• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Standard 300 Win Mag COAL to touch lands??

Bull Arms

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2008
I just got back my 300 WM build from the smith on a 700 action. When I went o reload some rounds for it I checked the distance to the rifling and using 180gr. Accubonds, my cartridge length touching the rifling is approx 3.771". Does this sound right?? If I want to seat bullet out close to the lands it is WAY out there. Any thoughts.
NT

Re: Standard 300 Win Mag COAL to touch lands??

ALOT of freebore = more powder capacity = less brass life but more velocity but you need to change bullets. 210 Berger vld for instance. Puts accubond to shame in exterior ballistics IMO

My factory Rem 700 5R using 190 berger's is touching the lands at 3.575 for comparison. My experience with Remington's is that there is a ton of freebore.

These values seem off to me. How are you guys measuring the OAL? Bare calipers? Or are you using case holders and OAL gauges? Make sure you zero your calipers if you are using anything but bare calipers. The OAL of my 300wm loads with 210g Berger VLD's is 2.915. And that is jammed in the lands. I can get powder capacity over 80gr in the cases as well. I cant even imagine having the bullet almost 3/4in longer. It sounds off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These values seem off to me. How are you guys measuring the OAL? Bare calipers? Or are you using case holders and OAL gauges? Make sure you zero your calipers if you are using anything but bare calipers. The OAL of my 300wm loads with 210g Berger VLD's is 2.915. And that is jammed in the lands. I can get powder capacity over 80gr in the cases as well. I cant even imagine having the bullet almost 3/4in longer. It sounds off.</div></div>

That's funny I'm at 2.912 jammed. 5r???

3.771 would have to be overall length from head to bullet tip. Keep in mind bullets vary, even out of the same lot. If you're looking to load at or a set distance from the lands, you'll need to get a method to measure off the ~ogive.

How much of the bullet is in the case neck? Rough rule-of-thumb that’s mentioned a lot is 1 cal bullet/case contact. You may not gain anything by loading these to the lands.

FWIW - Factory Rem700 Sendero in 300WM measuring from head to Ogive I get. Don't remember COAL's off the top of my head though.

180gr Hornady Interbond - 2.900"
210gr SMK - 2.895"

I feel like this seems short throated but since I can get almost next to touching the lands with the AI magazine I'm content.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jchapman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW - Factory Rem700 Sendero in 300WM measuring from head to Ogive I get. Don't remember COAL's off the top of my head though.

180gr Hornady Interbond - 2.900"
210gr SMK - 2.895"

I feel like this seems short throated but since I can get almost next to touching the lands with the AI magazine I'm content.</div></div>

I'd say thats a pretty good bit of freebore assuming the 210 smk isn't vld profile. Never shot em

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These values seem off to me. How are you guys measuring the OAL? Bare calipers? Or are you using case holders and OAL gauges? Make sure you zero your calipers if you are using anything but bare calipers. The OAL of my 300wm loads with 210g Berger VLD's is 2.915. And that is jammed in the lands. I can get powder capacity over 80gr in the cases as well. I cant even imagine having the bullet almost 3/4in longer. It sounds off. </div></div>

I am using a Hornady OAL gauge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'd say thats a pretty good bit of freebore assuming the 210 smk isn't vld profile. Never shot em </div></div>

Not sure if it vld is synonomous with secant profile but I've read on more than one account the 210 smk, unlike the majority of the smk line, has a secant ogive. Even if this is in fact the case am I still wrong in my impressions of my freebore?

If you had the rifle built did you spec a particular loading?
Call your smith and ask what reamer he used. 3.7 is a long throat especially if you are using pointy projos. SAMMI spec OAL for tangent ogive 150s is 3.340. Call your smith and save some head scratching.