent paralax). Mechanicaly objective focus is simpler by design and most would say more durable. Depending on the OAL of the optic it can also be a PITA to adjust from your shooting position.

Mechanicaly the fixed is much less complex internaly and simple=reliable but overall USO quality is pretty high up there and I wouldnt get too wrapped up in which USO is tougher as all of them are stout and will continue to work well beyond the life of most others.

With parallax fixed on about 350 from the factory, will I be able to reach 1000 or so without it getting too blurry or even throwing sight picture off?

The leupy I'm using now is very fofgiving. I set parallax to about 250 and its fine from 100 to 550. I like simplicity, durability, and lots of crosshairs for holdover. I do not like using clicks

I am in near to the same boat AZ...same lake at least. I really only shoot at KD targets but want to be able to range accuratly with the reticle. So FFP is a desire, fixed are FFP so that is good there. I am running a 20x SS currently and I will say for 100% that searching for a target at 1100 yards is even dificult when you change position...have to pull off...find target...sight down barrel...then look through glass. My scope is slightly more mag but I am sure the FOV in the ST17 is much higher. I have been bouncing back and forth with the SN3 for a cost of $2600 or the ST17 for around $1500 also....then shit like IOR's FFP 2.5-10 comes around and when I use my other scope that is 4.5-14 and ranges on 12x it seems like plenty for 1100 yards....and is really easy to find targets.

Only word of advise on the fixed scope for hunting is maybe get a pic cap for your ring and mount a halo or quick dot say zeroed at 100 yards so in a quick draw you could get the 17x near target before looking through it.

But I would like to see some final answer on the paralax issue...I set my SS at 100 yards and then 200-300 and that is the only two changes I have to make from 100-1000. Seems silly to waste money on an extra feature that is barely used.

BTW DAFAR is a USO vendor...he is just new at it and a pisspoor sales man!!!!
laugh.gif
Should be running up to you like the Les Schwabs guys!!!!

Let me know DAFAR....is the discount still around? More over do you take payments?????
wink.gif
Trade you some T-shirts for a ST17!!!

Parallax error is worst when you are shooting inside of the distance the parallax is adjusted at (that's why AO's are rather inportant on rimfires).
Many folks get parallax and focus confused, but if you're lucky they match.

Keith, I just noticed someone selling a ST17 that had been converted to a SN3 3.2-17 by USO. Id didn't know that was doable, so if you get the ST17 now it could be an option later.

Yeah...I saw that...I guess anything can be done...sort of like the Illum turret body not filled so you could add it later....those $1900 prices are just GD sexy to boot!!!

So with a fixed parallax set at 200 yards, how far can you accurately shoot with an st10/17? Is getting the adjustable parallax on the front a MUST? Can I get away with shooting from 200 to about 800 with a fixed or am I going to be caring an alen wrench in the field with me?

Leupold says that there is so minimal POI shift that doing what I do is possible.(Leaving it set at like 250-300 yards.)
I like the simplicity of my set up right now but I want a retical that allows me to do more. 40 MOA of holdover with 1 and 2 MOA increments.... sounds heavenly

Keith

Personally I think the Ergo is more important than the Erek. The #3 elevation turret is 105 clicks per turn, and I know you have the skills to fit a nylon washer from Ace as a zero stop.
Being able to focus and eliminate parallax are very important to shooting distance effectively.
You can always set your objective to 250 and never touch it if you're happy with the sight picture.
A ST17 full retail can be had for under $1600:
ST-1700

Base price $1165
No options selected.
ERGO Upgrade - 200.00
44mm Low Profile - Standard Option
U.S. #3 1/4 MOA - 45.00
U.S. #1 1/4 MOA - Standard Option
30mm - Standard Option
No Color selected.
MDMOA - Illuminated - 160.00 <span style="color: #3366FF">(illum compatible reticle-actual illumination costs extra)</span>
No Reticle Lighting selected. <span style="color: #3366FF">(have them use a illum body scope tube, even if you're not getting illum-can be added later)</span>
No Eyepiece Housing selected.
No Eyepiece selected.

$1570

I'm too used to having scopes that don't require much, if any, parallax adjustment. The main reason I want a USO is the reticle they offer. I want a simple, durable scope with a kick ass reticle. I think the reticle is one of the most important things. Cause I hate usin' clix

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So with a fixed parallax set at 200 yards, how far can you accurately shoot with an st10/17? Is getting the adjustable parallax on the front a MUST? Can I get away with shooting from 200 to about 800 with a fixed or am I going to be caring an alen wrench in the field with me?</div></div>

Parallax is more critical on higher magnification. On a 10x you can adjust the parallax for 200 and shoot from 100 to 1000. That is in fact what we used to do with the Unertl 10x.

If parallax is present it makes your cheek weld more critical. If you have a PERFECTLY consistent cheek weld, then you shouldn't notice any error. If you can't get your face in the same spot, then you will notice issues.

If you are looking at fixed power scopes for anything more than benchrest competition I would suggest a 10x. Higher power is fine if you don't care about the severe reduction in FOV.