• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stag Arms .22LR conversion kit, opinions?

Former0302

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2008
Baltimore County
I really like the idea of having a .22LR conversion kit for my AR's. Nothing like practicing on the cheap with the actual gear you'll be shooting for muscle memory.

My question is that I've heard it's better to spend the extra money and get a dedicated upper instead of the conversion kits.
Anyone had any experience with the Stag Arms kit? They make decent rifles, so I thought maybe this one would be a decent and slightly less expensive alternative to a dedicated upper.

Re: Stag Arms .22LR conversion kit, opinions?

$150 or so vs $350.
No re-sighting for dedicated.
Unless 12" twist barrel, Accuracy is plink worthy only for a conversion.
See SpecOps13's sticky on the Rimfire and Pistol Caliber page on AR15.com.
CMMGs conversions and uppers are the state of the art, functionally.

Not with stag but I ran the cmmg conversion I guess it was. Plinking at best as far as accuracy. I ended up buying a Nordic Components upper with 20" barrell. Very good company to deal with and the gun shoots very well. If you have the money for an upper i'd get it instead of a conversion. Just my opinion though.

Yeah, the only way to get good accuracy with a conversion is with a 12" twist old school barrel, or Aguila 60gr SSS ammo.

Dedicated upper is the way for accuracy.