• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stage ideas for beginners

CShooter92

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
I figured this was the best place to put it after a bunch of searching on the forums. I am a member at a range that has about 75-80 steel targets scattered among the hills out to 950 yards. It is a great spot, but yet I am literally the only member I know of that has shot PRS. I was practicing one afternoon with a step ladder and some members came and asked about what I was doing. They showed some interest so it got me thinking.

I want to set up a small "match" for members of the club one afternoon. I'm thinking 8-10 stages, nothing crazy difficult or hard to set up, just to introduce members to PRS if they want to try it out. I've shot 6 matches at both club and PRS level so I have some good ideas for stages/obstacles but I'm just curious if you have any others I should be adding.

For example, I have a tire stage (2 targets, 1 shot at each before moving, 4 positions), Tank trap stage (1 target, 3 shots per position in 3 positions), typical PRS barricade stage, fence post stage, step ladder stage, the list could go on forever.

Any other stage ideas that are simple enough? Keep in mind, this is intended as a fun afternoon and hopefully just bring out club members to try it and maybe lead into a quarterly club level match. There will probably be a range of weapons from my comp rifle, to Bubba Hunter with his 308, hinged floor plate with a Leupold 3-9.

Even if anyone has copies of match booklets, I'd give them a read through to get some ideas.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
The possibilities are great, as you’ve already started. At first I wondered why so few rounds per stage but I see that you’re trying to keep the hunting rifles in the game, so cool.

anyway, since there will be hunters, have a stage that starts standing unsupported and requires them to make one impact on a shortish distance target beforeMoving on. Then drop to prone for a couple long distance targets.

The possibilities are great, as you’ve already started. At first I wondered why so few rounds per stage but I see that you’re trying to keep the hunting rifles in the game, so cool.

anyway, since there will be hunters, have a stage that starts standing unsupported and requires them to make one impact on a shortish distance target beforeMoving on. Then drop to prone for a couple long distance targets.
I've got one kind of like that. 400 yard target off a fence post, then drop prone and shoot the 950. Could definitely add in a 150-200 yard plate unsupported before the fence post. Thanks!!

Catering to the hunting crowd is mostly my issue here. These guys will likely be running hinged floor plates and top loading as the stage goes on. I'm considering a longer par time for floor plates vs. DBM setups to keep it kind of fair.

Reactions: lash
First few matches, keep it simple and easy.

Tank trap, barricade, prone troop line, tires, ladder, and something that will allow front and rear support (but not prone) like steps or something. Not much need to go over 6 or 8 stages max for mainly new shooters.

Minimum of 2min, or even 2:30 since it’s mostly new shooters. Or you can even do the first match without time limits, especially if it’s not a lot of shooters.

If running a time, you can always have the guys with box mags get the time paused for time to reload.

Targets also need to be 2moa or larger. The more hits new shooters get, the bigger the chance they keep coming out.

Thanks @Dthomas3523, I'm going to try to keep most target engagements under 5-600 yards as well just to make things a little easier for the new guys.

I like the idea of stopping the clock to reload a box mag, it won't be too intimidating for those guys then.

Last edited:
I’m new to matches. I’ve only shot three club matches. They were all limited gear. 1 bag and bipod. I had to quickly learn only hits matter as the pressure of being on the clock caused me to rush. My scores have gotten better since learning to concentrate on just making hits.

I would stick to a shorter format to start. Maybe 4-6 stages. I would throw in maybe 1 or 2 “gimme” targets on one stage because hits hook new shooters and build confidence. Maybe a 66% IPSC at 400 or so.

I would be generous on time but not too generous that the pressure is off. I would stick to limited gear and allow helping new shooters while on the clock. Especially when you start to stretch to your furthest targets.

I also would have 1 stage that is tougher like a typical PRS stage with a typical time allotment.

Basically you have some stages that beginners will get some hits, have fun, and build some confidence. Then a tougher stage that steps up the pressure. All while shooting in a helpful and fun atmosphere that allows coaching on the clock.

Reactions: CShooter92
Also, if possible, try to get the range to schedule “open range days.”

Days in which non members (if there is even a membership) can come out and shoot off props and at distance as much as they want.

Volunteer to basically RO the range day so you can help people and maybe even run some mini 3 stage comps for people who show up.

Anything to get them out there and Shooting and having fun. That’ll get them interested/hooked.

Reactions: CShooter92
Where is your range located?
I'm located in Saskatchewan, Canada. The range has a small membership (50) but a beautiful location for sure. PRS is starting to take off up here with a certain crowd but we still have an extremely high percentage of people who don't know of the sport at all.

I have about 8 stages drawn up, some pretty simple and some are like a typical PRS stage. Total round count is about 70. I will try to keep the engagements closer or at the larger targets on the range to ensure the new guys are getting hits. I'm doing this as an intro so shooters don't have to shoot all the stages if they don't want to either. If they only bring 50 rounds, that's fine.