• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Start Your Planning Now!

SIE107

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2008
Oak Ridge, Tn
In the next year, 2012, F-Class and F/TR shooters will be allowed to shoot at Camp Perry during the National Championships. This is the first time ever, that F-Class shooters have been invited to shoot during the Long Range phase of the matches and may be the only time. So if your a F-Class shooter and would like to be part of the most prestigious matches in the Nation, this is your chance. Why is this happening. Well the NRA is hosting "The America's Match" at Camp Perry in 2012, whereby International Fullbore teams will be competing on the last day of the matches. The teams include F/TR shooters.. You will be allowed to shoot all the way through the National championships and in the America's Match on the last day. Those that are not on a invited team will shoot the match under NRA Fullbore rules. So be getting your teams developed now and practice. You have a chance at winning. I myself will be on a sling shooters team.

Re: Start Your Planning Now!

I got a new stick being built right now. Thanx for the headsup though.

Got it over on Long Range page.. usrifleteams.us Emil Praslick, whom is the chief coach for the AMU highpower team and lead wind coach for the US Palma Team.

This may be the only chance we get to go to Perry as F class shooters for a long time. I'm definitely going to try to swing it.

Yep, indeed, this in fact may be true, but then there is the World Championships in 2015, which also will be held at Camp Perry as well.

Maybe some other kind of World Championship, but not F-Class Worlds.

For 2012, given the choice between Camp Perry in August or Raton for the Spirit of America (Fullbore Prone/F-Class Nationals) back-to-back with the FCNC... I'd plan for Raton.

For 2013, given the choice between Camp Perry in mid August or Raton for the FCNC followed by the FCWC in late July... I'd plan for Raton.

Unfortunately that time of year is fairly tight on major matches for LR Prone & F-Class. If the timing was different, I might consider Perry. As it is... I have to choose and its *way* down on my priority list. For someone closer to Perry (I'm not really close to either, being up in WA state) or not wanting to shoot FCNC or FCWC (?!?), maybe Perry would be a better choice...
YMMV,

Monte

I know that Canada will be putting in a team for Perry primarly made up of east coast boys and SOA match is going to have a team from the west. There are also individuals that will be attending both.

The big attraction for Raton is that the SOA match is at the same range as the 2013 FC World Championships. I have heard other countries are sending to Raton for this very reason...

Perry should be a good time.

P.S.
The next worlds after Raton in 2013 is 2017 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

When will the the next F Class Nationals return to Butner?

After last time, with the shut-down of part of the firing line on the last day of a national championship... hopefully not for a while.

Sorry Monte, but that was a miscommunication. The Guard wasn't aware of the caliber of match we were running until it was too late. Pete did the best he could with what he was given and I think it worked out well.

I'm putting in a bid for the 2014 Nationals for Butner (North State Shooting Club).

Maybe one day they'll come back to Oak Ridge. That would be nice.

memilanuk, Perry is 9 hours from here, Raton is over 20. I don't have 4 days to dedicate to driving to spend a weekend shooting.

As I understand it, the very limited parking and space in general will prevent the FCNC from returning to Oak Ridge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usftr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I understand it, the very limited parking and space in general will prevent the FCNC from returning to Oak Ridge. </div></div>

Hadn't thought about the parking thing. A hundred cars might pose a problem. Guess that's the downside of a private club and not a public/military range.

Well it isn't the FCNC but we'd love to have you and some of the Burner boys over for our long range regional in May. I might even have my new barrel by then.

Well it isn't the FCNC but we'd love to have you and some of the Burner boys over for our long range regional in May. I might even have my new barrel by then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perry is 9 hours from here, Raton is over 20. </div></div>

I can appreciate that... pretty much everywhere is at least 20 hours from here. Butner was a 44 hour drive straight thru - never again. In the past, driving straight thru with a partner has been the answer... but arriving half-wiped out is not fun. Starting to consider flying for the one or two big matches that are far, far away... but that has its own problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have 4 days to dedicate to driving to spend a weekend shooting. </div></div>

If it were a run-of-the-mill weekend event, I'd agree with you. As it is... FCNC as it has been run the last couple years is more like 5 days... squadded practice day, 600yd day, 1000yd day #1, team match day, 1000yd day #2.

Add to that you have SOA immediately before it - another practice day, day 1 of 300/500/600/900, day 2 of 3/5/6/1k, day 3 of 3/5/6/9, day 4 of 3/5/6/1k... so its not exactly a 'weekend shoot'.

If you plan on shooting @ Raton for FCNC/FCWC in 2013, it's probably a good idea to try being there in 2012 for SOA/FCNC for some experience on that range.

