• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Standing seam Metal roof

Marinevet1

Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2017
    I need a new roof, and have always liked the looks of the standing seam metal roofs..........I have signed a contract to have a roof installed on my house, and am ok with the price. The company will bring a coil of 24 ga. steel, and their machine which will form the roofing on site.

I need some type of snow retention system on this roof, and I believe the roofing company is trying to bend me over on the system they sell.

Anyone have this type of roof with a snow retention system, what is it, who makes it, and does it work for you.

I live near Kansas City, and sometimes we could get 12" of snow at a time, sometimes just a dusting.

I think they make little ice breakers that go on the roof. Friends farm had ice push and fuck up the roof and gutter. After they installed them they never had issues again.

They looked like this.

1694133463002.jpeg

Reactions: powdahound76
    I dont have one and a good friend just north of your childhood home in Page County IA has a metal roof.

Old farm house, so they bought all the pieces at length, then cut and installed themselves.

His set up for ice/snow looks like the pic in post 3.

Out here, folks use an electric heat system to keep ice damns from forming up.
    Not bad to put on a roof and maybe good for those rough KS winters.

If you winter suck matches the summer suck you have been having, you gonna need em!!

Those hooks, if you didn't already know, are to keep any formed ice on the roof, so that it doesn't let loose and kill someone.

Where the snow melts against the roof, it will refreeze. If it melts enough you could have a wall of ice come sliding off in a sheet.

If it doesn't hit anyone, it will at least rip your gutters off

I have a standing seam roof. We call them snow birds here. I put them any place on the roof I didn't want the snow sliding off the roof in a mini-avalanche. Over the front door, the garage doors, on my generator. The rest of the house didn't get them. I haven't had any issues with ice dams or gutter problems. We haven't had any big snows, more than 6 inches at a time, since I put on the metal roof but so far so good. Sometimes you will get big sheets of snow sliding off the roof. YMMV.