• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stainless steel model1 fluted barrel accuracy

SHO~BIZ308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2011
USA
I just received a 16" 1:8twist fluted stainless steel heavy barrel from Model 1 for my 556/223,do any one know the accuracy feedback on these barrel and what type ammo and grain do these barrels like.

Re: Stainless steel model1 fluted barrel accuracy

I've got a stainless fluted 20" M1S SS .223 chambered upper that shoots 62grn JHP golden bear 1/2 MOA.

dsc0393oz2.jpg

P1010056.jpg

P1010074.jpg

Those barrels are E.R.Shaw if I remember correctly, and they DO shoot.I have one in 5.56,it's a 24" fluted on a varmint style AR and it's the MOST accurate semi I own.Puts 69gr pills into tiny little holes all day if I do my part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exhogflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those barrels are E.R.Shaw if I remember correctly, and they DO shoot.I have one in 5.56,it's a 24" fluted on a varmint style AR and it's the MOST accurate semi I own.Puts 69gr pills into tiny little holes all day if I do my part. </div></div>

yeah, people dont beleive me when I put ammo most consider "junk" into small groups at 500 yards with a M1S gun. They get downright NASTY about it even.. you'd think I told them there was no God!

BTW, what twist rate is yours?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Exhogflyer said:
Those barrels are E.R.Shaw if I remember correctly, and they DO shoot.I have one in 5.56,it's a 24" fluted on a varmint style AR and it's the MOST accurate semi I own.Puts 69gr pills into tiny little holes all day if I do my part. </div></div>

yeah, people dont beleive me when I put ammo most consider "junk" into small groups at 500 yards with a M1S gun. They get downright NASTY about it even.. you'd think I told them there was no God!
What ammo would you recommend. and what the farthest you think my 556/223 would do with this barrel,Dude your AR is nice i love the hand guard. I was told to never shoot ammo with lacquer coating on it .What your opinion on that.

I had one in 223 with 20" SS fluted bull barrel and it to was an E.R. Shaw and it shot under .25 all the time and with ease. If i remember right it was a 1-9 twist and liked the bigger bullets around the 60gr and up. Not sure on the load recipe but i'm sure i could find it.

I have a 24" 1 in 8 twist that seems very accurate. easy under 1" at 100 and a 12" circle at 600yds really is childs play. I shoot 75gr hornady match but have some 77smk's on the way, be here monday.

Took my friend out last friday and he had never shot the gun or at any distance over 200. showed him the 600 yd target and after watching me bang a few rounds he tried. reset scope for 0 (100yd) told him how to adjust it for what ever yardage he wanted. after hitting the 200 yd steel two times he went straight for 600 and was 10 for 10. He had 4 shots touching (pissed me off cause i think he shoots it better than me). some people give me shit about the "model 1 sales" but mine shoots.

Some of the tubes they sell are pretty darn good. I have a 1:8 from them that is every bit as good as the kriegers or liljas I have.

I had a M4 kit from model one. Ran good and was very suprised at the accuracy of the standard kit. Just wanted a blaster and ended up with a 1 moa or less rifle.

Most of the steel I have is polymer coated now, and have had no issues with it. That being said I've fired a few hundred rounds of lacquer coated ___bear ammo through it and just cleaned it w/a chamber brush and it ran fine.

What scopes are you guys using to be getting those type groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SouthPawShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had one in 223 with 20" SS fluted bull barrel and it to was an E.R. Shaw and it shot under .25 all the time and with ease. If i remember right it was a 1-9 twist and liked the bigger bullets around the 60gr and up. Not sure on the load recipe but i'm sure i could find it.</div></div>

That would be very helpful if you could share that be cause i know there's others besides me that would need it. I'VE only shot 55 grain in mine {federal xm193}

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2ndamendfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 24" 1 in 8 twist that seems very accurate. easy under 1" at 100 and a 12" circle at 600yds really is childs play. I shoot 75gr hornady match but have some 77smk's on the way, be here monday.

