• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stability question

Drumie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2005
Western New York
I have been playing around with some of the monolithic bullets in 6mm. I am shooting them out of a factory Accuracy International barrel in 6cm, the barrel says it is a 1-7.25 twist. I am able to push these at 3200 fps and I am almost at sea level where I live. At 100 yards I am getting under 1/2 moa groups with them. I have not yet shot them at distance. The stability calculator says it is marginal, 1.26. Would I expect to have issues at distance with these? I want to load up a bunch for a class I am going to but don't know if I would be wasting time with them.

I’m starting to jump into solids myself.
Can you add any more info..

Velocity vs cup core

What “regular” bullet were you running

mfg and weight of mono

mag length?

is that max velocity/pressure signs

All the good stuff lol

thanks

Probably be fine as long as they’re super sonic.
Spending money and going to a class without proven ammo is kinda risky though.

I will be taking some factory 6cm with me as well, along with another barrel for my AI as back up, just in case. I will prob just load up enough for the class and see how it does.

I am trying to remember what my load data was. The bullet was the PVA 100gr Seneca bullet. I haven't tried loading a lead core for this barrel yet. The best group was with 42.3gr of RL16 and I think I tested up to 42.7 with no pressure issues. The 42.3gr have me 3225fps, and I can't remember what the 42.7 load gave me. The case overall length I believe was 2.10" These will fit in a AW magazine.

Reactions: brianf
I have found that marginally stable bullets like in your case will shoot like shit once the temperature drops or the throat becomes rough after a lot of rounds. Everything seems to shoot well in new barrels, until they have a thousand rounds through them, then not so much.

Well I tested them in cooler than normal temps, so that is a plus. I am not that worried about barrel life, I can switch bullets then or just get a new barrel at that point. But thanks for that info.