• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Standared barrel in varmit style stock.

byrom1212

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2008
greenville tx
Im looking at buying a varmit style stock so the barrel will be a little small for the barrle groove what can I do to fill it in and make it look better.

Re: Standared barrel in varmit style stock.

Am I able to remove the glass bedding if I ever get a bigger barrel?

Glass bedding doesn't come out unless you cut it out. This generally will require surgeon grade hands with a dremel tool or a milling machine for us normal folks.

I'd leave it, at least you know it is free floating.
It would be possible to make an insert, meaning when adding glass filler into the channel to mould off the barrel one could apply release agent to the barrel channel. A little half shell pops out, that can be screwed into the channel and removed later.
edi

I did that with a Savage .308. I bought a B&C stock for it that feels great and the only downside is as you said; the barrel is obviously smaller than the channel of the stock. I plan on replacing the barrel eventually and saw a deal on the stock and bought it. For grins I installed the barreled action and, naturally, it shoots better in the new stock.

After completing my first bedding job on a Rem 700, I'm tempted to bed this stock for the Savage as is, in spite of the anamolous barrel. Worst case is I'll just have to dremel out the bedding compound forward of the lug whnever I replace the barrel.

I have used a Sendero stock with a Rem BDL barrel and it looked very good. Have one rigged up right now on a PSS barrel, and the barrel channel is not excessive; looks fine. The PSS with its wide forend does look a bit awkward with the slim bdl barel though.

As a final thought, No need to do anything until you see how it shoots.

I wouldn't worry about it, I have a sporter remmy barreled action in a HS varmint stock and it's well floated, looks okay and shoots decent