• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Stage ideas for local match

Freediver111

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon
Hey guys,
I live in a pretty small community in eastern Oregon, but there’s a good number of shooters in the area. About once every few months we hold a “long range” competition. Pretty informal $20 buy in and cash divided for top three spots. The range has a variety of plates from 200-1100 yards. I’m looking for stage ideas. We generally throw in a variety of distances, some timed, some not, vary the shooter positions, etc.
Just wanted to see if there were some new ideas to try. We aren’t set up for big barricades or anything like that. Thanks in advance for any ideas to make it a little fresh and interesting. Thanks!

a hold over stage can be a challenge. where you can dial once before the stage starts. a stage where you have to reticle range is challenging too.

A fun stage is something we call Chaos. 10 rounds, 8 targets. Start off a rail or something that is kneeling or sitting height. First couple targets at or under 400 yards, different distances, shot from rail, post or barricade from kneeling or sitting position. Transition to prone and engage targets farther than 400-ish. Stage is timed and the two extra rounds can be used at anytime as mulligans (extra shots at a target. Otherwise it’s one shot per target.

Each target is at a different distance, distances and targets are identified ahead of time for everyone. This one is about knowing your dope at ranges and hitting them in one shot (two if mulligan is used).

Typically we make the time for this tight, so that not everyone will get a chance to complete the stage and some will time out. It should be doable by your best shooters though.

One stage we used to run was a strong side / weak side stage. lay down a 2x4 (sometimes on crates so if you knock it over it is -1 point) and engage a plate with 1 round from the strong side, jump over the board engage from the weak side, rinse and repeat. This is surprisingly tough, and doesn't require much other than a stick. If you make the plate somewhat hidden, it can get really tricky to find each time.

Note that the weak side position needed to have the trigger pulled by the weak side hand too.

EA05D2E4-E27B-4B4F-A3DA-A9B0A4FEA124.jpeg
ED41EAD4-DE8C-4AB9-B151-D4B5F90B6798.jpeg

Hey guys,
I live in a pretty small community in eastern Oregon, but there’s a good number of shooters in the area. About once every few months we hold a “long range” competition. Pretty informal $20 buy in and cash divided for top three spots. The range has a variety of plates from 200-1100 yards. I’m looking for stage ideas. We generally throw in a variety of distances, some timed, some not, vary the shooter positions, etc.
Just wanted to see if there were some new ideas to try. We aren’t set up for big barricades or anything like that. Thanks in advance for any ideas to make it a little fresh and interesting. Thanks!
Whereabouts in eastern OR?

Know your limits. Decreasing size targets at a set distance (300, 400, or 500). All shooters take one shot each in set rotation until last shooter with hits remains.

Drive to a match at PRSID match in Mountain Home Idaho, or to a match in Parma Idaho. Meet lots of solid people, and get lots of ideas.

I attended a match that included engaging some targets with a handgun on the clock b4 picking up your rifle. Handgun rounds were unlimited and you had to hit all the targets, unload show clear, then pick up your rifle. It was fun. Just make sure you make it safe. Pistols and rifles were staged unloaded.

I always thought a twelve round, six target KYL rack would be fun and something different. Must hit each target twice before moving on to the next target. Do it off a barricade at shorter distances. Start at 3 or 3.5 moa and make the smallest plate 0.5 moa.

Even run the above with two KYL racks at different distances, one at 300ish and one at 450ish, must hit the target at each distance before moving on to the next plate. 90 second time limit.

Force guys to choose between going fast on the large targets to "bank" time for the 1moa and 0.5moa plates. Or, take your time and get points knowing that 0.5moa off a barricade isn't a gimme.

i'm not in great shape but this was a fun stage. standing 10' behind prone gun already set up and roughly on target. grab a chip out of the bucket and throw it in the bucket near your gun. hit the deck, take a shot. get up and run to back bucket, grab a chip, etc, etc. 120 second or so time limit. most hits, wins.

three log sections propped up a couple of feet apart. 3-5 targets at varying distances. hit them all from the different positions. has both moving transitions and target transitions. sort of like 3 gun but at longer ranges/smaller targets.

similar, get an old car. multiple targets. shoot the array from hood, roof and trunk.

i'm not in great shape but this was a fun stage. standing 10' behind prone gun already set up and roughly on target. grab a chip out of the bucket and throw it in the bucket near your gun. hit the deck, take a shot. get up and run to back bucket, grab a chip, etc, etc. 120 second or so time limit. most hits, wins.

three log sections propped up a couple of feet apart. 3-5 targets at varying distances. hit them all from the different positions. has both moving transitions and target transitions. sort of like 3 gun but at longer ranges/smaller targets.

similar, get an old car. multiple targets. shoot the array from hood, roof and trunk.
We do the poker chip stage, it's a blast.

