• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Suasponte

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I have had several PM's asking "Does the SS media really clean that well"!

I am asking those of you that have switched to please chime in and post your results "BE IT GOOD" or "BE IT BAD".

I would rather have other people say how its performs than me! I do not want anyone thinking I am a snake oil salesman.

If possible post pictures of your results.

Thanks

Terry

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

SDC10198.jpg
SDC10195.jpg
SDC10193.jpg

Love it. I wont switch.

No pics, but the hype is real. I love the stainless media method, and wouldn't do it any other way. So simple, and so effective.

The pictures above are real, that is how it looks.
I like it because it requires less attention and no acid is involved.

Good shooting
Ron

PM the gentleman that started the thread. Around a 4 hour tumble.

SDC10208.jpg

Picture of a .308 win case and some of the media. Just so you get an idea of the size of the media.

I think this photo shows it all! It was crappy 9mm brass that had been sitting on the range for a few months. They got mixed in with some 40 S&W brass I was tumbling so you can see the before and after on the same case>

DSCI0001-8.jpg

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In da weeds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where do you get this type of media?
</div></div>

PM Sent!

Terry

This looks interesting,
What would I expect to pay to get set up with this cleaning system.
The whole works.
Thanks

This is the only way I am cleaning. Brass comes out extremely bright and shiny...inside and out. It even cleans the flash holes and primer pockets.

Watching Terry's videos he posted on his process was helpful. I use a similar process, but I use a Dillon separator rather than a frankford with a wood dowel added.

I also dump the brass and media from my tumbler into a wire mesh strainer and run the water through them to get the soap off.

I also use Ivory and have been pleased with it. No scientific measuring, I just squirt a bit in.

I am going to build a drying box soon, but so far have just been laying the brass out on a towel over night and it seems to work.

I would like to see the vidios of this process, can anyone direct me to the thread.
Thanks

I want to believe! But the linky no worky.

I am most definitely interested in this thread, and it's outcome. I've gone from the vibratory to the Ultrasonic, and appreciate it's values.

Now whether this format is better than US, I'm looking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 918v</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to believe! But the linky no worky. </div></div>

wierd, it's working for me.

Link is working for me too. The vids are 3/4ths of the way down at post #1244290

So I saw a vid with someone picking up some of the media with a magnet -- so it is magnetic SS? If so, can the pieces become magnetized over time by picking them up with a magnet, and then clumping together impairing performance?

I am going to try this out, I found a tumbler.
Can you give an exact measurement, style and supplier of the stainless steel media.
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PM me some details too please. </div></div>

PM Sent!

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308sako</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I gather the vibratory method does not apply?

</div></div>

No the stainless media only works with rotary tumbling, warm water, and dish soap (Lemonshine and citranox added to the mix helps too but is not required).

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cartman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I saw a vid with someone picking up some of the media with a magnet -- so it is magnetic SS? If so, can the pieces become magnetized over time by picking them up with a magnet, and then clumping together impairing performance? </div></div>

No, I have been using this for a couple years now and no magnetic results in the media!

Terry

thumler's tumbler mod. B high speed heavy duty from buffalo arms co. cost me $177.90 shipped to az.plus the ss media from the man.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nwsnowbum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going to build a drying box soon, but so far have just been laying the brass out on a towel over night and it seems to work. </div></div>

1) Metal 800 Round 5.56 ammo can
2) Light fixture from Home Depot
3) 67 Watt ligh bulb
4) Axial fan off Ebay Link to Fan on Ebay
5) chicken wire from Home Depot
6) 2" long Bolts with lock washers
7) Electrical wire and a plug for the light fixture

Terry

DSCI0001-5.jpg

Talking with a couple guys that have built drying boxes too! I forgot to add that you must elevate the Axial fan off the bottom of the ammo can otherwise it will not operate properly.

See photo!

DSC00068.jpg

Yup, thats exactly what I was planning for my drying box. Had some other hair brained plans, but decided that would be cheapest and probably best plan.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.</span></span>

I don't use a tumbler, but would like to see the results of the poll. Should I vote when I really have no input?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winchester 69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.</span></span>

I don't use a tumbler, but would like to see the results of the poll. Should I vote when I really have no input? </div></div>

Yeah, I F'd up doing the poll and clicked the wrong thing! I tried to go back and change it so it was visable all the time but could not!

<span style="color: #FF0000">Site Admins! Could you change the poll to be shown so everyone can see the results no matter what!</span>

Thanks

Terry

Poll results as of when I edited is

8 - YES
1 - NO
9 - Better Thans

Curious on a couple of levels;
You mentioned that you deprime the cases prior to doing the tumbling. Have you had issues with damage or wear to your dies? DO you have specific dies that are “sacrificial”. I have watched the youtubes and appreciate the work you have put into them. Can you please send me the info on the SS media.

I don't use any special dies, but I have pulled the expander ball on all of my sizing dies. I just make sure to keep my dies clean, and have not had any problems with depriming before tumbling.

I am about to order more stainless media so that I have extra on hand. For those on the fence about this...just do it.

What did the two people so far that said no think about it? Just courious doesn't realy matter. Just would like to see why

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You mentioned that you deprime the cases prior to doing the tumbling. Have you had issues with damage or wear to your dies? DO you have specific dies that are “sacrificial”. </div></div>

I use the LEE Decapping die! It is a die mad only for punching out primers! I also purchased a cheapo Lee Press that I use only to deprime the brass.

Link to Surplus rifles Artical about the Decapping die

Terry

Chiller >>> PM has been sent!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What did the two people so far that said no think about it? Just courious doesn't realy matter. Just would like to see why </div></div>

I would guess that it was someone that does not have the media placing a vote so they could see the poll results!

Just my opinion! I have not talked to anyone that has used this stuff the does not love it!

Terry

I use the sinclair decapping die. I haven't tried Lee or Redding or any of the others. But I am happy with the Sinclair. It works just fine.

Second that this is the way to go .
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't use any special dies, but I have pulled the expander ball on all of my sizing dies. I just make sure to keep my dies clean, and have not had any problems with depriming before tumbling.

I am about to order more stainless media so that I have extra on hand. For those on the fence about this...just do it. </div></div>

I'm interested in a source for the media. Can the OP PM the details to me?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: poles93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am also interested in getting the contact info for the source of the SS media can someone please PM me with it. Thanks </div></div>

PM Sent!

Poll Results for those who cannot view it as of 6:30pm EST 12/26/09

Yes - 9
No - 3
Better Thans - 11

Terry

I bought all the stuff after talking back and fourth with suasponte. After a couple tumbles I found what works best and I will never look back. It does take a little more time then tumbling them in corn cob but I believe the results are way way better. I did 450 rounds of .308 last night in two tumbles. Took 4 hours a piece but they came out looking brand new.

Thank you Suasponte,
Kc

If you add leminshine or a teaspoon of citranox to the tumble it will cut your tumbling time! Also, if you get a 2 liter bottle with warm water, dish soap, leminshine or citranox and let is soak for prior to tumble it will also cut your time.

I take a cheapo LEE press and decapping die to the range with me a deprime while I shoot and put them in the soapy water and citranox. This really makes a difference! I think it has a lot to do with allowing the carbon to harden.

Terry

i need to order some of the media, can someone pm me the source. thanks.

First hundred are through. The brass comes out clean beyond clean. Inside, outside, primer pocket....Next 150 are in the process. The only thing I could wish for is a larger tumbler to process it faster.