• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stainless vs Carbon rifles

tuckybill

Private
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2007
Kentucky
Looking at getting a Tikka t3x 223. Cant decide between the SS and the carbon steel compact. What do you like about carbon steel actions/barrels over SS if anytng? Thanks!

What’s your use plans? If few in row shots and weight is important go carbon. If is match use, SS moves up the pole.

Reactions: Cat pitch
Farm/hunt/shtf all around rifle. I know some folks like a carbon action. Wondered why, stronger? Smoother? I have some ARs but to make a short story long I'm disabled and have multiple farms I want to hunt from the front seat of my car. So not wanting to have a AR up front where folks might get a peek if I drove to town for a bite to eat. Wanted a bolt. Im pretty severe disabled so casing a AR or keeping it in the trunk isn't very handy.

Being that you will be firing relatively few shots at a sitting, I would do a carbon fiber. I would also consider a shorter barrel to make it easier to manage.

General rule of thumb for me, stainless actions. It’s just a maintenance thing. I feel more secure with stainless actions and fear rust less with them in the elements. Mind you I care for all my gear but really don’t see a downside to stainless in my uses. Certainly feel no difference in slickness of action or function.

Reactions: Savageman2506
I just ordered a blued Tikka T3X 6.5 CM off Euro Optic for $650. This rifle will be for my 15 year old.

I own a blued Tikka T3 308 that is over 10 years old. Zero rust and is a tack driver. I wipe my rifles blued or stainless down frequently with a Hoppes silicone cloth. If my rifles get wet I dry them out and wipe them down. Zero issues

Reactions: Genin