• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Standard small pistol primers ok in ar-9?

NCHillbilly

Libertata Aut Morte
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2012
    The occupied states of America
    A friend of mine, who loads for and shoots an ar-9, asked me today if I knew of any issues with using standard small pistol primers in his ammo for his ar-9. I thought that was an interesting question, and had no good answer for him. With the whole floating firing pin thing, I guess the possibility of a slam- fire exists, but I've never heard of anybody having issues.

Factory ammo comes with std small pistol primers, so I don't think there would be any problems. What sayeth you gentlemen?

A friend of mine, who loads for and shoots an ar-9, asked me today if I knew of any issues with using standard small pistol primers in his ammo for his ar-9.

A reloader that has to ask that question doesn't really know what he is doing.

A reloader that has to ask that question doesn't really know what he is doing.
    Exactly how does one learn anything without asking? Most of the people I know, including myself, aren't fucking know-it-alls. The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked, but thanks for the input, it was very helpful.

Exactly how does one learn anything without asking? Most of the people I know, including myself, aren't fucking know-it-alls. The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked, but thanks for the input, it was very helpful.
    I wasn't talking about you.

And yes, it was a stupid question.

My mistake. I don't own one, so my knowledge of those is very limited.
    They have a firing pin under spring tension just like a semi auto pistol. They can fire loads with standard primers, tho many factory loads use magnum primers especially for +P and higher loads.

Considering the ammount of mag dumps I have seen with 9mm ar's with factory rounds I'd estimate your gtg.

All I have ever used is standard small pistol in my reloads for my ar9 sbr. As noted, there is a spring in front of the firing pin shoulder so it is not floating. I have had zero issues with my loads in the last 9 or so years I’ve run this sbr

All I have ever used is standard small pistol in my reloads for my ar9 sbr. As noted, there is a spring in front of the firing pin shoulder so it is not floating. I have had zero issues with my loads in the last 9 or so years I’ve run this sbr

The primer cup thickness varies only by manufacturer. SPPM primer cup thickness is the same as SPP for a given manufacturer.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
    The primer cup thickness varies only by manufacturer. SPPM primer cup thickness is the same as SPP for a given manufacturer.
    I know but maybe the op was thinking along the lines of a real ar platform where it is supposed to be bad juju to use oh let’s say rem 6-1/2 srp. That primer will make a 223 go boomwhen you pull the trigger as intended, but may have to tendency to pierce the cup and is not usually recommended for that caliber. There are things that will work for something but doesn’t mean it is what it needs. I know it would be hard to conceive that idea for a loader that has been in the game and reads up on stuff, but a new guy might need some assistance. I’m glad the question got asked versus us reading about another jackass that assumed they knew it all and KB’d a firearm, hurting themselves or another. Dumb or not, when not 100% sure, ask for clarifying details to get there.

I know but maybe the op was thinking along the lines of a real ar platform where it is supposed to be bad juju to use oh let’s say rem 6-1/2 srp. That primer will make a 223 go boomwhen you pull the trigger as intended, but may have to tendency to pierce the cup and is not usually recommended for that caliber. There are things that will work for something but doesn’t mean it is what it needs. I know it would be hard to conceive that idea for a loader that has been in the game and reads up on stuff, but a new guy might need some assistance. I’m glad the question got asked versus us reading about another jackass that assumed they knew it all and KB’d a firearm, hurting themselves or another. Dumb or not, when not 100% sure, ask for clarifying details to get there.
    ^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^

Thank you. I have been loading for many years, but never messed with an ar-9, so I had no knowledge of the firing pin set-up in one, and no reason to care. My buddy has been loading for less than a year, and to be honest, I thought his question actually showed some deeper thinking than usual. He thought his pistol had a floating pin, which, if so, would have made using std primers questionable. The fact that he asked shows he's wrapping his head around this stuff, and if like most folks, the more he learns, the more questions he'll have.