Took my friend out last friday and he had never shot the gun or at any distance over 200. showed him the 600 yd target and after watching me bang a few rounds he tried. reset scope for 0 (100yd) told him how to adjust it for what ever yardage he wanted. after hitting the 200 yd steel two times he went straight for 600 and was 10 for 10. He had 4 shots touching (pissed me off cause i think he shoots it better than me). some people give me shit about the "model 1 sales" but mine shoots.</div></div>

WOW 75gr dam i was told not to shoot nothing over a 69 because mine was a 1:8 16". let me know how it shoot. post some target pic.

sled agent, I have a Vortex Razor on mine. Also I will take some photos next time I go out. Probably be a couple of weeks though. I was shooting at an altitude of 6500ft with a density altitude of 7340, It is my understanding that this does help stablize heavier bullits. Also everything I have read says 1:8 should stablize the heavier stuff anyway. Southwest 77 smk's will be here monday. I will keep you posted.

Oh and by the way, on accident I bought some 50gr when I first got the gun and it DOES NOT like them at all. I think they come apart or something because the 100yd group was 8"+. I was pissed. 55's are much better, but it really likes the heavier stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2ndamendfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh and by the way, on accident I bought some 50gr when I first got the gun and it DOES NOT like them at all. I think they come apart or something because the 100yd group was 8"+. I was pissed. 55's are much better, but it really likes the heavier stuff.</div></div>

What makes the bullet come apart I read about that before but didn't get it, and if it did come apart how did you still get 8" hits.
I'm learning here.

I have had good luck with m1s barrels as well. They run both E.R. Shaw and Krieger barrels on their guns. Shaws go on everything except their 20" NM and their AR10 uppers.

I have shot many of their rifles, and 98% of them hold moa or better for me. Their AR10s do much much better than that.

Will my moa be determined by the type scope i have because my scope has 1/2 elevation clicks, 1/4 windage.

The 50 grain bullets are traveling at 3400fps, the 75 grain ones are doing 2780fps. So the 50 is spinning at 25,500 rpm and the 75 are spining at 20,850. Some bullets can't handle these forces. The 50gr bullets have real thin jackets, and that may be part of it. the videos of bullets "exploding" from "over stabilization" usally turn to a puff of dust about 2ft from the muzzle. I swear I saw this once on about the 20th shot. I could not account for all my bullets and the 8" group was the best of the day. I am not saying for 100% that they where coming apart, but once I figured out they where 50's and changed only the ammo to 75's it will shoot a quarter at 100yds. I had used some 55 and it did ok, 2 1/4" but it for sure likes 62gr and up. strange the 50gr couldn't hit a dinner plate on a regular basis without it being something with the twist/ bullet or both.

Is a stainless barrel more accurate than all other barrels?
What is the advantage of a stainless steel barrel?
I have two I'm just not sure what i want to do with the extra one my wife thinks it to heavy for her build trying to figure out what to do i love it.

These comments seem ridiculous, but I know there not. Surprising how often some of these companies who I would have COMPLETELY written off, pull off some good products. ^^^You all^^^ have some nice groupings with those rifles. Good job!

yeah, I hear ya.. hell I practically had death-threats a few years back telling them that they shoot well. In fact, I can find a thread on silencer-talk recently where some braggart who claimed to be an expert rifle builder refused to even allow them in his shop. lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah, I hear ya.. hell I practically had death-threats a few years back telling them that they shoot well. In fact, I can find a thread on silencer-talk recently where some braggart who claimed to be an expert rifle builder refused to even allow them in his shop. lol. </div></div>

post link

What company makes a light stainless steel barrel for a AR15,M-4 styles also "16-20".

I used to have a model one in 20" and it was a tack driver it was my first AR and probably my favorite up until now. But I have thought about buying another one real soon.