• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Standard or non standard for 30-06 to 6.5-06

doubleduck

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2022
auburn
Expertise needed. I am re-barreling my dads model 110 savage 30-06 to a 6.5-06. My magazine length is 3.379 and of course I would like to be able to load coal as long as possible (assuming there is a benefit). When ordering my savage pre-fit should I go with "standard chambering" or something else. I have modest re-loading experience but unfortunately I don't have any experience in ordering a replacement barrel. If I remember correctly I believe my coal should be 20 thousandths or more less than magazine length for smooth feeding. Any feedback is appreciated.

Standard chambering is intended to work consistently with a fairly wide range of bullets, Custom chambers tend to be geared to specific bullets. If you have a specific bullet in mind then that tends to direct you to custom. It will also depend on the twist you choose. The standard twist for the 6.5-06 is 1 in 9. You will probably want at least a 1 in 8 to be compatible with newer, heavier 6.5 projectiles. I would suggest you check with some of the reamer manufactures on what they may have.

I would look at an AI 6.5-06. Might as well make it worth while.
Unless yo have a stockpile of .30-06 brass, .280 Remington brass should work well necked down with a false shoulder to help ensure good headspacing in the initial fire forming.

About the only thing I can add to all the good advice above is the ask the ones that offer prefits for Savages if they will send you a copy of their 6.5-06 reamers.
Also , going direct from .308 down to .264 may or my not cause problems , depending on available brass , 280 or 270 should work , might have to trim brass.
Also , watch for loaded rounds neck OD's , and what your chamber reamer shows as a neck ID, necking down usually thickens case necks.

About the only thing I can add to all the good advice above is the ask the ones that offer prefits for Savages if they will send you a copy of their 6.5-06 reamers.
Also , going direct from .308 down to .264 may or my not cause problems , depending on available brass , 280 or 270 should work , might have to trim brass.
Also , watch for loaded rounds neck OD's , and what your chamber reamer shows as a neck ID, necking down usually thickens case necks.
^^^^^^THIS!!!!

I necked down 6.5 man bun to 6 man bun and then ended up having to turn all the necks.

Fuck all that!!!

I would go standard unless you have a specific long/heavy bullet in mind . I know folks that shoot up to 160 grain round nose in standard chambers w/ 1/9 twist .

Is your Savage a centerfeed or staggerfeed action? I'd go with a standard since you're new to reloading. Get a 1-8" twist and maybe try some 142 gr Sierra Match Kings (SMK). Tangent ogive or Hybrid ogive bullets are the most forgiving to get accurate loads from. They'll do the best if you can't seat close to the lands with your shorter magbox. If you have a centerfeed that really opens up options for your Savage. You could get a budget chassis and extend your COAL.

I haven't tried the .280 brass, but I use .270 for my 6.5-06AI. I found out the hard way that .30-06 brass ended up too short a lot of the time after fire forming. I usually end up trimming about 50% of the .270 brass. I use the Cream of Wheat method (actually grits because I'm in the South) for fire forming. Saves bullets and barrel life. If you go with the AI, you'll love it. They shoot great.

Reactions: Seymour Fish