• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stag Arms AR15 parts

tcj32645

Private
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2017
I need a part for my Stag Arms AR15. It is the spring loaded metal barrel that holds the Buffer Body in place. The metal extension/nipple has sheared off.
The problem is, this part is NOT listed or named in the rifle's manual. I need the name of this part and where I can buy a new one.
Any help would be appreciated!
Buffer Body Pin 001.jpgBuffer Body Pin 002.jpg
Buffer Body Pin 003.jpg

Thank You!

Buffer retainer and buffer retainer spring, less than $1 each. I usually get all my small individual parts from Rock River Arms.

Yup ... common to all AR15s. Source from almost anywhere. Brownells, Midway, Ranier ... all good to go. Basically a Mil-Spec part.

Or get a JP Silent Captured buffer spring assembly and you don't even need it ... and you will like your rifle much more!

When you order 1, order 3.

Its not a bad plan to keep around 2-3x of the small parts.

Organize in a small bin from the hobby store with labels. Then we will invite you to the nerd/OCD club.

Reactions: RTH1800 and MPrimo
Hey not for nothing but did you mess with the stock and buffer tube? I only ask because normally the buffer tube retains that piece so even it had sheared off it shouldn't have poked up like that, it's still be captured under the buffer tube.

I'm betting the buffer tube is not screwed completely in to capture the pin, yet still allow it to be moved up and down.
Looks like it got sheared off by the bolt cycling.

Reactions: 1snowcat
Or opening the rifle with the bolt locked back. Ask me how I know. This is another reason to always wear safety glasses when doing anything with a gun.

If it was a factory gun and installed correctly, this bassically never happens unless the part is defective.

You can see from the picture it's a poor mim part where the powdered metal did not get hot enough to fuse along with pressure to form the part. The poorosity also looks like there may be voids which contributed to the failure.

This is why you stick with quality lpks from colt, BCM, DD, kac ect. The difference between cheap consumer grade small parts that are not tested and premium brands who do testing is what you see here, a rifle deadlined becuase a manufacture saved .15 cents on a part.

Buy quality and this will not happen. Never saw a colt, h&r or FN M16/m4 with this failure in years of running a arms room and ranges.

Throw it away. It's just for convenience. You can stuff the buffer in and close it without it.