We’ve done a variation on this pretty often.

Your rounds for the stage, 6 or so, are placed ten feet behind your rifle, which is set up in the prone. You start with an empty mag in the rifle and a single round in your hand or a mag in your hand with one round in it. At command, you run to your rifle slam the mag or round in and engage a 1 moa target.

Return to where your loose rounds are, grab another, hand feed and do it again. Keep doing this until either out of time or rounds. Usually the former.

This is a good stage to get your heart rate up and still have to engage a small target.

2 shots at 400yd target (prone or barricade)
1 shot standing unsupported at 200yd full ipsc (maybe 66%? But big and easy)
2 shots at 500yd target (prone or barricade)
1 shot standing unsupported at 200yd full ipsc
3 shots at 700 yard target (prone or barricade)
10 rounds
This forces the shooter to build thier shooting position 3 times. If they are quick they will hold under for the standing target. Make the 500 ad 700 yard targets healthy size to help with not quite perfect position building.
Just and Idea, I'm sure I'll get hate for the unsupported shooting.

Reactions: lash
2 shots at 400yd target (prone or barricade)
1 shot standing unsupported at 200yd full ipsc (maybe 66%? But big and easy)
2 shots at 500yd target (prone or barricade)
3 shots at 700 yard target (prone or barricade)
10 rounds
This forces the shooter to build thier shooting position 3 times. If they are quick they will hold under for the standing target. Make the 500 ad 700 yard targets healthy size to help with not quite perfect position building.
Just and Idea, I'm sure I'll get hate for the unsupported shooting.
I like this one and may steal it when we can have matches again.

Reactions: Jack Master
I always thought a twelve round, six target KYL rack would be fun and something different. Must hit each target twice before moving on to the next target. Do it off a barricade at shorter distances. Start at 3 or 3.5 moa and make the smallest plate 0.5 moa.

Even run the above with two KYL racks at different distances, one at 300ish and one at 450ish, must hit the target at each distance before moving on to the next plate. 90 second time limit.

Force guys to choose between going fast on the large targets to "bank" time for the 1moa and 0.5moa plates. Or, take your time and get points knowing that 0.5moa off a barricade isn't a gimme.
I've got a plan to run something along these lines. A single KYL rack shot first from a prone position and then off a barricade. Size the rack so the smaller targets will be a challenge from the prone position. Points are banked but you need to start over if you miss. The shooter needs to decide when they give up on the prone position and move to the barricade to get the easier points on the large plate from the barricade. Once you move to the barricade you can't go back prone.

KYL....KYL...KYL...KYL....KYL.....KYL...
And yes if you keep shooting after your mulligan and miss again you loose your points!!!!

KYL....KYL...KYL...KYL....KYL.....KYL...
And yes if you keep shooting after your mulligan and miss again you loose your points!!!!
Come on man! Everybody knows that's not fair to the shooters that go for the last target and miss costing them the match.

• Haha
What's a mulligan?
Alot of KYL stages were setup so that if you missed 1 shot you keep the points you already have BUT, you can CHOOSE to shoot again or until you miss. If you missed again then you got ZERO points for the stage!!!!!

I likey likey KYL

Alot of KYL stages were setup so that if you missed 1 shot you keep the points you already have BUT, you can CHOOSE to shoot again or until you miss. If you missed again then you got ZERO points for the stage!!!!!

I likey likey KYL
Around here it was normally ran if you missed you lost all your points but could start over. Usually with a 10 round limit so you really only had 2 chances at the smaller plates for points.

