• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stainlees steel media

3fingervic

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2011
Clinton Twp., MI U.S.A.
I'm convinced stainless is the way to go when it comes to cleaning brass. Can it or should it be used dry? If it can't be used dry, is there a vibratory tumbler that will hold water? I'm trying to avoid spending the $180+ for a Thumler's model B.

Re: Stainlees steel media

Yes it needs to be wet. The vibratory tumblers are not strong enough to move the weight of the media around. Plus you would need a lot more media to full the tumbler up. Sorry! Some sort of rotary tumbler is what you need.

I've been using a cheapie Harbor Freight tumbler for the same reason, I didn't want to spend around $200 on a Thumblers. I got the HF one for $40 including the extra 1 year warranty and I use it almost constantly. It's been going strong since the first week of Aug. 2010, eventually it will probably die but if I get a year from it then I'll be satisfied.

It doesn't have the capacity of the Thumblers B but it's not far enough off to make me regret buying it.

Rotary is the way to go, but there are different options of what rotary to get.

That is what I figured. I may have to bite the bullet and spend $250ish on the kit. Thanks for the link. I'll check out the HF one.

I would say it would probably need to be wet and rotating to get the best results.

Im sure something would happen in a dry vibratory setup, but It probably wouldnt be as nice as what you would get in a rotary setup.

Mine should hopefully be in the mail. Hopefully I can get the results that everyone else has.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rebel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine should hopefully be in the mail. Hopefully I can get the results that everyone else has. </div></div>

You shouldn't have any trouble if you stick with the lemishine and dawn/ivory/ajax combo at the recommended measurements. My first go around following the instructions in the original thread gave me picture perfect results. Well worth the money IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage Lover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check Ebay, I have seen them sell for $100 </div></div>

Yup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CardiacKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You shouldn't have any trouble if you stick with the lemishine and dawn/ivory/ajax combo at the recommended measurements. My first go around following the instructions in the original thread gave me picture perfect results. Well worth the money IMO. </div></div>

Is it any of those or a combo of all three? If need be I can go through the whole thread but it would be much appreciated if you could give the recipe for everyone. Thank you much.

It's lemishine (either a 9mm or .40S&W case full for rough measurement) and then a couple squirts of any one of those soaps. I fill the water up to about 2" from the top of the rubber. You'll fine tune it as you go - seeing just how much a "a couple squirts" gets you regarding how sudsy the water is when completed.

Ok good deal, was hoping it would be something simple. Got some range brass I can use for the lemishine. Its really amazing how much brass I got from my range so far. Seems like a could fight a war by myself with as much 5.56 ammo I've picked up. Really hoping this works as well for me as it has for everyone else. Pretty exited to see what it can do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rebel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok good deal, was hoping it would be something simple. Got some range brass I can use for the lemishine. Its really amazing how much brass I got from my range so far. Seems like a could fight a war by myself with as much 5.56 ammo I've picked up. Really hoping this works as well for me as it has for everyone else. Pretty exited to see what it can do. </div></div>

you wont be disappointed.. i love mine

My stainless package came in and the drum on my tumbler doesnt have the rubber ring around the edge on one side like is shown on STM's instructional video. The one that is supposed to increase friction between the roller and the drum. Did anyone elses come with one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rebel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My stainless package came in and the drum on my tumbler doesnt have the rubber ring around the edge on one side like is shown on STM's instructional video. The one that is supposed to increase friction between the roller and the drum. Did anyone elses come with one?</div></div>

None of the drums have that on it. It is a aftermarket roll of grip tape from Home Depo. If you keep the drum dry you will not have problem with it. The drum will only slip if it gets water on it. If you put grip tape on, make sure you put it all the way around. No gaps.

All right, I bought a model B. Lemi Shine, I can get a Walmart, and I have dish soap. I did see some deals for media on Ebay, but can anyone tell me the size that I should be buying? Thanks in advance.

Well, managed to get a model B (used) for 140.00 shipping included. 5# of steel in route and Lemi Shine (3.99 at Meijer). Hope I get as good of results as the rest of you guys. Thanks for the help, and the peer pressure.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3fingervic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, managed to get a model B (used) for 140.00 shipping included. 5# of steel in route and Lemi Shine (3.99 at Meijer). Hope I get as good of results as the rest of you guys. Thanks for the help, and the peer pressure.
smile.gif
</div></div>

You will NOT be dissappointed!