• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Standard issue rifles with 1-4 scopes at midrange

Prairie Dog Dundee

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2002
Utah
I have been wondering ever since I got my SWFA SS 1-4X24 HD how it would perform on standard issue rifles at midrange. Well I don't own current issue military rifles but I can come close. I used a standard Colt M4 civilian type with the 16 inch barrel, a Colt lower with a M16A4 upper and not having a SPR I used my RRA 24 inch Varminter. All these rifles are as they came from the factory. The RRA has the RRA two stage target trigger, the Colts have standard factory triggers. The ammo used was a handload using LC brass, Remington 7 1/2 primer and 24.1 grains of RL15 under a Hornady 75 grain HPBT. My intent was to work up drop tables with this handload and then use some of my meager supply of MK262 and some 62 grain handloads but I just flat ran out of daylight. The load was developed for the RRA Varminter and is sub moa in it according to my records. I went through nearly 250 rounds of these reloads working up the drop tables, sighting in and firing the groups in the photos. I just rotated through the rifles sighting in, setting the scope zero, making the drop tables and getting comfortable with the trigger. I then repainted the targets and shot a group for the photos. The weather was great with just a little breeze coming from 9:00 O clock. All shooting was done from the prone position over sand bags for the RRA and M4 and with a bipod for the AR15A4. All targets have five hits with the exception of the AR15A4 target at 700 yards, which has only three hits out of five shots. The M4 at 500 yards target was a surprise. Call me a liar if you want, because when I first saw it I almost called me a liar and I saw me shoot it. The group measured about 3 1/2 inches for 5 shots. I took some close ups of it as well. Before I allowed myself to get a big head I fired a second group and nope I could not do it again. I was surprised by the performance of the M4 and disappointed in the A4 but not all rifles like any given load. The RRA did about as expected. The clear glass and mildot reticle coupled with the .1 mil turret adjustments of the SWFA SS 1-4X24 HD made sighting in and doing drop tables a breeze. It was a fun day in the dessert, just thought I’d share.

M4 at 500 yards
[imgimg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

M4 at 500 yards close up
[imgimg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

M4 at 500 yards 2nd group
[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]

M4 at 600 yards
[img

M4 at 700 yards

[img

A4 at 500 yards
[img

A4 at 600 yards
[imgimg]

A4 at 700 yards
[img

RRA Varminter 500 yards

[img

RRA Varminter 600 yards
[img

Re: Standard issue rifles with 1-4 scopes at midrange

Nice shooting and write up. I've got a SS 1-4 donut reticle/exposed turrets on the way. Should be showing up on Monday. What mount were you using?

That is the same scope I have. I'm using the BOBRO standard. But I would suggest the extended. Mine works well and is right where I want it but it is as far out in the mount as I can get it. Your going to like this scope. That red dot to mildot ad that SWFA has is no joke, it works very well from across the room to the practical distance limits of the 5.56 round.

Thanks for the reply. I ordered the Bobro mount in the 'slightly forward' configuration. Hopefully it will be a pretty good fit if the standard is right there.

I just looked at the box mine came in and it says "low, slightly forward". You should be fine. I know of another shooter that has the same mount with the capped turret model and his is OK. I'm a long armed, big headed model humanoid type. You may not need it as far out. But even with my orangatang genes I'm OK.