• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Standard vs High velocity for extended ranges

EscapeVelocity

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2010
Zanesville, Ohio
I understand that bullets will go transonic, and why standard velocity ammo is used for good accuracy at extended ranges (200 yards plus). But what is your experience when you use ammo, say in the 1200 range (in my case CCI Blazer) at those ranges.
My 10/22 shoots 5 shot .5" groups with Blazer with the standard barrel, but doesn't really group any match ammo well at all. Can I use this ammo for 300 yards with decent results?

No one manufactures match quality hi-v 22lr.
The transonic bugaboo isn't as big of a deal as it's made out to be.
Ammo quality and wind have more effect on results than the transition.
As there isn't any quality hi-v 22lr, y'er results will range from horrid to mediocre
with occasional random acts of accuracy tossed in to keep you interested.
Best results at extended range come from competition grade standard velocity 22lr.

Results with CCI Blazer at 200 yards...

There are always 1 or 2 guys at our local match that claim hv ammo shoots best out of their rifles. An additional 1 or 2 claim the cheapest ammo available at Walmart shoots the best.

My experience with 22lr ammunition has been that you (mostly) get what you pay for. But, only your rifle will tell you what shoots best in your rifle. And, only your rifle will tell you what groups best at distance. If you want to shoot at 300 yards, it doesn't really matter what the groups look like at 50- though big groups close in won’t likely give you small groups down range. Shoot at 300 to see what it does at 300. My 10/22 groups cci sv pretty well at 50, but the difference between that and centerx is readily apparent at 200.

The guys shooting “match ammo” from “match rifles” place well at our match.

Point taken. That's what I thought as well. The difference is in quality control with the ammo and there just isn't enough at the Blazer level for consistent performance. I was just more curious about the transonic boundary and how it affected groups down range. It looks like I'll get a barrel and shoot match stuff through it.

EV, I have to laugh when the transition gets blamed for poor results.
If you read the ballistics studies that are always referred to,
one was run on a smkbthp, the other was match grade 22lr.
The smkbthp was the one that showed severe instability in the transonic zone,
but the 22lr study only showed increased wind drift.
Yet folks blame the transition for lousy results with hi-v 22lr
without taking into account just how poorly hi-v 22lr is made.
If I could find properly assembled, quality hi-v 22lr
that produced tight MV's
I'd buy all of it and annoy everyone by showing just how good it could shoot.
The transition has minimal effect on a short stubby round nosed bullet.
Cartridge defects and wind drift are the true problems with hi-v 22lr.

That's at least reassuring. I can get by with this stuff for my long range plinking, knowing that there isn't a drastic problem in flight.
I appreciate you guys!

Shooting CCI Blazer from a ruger precision rim fire we have had super tight groups at 200 yards. Shooting a 3” plate got boring really quick. However it was almost more luck than skill to hit a man size silhouette at 300. And me and my buddy have yet to have the time to figure out the solution for 300+ or what exact yardage causes it to change from accurate to luck.

At 300 yards 50 fps difference in mv produces 8 inches of vertical spread
and a 5 mph full value crosswind pushes a Blazer 40 grain 22lr more than 20 inches off line.

CCI40.jpg

Reactions: plidenbrock
Shooting CCI Blazer from a ruger precision rim fire we have had super tight groups at 200 yards. Shooting a 3” plate got boring really quick. However it was almost more luck than skill to hit a man size silhouette at 300. And me and my buddy have yet to have the time to figure out the solution for 300+ or what exact yardage causes it to change from accurate to luck.
That's very helpful and what I am looking for. Do you have any results at the same distance with standard velocity match ammo to compare?

That's very helpful and what I am looking for. Do you have any results at the same distance with standard velocity match ammo to compare?
It’s my buddies rifle so I can’t honestly swear to much. He tried some federal match with poor results. Wolf match was about the same as the blazer at 50 Yards. I don’t think he stretched it out though. I don’t think he has done any other match ammo yet. And if he has I can’t answer to it.

Do you have any results at the same distance with standard velocity match ammo to compare?

Results to compare? How many would you like?
I've spent the last year trying every brand of rimfire I can get my hands on.
200 yards across a chronograph just to see what would happen.
I'm easily entertained. ;)

Page one is a list, in alphabetical order by brand, with a link to the results.
Best results are indicated to simplify the search.

All things considered some HV ammo shoots better than or as good as SV at 350 yards.