• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Standard Model 70 sniper in Vietnam

cplnorton

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2012
Van Wert, Ohio
I'm not sure if this is a well known pic or not. But I was looking for something else and saw it. I know I have seen this one before but can't remember where. But that is for sure a standard barrel model 70. It is not the medium heavy that you see in most of the other sniper pics.

I figured USMCSGT0331 would like this. :)

326 - Snipers (training and in the field) - June 27, 1966 - Google Chrome 11172018 120554 AM.bmp.jpg

326 - Snipers (training and in the field) - June 27, 1966 - Google Chrome 11172018 120631 AM.bmp.jpg

My old dentist and friend was one of the early Marine Scout Snipers in Nam prior to '66. My understanding is his rifle was basically a Model 70 hunting rifle with a Weaver scope.

Thanks for posting the picture. I don't see an optic on that rifle, surely he didn't make a 1200yrd shot with irons?

Gunny Hathcocks first rifle was a sporter 70 and documented in a Peter Senich book and a Chandler book.

Some of those guns were taken from Okinawa "Special Services" division, guns that could be checked out for hunting.

That picture and report is correct. But, it's almost lost history now.

Reactions: McCrazy and canman
Hard to tell from the pic but it looks to be a push feed winnie. They were in production at the time this was taken (1966).

Hard to tell from the pic but it looks to be a push feed winnie. They were in production at the time this was taken (1966).
Which always brings me back to the question, did Hathcock like the "push" or "control" type better. I know the pic of his tribute rifle was PRF. But, the one he used most in RVN was CRF.
I always wonder if he ever stated reasons more than he just liked them.

Added: Good Catch on the type ninehotel

j-huskey,

For whatever reason, I can't read the whole story. What's the purpose of your post, or at least the rest of his obit.?

Lost signal, dropped service...

And buried a f'g tractor, two hours getting it out....

Was posting the guy in the picture's obit. Dale Luedlke was pre-Hathcock in Sniperworld. But, they are lost to history now.

Reactions: D_TROS
Lost signal, dropped service...

And buried a f'g tractor, two hours getting it out....

Was posting the guy in the picture's obit. Dale Luedlke was pre-Hathcock in Sniperworld. But, they are lost to history now.
Sorry,I'm bein' dumb. If I'd have put two and two together...:rolleyes:

So, this?:cool::cool:
1542799785595.png

Not bad as the red thing.... that would take us two weeks to get out.... trackhoe and sawmill scab road.