That said, I fully understand that for some folks blowing the family vacation time on two weeks of shooting is a non-starter. Like I said, for some folks the Americas match is a better fit for various reasons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usftr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry Monte, but that was a miscommunication. The Guard wasn't aware of the caliber of match we were running until it was too late. </div></div>

What part of 'National Championship' was ambiguous or subject to misinterpretation?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pete did the best he could with what he was given and I think it worked out well.
</div></div>

I do believe the match organizers did as best they could considering what they were faced with... but from the point of view of someone who went thru the late start, then hauling their gear from target 48 down to something like target 10, then for the last relay *back* down to target 48... and I think you can appreciate the difference in shooting 'over the pond' btwn the 900 and 1000 yd line vs. not... I have a different perspective on how well it went.

BTDT, between the long haul from here to there and the uncertainty of shooting on a military range (which is why we don't have matches @ Ft. Lewis anymore)... not in a big hurry to go back.

Monte-

While one Guardsman may have known what was happening (high level match), another probably didn't. It was just a lack of communication. We have discussed ways to avoid a repeat of this, including having a backup private range less than an hour away.

The winds there are tricky but usually fairly mild, especially compared to the ranges you shoot on. The pond has a way of adding some strange elevation to your shots, especially early in the morning. It is just a different challenge.

For me, shooting thru the SOA and FCNC is a bit much. I will make the Perry Match this year. I think I will try and drive to Raton this year from VA and take others rifles and ammo. Couldn't do it if it was 40 hours that's just too much. What are everyone's recommendations for lodging at Raton. Is it a possibility to lodge at the range or better to stay in town.
JimC

I will be at Camp Perry. We already have our condo rental squared away. I am really looking foward to this.
Rob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Va Jim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For me, shooting thru the SOA and FCNC is a bit much. I will make the Perry Match this year. I think I will try and drive to Raton this year from VA and take others rifles and ammo. Couldn't do it if it was 40 hours that's just too much. What are everyone's recommendations for lodging at Raton. Is it a possibility to lodge at the range or better to stay in town.
JimC </div></div>

Its better to stay in Raton. PM me i can tell you where to get a room there for less than $200 a week.I shoot there several times a year. It is a nice range but latter in the day the wind will kill you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barrel Nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well it isn't the FCNC but we'd love to have you and some of the <span style="color: #FF0000">Burner</span> boys over for our long range regional in May. I might even have my new barrel by then. </div></div>

We have matches scheduled for early April and late June at "Butner" ;>), but nothing in May due to the Eastern Games and Creedmore Cup matches. I'll see if Team X-Men and maybe a few other shooters can attend your May 11-13 match. BTW - Will the match include any team competition?

There is no team match planned as of now, but there is usually time for one on Saturday. ..I'll talk to the Match Director and see if we can add one. I'd like to add a four man but possibly a two man depending on interest.
Sorry for the spelling. ..My smart phone doesn't know what Butner is.

After looking at the dates for the LR Regional at Oak Ridge, I remembered this always falls on graduation. I have to take 8 hours of leave (no pay) if I don't attend the 2 hour graduation ceremony.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usftr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After looking at the dates for the LR Regional at Oak Ridge, I remembered this always falls on graduation. I have to take 8 hours of leave (no pay) if I don't attend the 2 hour graduation ceremony. </div></div>
That's disappointing Jeff. I'm definitely going to try to get back over to Butner this spring. Maybe you could send over James, or Gary, or hell we'd even take Skip.

I'm trying to figure out a way to get there! Having a registered team match would help. Is there a link to the program?

You mean to say you would allow me to attend. Heck that might be enough to get Ship to show.
Va Jim

I didn't realize that Skip was that big of a celebrity.
Maybe it's just that everyone knows that he has a bottle of Crown with him everywhere he goes.

As a complete newbie and one who is continually told my gun doesn't fit in any class maybe there is someone out there in this forum that can help or confirm this. I have a custom built 300 short mag, HS Precision fully adj stock, it is set-up as a bi-pod sniper with detachable mag - (I know wrong caliber) but I was hoping that when the military started playing with the 300 short mag now over in the sand box it would catch on - it's a great round in any case. I've been told that it doesn't fit in the the LR/T but not sure what other classes it might also be? I'm working on a new gun but that won't be ready in time for Perry but hoping that there is something that I might be able to fit this into....Any suggestions?

Nothing wrong with the short mag. You can pretty much run what you brung. You'd shoot F-open. If you have a brake it will have to be removed. Otherwise, shoot what you've got and have fun and learn. That's really what this is all about for all of us.

Looks like we'll be able to get a team match added to the program for the LR Regional in May. Now we just need a bunch of interested Shooters

Hey Barrel Nut, or should I just address you as Sarg? in any case many thanks for the input and I will assume that F-open I can find some rules on line? NRA? or other?

I do have a brake on it right now but it's easy enough to unscrew, it does save a little wear and tear on the shoulder. I did shoot it for a year and a half without it so not too big a deal to go back.