• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Staball HD in 7RM anyone?

Grim's Reapers

Operator
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2024
South Florida
Thinking of trying Staball HD in my 7RM with 26" barrel. Anyone tried any loadouts in 7RM with this stuff? I currently use H1000 exclusively because my rifle hates Retumbo and RL26 can't be found. My barrel copper fouls with a vengeance every 30 rounds or so, so I thought I'd give the Staball HD a go if it'll run decent in 7RM. Any experience with it is appreciated.

copper fouling is the bullet being cut away by the rifling (somewhat simplified), changing powders wouldn't change that. it sounds like you're shooting a new barrel? if so, it should cut down on that pretty well by 150-200 rounds.

H1000 is a phenomenal powder for the magnums - I wouldn't switch.

copper fouling is the bullet being cut away by the rifling (somewhat simplified), changing powders wouldn't change that. it sounds like you're shooting a new barrel? if so, it should cut down on that pretty well by 150-200 rounds.

H1000 is a phenomenal powder for the magnums - I wouldn't switch.
Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to respond sir.

I'm not going to switch from H1000, I'm just the type that's always fidgeting about. LOL The copper fouling (I realized after I thought about it in depth after posting) is probably due to a pretty new barrel and the fact that I'm shooting bullets with a very large bearing surface. Hornady 190gr A-Tips and Hornady 180gr ELD-M's. I think the fouling will slow down quite a bit after I put some more rounds through it.

I obtained two pounds of Retumbo on the cheap from a neighbor and my gun absolutely hates it. Did a ladder with it and my rifle basically gave me the finger for wasting my time.

I'll just stick with H1000. 67.5gr gives me 2890fps with a 190 A-Tip and seems to be who she wants to dance with.

Joe

If you’re testing out new things I’d also try the Berger 180 hybrids with 25-45 thou jump. It’s a phenomenal performer.

The adg brass is also extremely good for this caliber.

I'm running Peterson brass at the moment. It's worked out pretty good so far. I have 250 of them, the rest is an equal amount of Federal which is sort of ok.

Yeah, I've been eyeballing those Bergers but am trying to temper myself. LOL I have 400 Hornady 180gr ELD-Ms and 600 of the 190gr A-Tips. I shoot ELR and the BC of those 190gr A-Tips is ridiculous. I think the G1 is .838 off the top of my head. It's pretty hard to beat out at a mile.

I've had a couple of the 180gr ELD-M's blow up on me passing 200-300 yards launched at 3000fps through a 1:8 twist. They make a strange popping sound and dirt starts flying. LOL I think they're shedding their jackets?

I set my jump at 10-20 thou with the 180's and 190's. Never had one of the 190's blow up yet.

My bottom of case to ogive is at 2.7420 to get it 20 thou off the lands. Those 190's are 1.65" long with a pretty large bearing surface which I can't remember the length of. Thus the copper fouling I suspect.