Reactions: lash and 1moaoff
How about a changing distance KYL rather than a smaller target KYL at the same distance?
Targets at 300-400-500-600-700 (target size will need to be considered for harder or easier.) 1.5 moa each? or they are all the same side 12" sqaure. This makes the close ones super easy but 700yds is less than 1 moa.
From a prone position shoot near to far, one shot each. 1st miss and you keep your points. 2nd miss and you get zero. Stop shooting when you want.
There are a lot of ways to play the KYL scoring game. After the first miss you could allow shooters to go back the nearest target and start the "rack" again but they forefit the round counts on the targets they didn't attempt to engage. Example - 300-hit, 400- hit, 500-hit, 600 mis --> they can now try to re-shoot the 600 then to the 700, or go back to the 300 but drop a shot for not shooting at the 700.
You could also play with scoring on this, only have 300, 400,500,600 yard targets but make the 600yd worth 2 points.

This is the one shot one kill game, maybe that's the name of the stage, "One shot, one kill, KYL". It like shooting 5 one shot groups rather than one 5 shot group.

Another version is to make the targets large and health, then give one shot each and increase points as you go out. 4 targets 1,2,3,4 is 10 points, or 5 targets is 15 points. You could also make this 10 round max, hit to move on and targets are really small to make them hard to hit.

Reactions: 1moaoff

I likey likey KYL

I'm just being a smart ass. We dont do mulligans up here.

One stage we used to run was a strong side / weak side stage. lay down a 2x4 (sometimes on crates so if you knock it over it is -1 point) and engage a plate with 1 round from the strong side, jump over the board engage from the weak side, rinse and repeat. This is surprisingly tough, and doesn't require much other than a stick. If you make the plate somewhat hidden, it can get really tricky to find each time.

Note that the weak side position needed to have the trigger pulled by the weak side hand too.

I am usually the first one to say "life's not fair", and I realize I fall well outside the average, but for guys like me with 20/100 vision in one eye, this type of stage is pretty unrealistic. I was shooting in a small match once and was doing pretty well for myself, probably 3rd or 4th place out of 20 shooters. Everyone finished their stages early, so on the fly they came up with an extra stage - weak side only. I did my best but scored a big fat 0 and dropped down to about 17th place.

How about a changing distance KYL rather than a smaller target KYL at the same distance?
Targets at 300-400-500-600-700 (target size will need to be considered for harder or easier.) 1.5 moa each? or they are all the same side 12" sqaure. This makes the close ones super easy but 700yds is less than 1 moa.
From a prone position shoot near to far, one shot each. 1st miss and you keep your points. 2nd miss and you get zero. Stop shooting when you want.
There are a lot of ways to play the KYL scoring game. After the first miss you could allow shooters to go back the nearest target and start the "rack" again but they forefit the round counts on the targets they didn't attempt to engage. Example - 300-hit, 400- hit, 500-hit, 600 mis --> they can now try to re-shoot the 600 then to the 700, or go back to the 300 but drop a shot for not shooting at the 700.
You could also play with scoring on this, only have 300, 400,500,600 yard targets but make the 600yd worth 2 points.

This is the one shot one kill game, maybe that's the name of the stage, "One shot, one kill, KYL". It like shooting 5 one shot groups rather than one 5 shot group.

Another version is to make the targets large and health, then give one shot each and increase points as you go out. 4 targets 1,2,3,4 is 10 points, or 5 targets is 15 points. You could also make this 10 round max, hit to move on and targets are really small to make them hard to hit.
5CC00E38-5AA6-4FE2-BB13-14B4608C2B04.png

Just sayin’... ;)

Ahh Crap... Bad math, I drank too much last night and my hamster isn't on his wheel yet... thanks for pointing it out... so maybe just under 2 mao at 700.
I do like your idea though, about using the same size plate at each of those distances. Except I’d use a 6”/7” plate at each distance. In my opinion, the last target on a KYL rack should always shoot at 1/2 moa or less.

Reactions: Jack Master
I do like your idea though, about using the same size plate at each of those distances. Except I’d use a 6”/7” plate at each distance. In my opinion, the last target on a KYL rack should always shoot at 1/2 moa or less.
Kind of depends how far out it is. 1/2 moa at 200 is easier than 1/2 moa at 700 for for basically every condition.

Fairly true, but that’s the whole pint of a KYL rack anyway isn’t it? To know when it’s time for you to stop? Otherwise, we’d just lube it up and call it the KY rack.

But seriously, at our range, we use at 6” round plate at that range for know your limits. On a good day it’s totally doable by most. On a squirrely wind day, it eats most peoples’ lunch.

We do a troop line at my place with 33% IPSC targets going from 400 to roughly 700. They are about 6x10 in size and are on the smaller size after the third one. Makes for a challenging stage.