• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stainless Barrel on Blued action

texrifleman

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2008
San Antonio
Will putting a stainless barrel on a blued action induce corrision because of the dissimilar metal interaction? The action is a savage long action with carbon steel (or chrome moly) barrel nut.

Re: Stainless Barrel on Blued action

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't seen it on the alloy steel actions with SS barrels that I've owned, taken apart, rebarreled, etc.

</div></div>

same with mine....

Dissimilar metal corrosion is far more common in situations with less noble alloys than either the stainless or chrome moly steel use in weapons grade aplications. Such as a joint between aluminum and steel. Regular maintenance and lubrication with persisant penetrating lubricants will minimize any chance of dissimilar metal corrosion between most any two metals.

Sorry, short answer is not. Treat it like any other gun and clean/lube it as normal: It'll be fine.

Of course it might be a fashion faux pas...
grin.gif

.............................the horror....................the horror.......................

Thanks guys. I am a function over form person therefore not worried about looks. I plan on ceracoating the barreled action anyway.