• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Starline 308 SRP question

King_beardsly

MMPRL & Low Dollar Precision
Minuteman
  • Jun 12, 2018
    Beast Coast
    I had a question regarding the small primer 308 brass from starline or I guess any brand using that configuration, it says to use a cooler temperature primer/powder to prevent hang fires but I’m not sure what that are looking for.

I’ve got a pretty good recipe for LRP but not sure if the same recipe with SRP will work, and before getting more of the same powder I figured I’d ask for advice.

This is from their site
    “As with all types of cases this large with small primer pockets, it will require care in powder and primer selection in cooler temperatures to prevent hang fires. Single-based propellants are generally easier to ignite and a quality primer such as the Remington 7 1/2 BR are recommended.”

It means if you are shooting in Montana in the middle of winter the small rifle primer loads can have hang fires. Not just Montana but anywhere where you would be shooting in 20 degree (or colder) weather.
    Noted, I mean NY gets cold but its going to feed a match rifle so it shouldn’t be an issue.

How cold is too cold? I don't know. I live in SE Texas. And if it gets that cold I am not going out to shoot, that's for sure.
    Ummm… I’ve shoot in single digits and that was pure misery, so I guess mid 20’s would be the tipping point.

I use CCI 450s and stick powder with no problems down to 20 below zero . The only time I had a problem was with ball powder .

Reactions: boatbum101
    I'd just picked some up due to LRP's being pricey / hard to find right now . Have both the Rem 7 1/2 & CCI 450's . Read an article on UK Targetshooters about SRP performance in 308W Palma cases . I live 60 miles east of Mobile , AL , so if it's too cold for SRP you can bet I aint gonna be out in it . BTW interesting that in their test the Magtech 7 1/2 SRM had the lowest ES / ED . Figure I'd stick with extruded & mag primers , whichever gives best results .