• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Staball Match “heavy for caliber”

Squad51

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2020
Is Staball Match good for bullets that are not heavy for caliber? I want to use it for .308 and 5.56. The description says it’s for “heavy for caliber” bullets. Will it work well for 55 gn 5.56 and 150 gn .308?

Looking at Hodgdon's site both calibers show compressed charges and high charge weights for those weights without much benefit in velocity. I wouldn't think W-Match would be a good powder to try.

Reactions: Squad51
I have done lots of load work ups with Staball Match in 223, mostly 77 & 69 grain. Last Sunday I tried Match with the 52 SMK.
I should have tried this sooner…. LOL

IMG_2374.jpeg

Reactions: Doom and Squad51
I have done lots of load work ups with Staball Match in 223, mostly 77 & 69 grain. Last Sunday I tried Match with the 52 SMK.
I should have tried this sooner…. LOL

View attachment 8318854
How do those speeds and groups compare to your previous loads? What powder(s) were you using for the 52gr projectiles before?

Most of previous work with 52 SMK and 53 VMax was with H322 and N133, but I had tinkered with XBR. My brass prep is better now and my shooting form is better now, so I’d expect some better results than in the past. FYI, this particular rifle has never really liked the 53 VMax, but I’m still trying.

I plan on doing direct comparisons with Varget in the coming weeks with the 52 SMK, 53 VMax and 60 VMax. Should be a fun experiment

IMG_1680.jpeg

IMG_9267.jpeg

Reactions: simonp