• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Started working out - gaining weight daily!!

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    I just recently started working out regularly again. It's been a while since I have and it was really time to start - I'm not obese or any of that, it was just getting to the point where I was getting those pounds around the midsection that needed to go before it turned into something far worse.

I started this past Monday with the 6 day workout 'routine' I used to do as well as dieting properly. I think I've stuck to it very well so far, and have drank practically a gallon of water each day as well.

Here's the problem. I know its a chick thing to say, but I feel fatter and I've been gaining 1-2 pounds DAILY since I started. On Monday's weight in, I was at 182 (I'm 6 foot). This morning I'm at 190 and I can't remember the last time I weighed 190. That's 8 pounds in 6 days. What the hell is going on????

I know muscle weights more than fat and all of that. But there is no way I have gained 8lbs in muscle or not lost any fat between now and last Monday - that doesn't make sense.

I've been eating around 2200ish calories daily and have drank so much water it isn't even funny; some days right at a gallon or more. I have had a small slip and went with the gf to Denny's late Friday and went off the reservation with calories, but that's it - plus I was already up 6ish pounds by then anyways.

The only supplement I am taking is a whey protein shake I drink twice daily, that's all. Routine is cardio heavy on M/W/F on a treadmill. On T/Thr/Sun I hike/run with a weighted rucksack and then do weights at the gym in the evening.

I guess at this point I am doubting myself. What the hell is going on?? If it was just the scale, I wouldn't care much but I PHYSICALLY feel fat/bloated and even my pants are fitting differently/tight.

Ideas? Growing pains? Can someone give me some insight? I google'd this and everything came up as eating too many calories; thats not the case and thats what has me uneasy about this.

Re: Started working out - gaining weight daily!!

It IS a chick thing to say. Just kidding
    smile.gif

Your fine bro, the body responds in different ways when your starting a routine after a period of not exercising. More than likely you are fully hydrated due to all the water. I am willing to bet around 75% of people dont drink enough water throughout the day and are dehydrated in some form. Its very possible you were one of these people but are now drinking more water.

If it keeps happening though you might have an issue. But my guess is youll be fine. What sort of food are you eating?

My guess is that the water has alot to do with it, but don't stop drinking it. It will normalize over time.

Mainly chicken, fat free yogurt, fat free cottage cheese, whey protein powder with skim milk, various fruit, toss in a rye PBJ every now and then, green/red pepper & onion when I make stir fryes, etc.

The only 'bad' thing I still do is drink maybe 1 or 2 diet dr peppers a day. This is down from drinking 8+ a day before and I kind of ween myself off of it; I just need some flavor especially with all the water.

I mix up what I eat, but the above list is pretty general to my daily intake. I also monitor my calories the best I can online using www.thedailyplate.com so I was utterly amazed and a bit worried when everyday I would weigh more, and weigh more again, and again and again.

The only thing I could think of is that either I was retaining water due to going from drinking the occasional glass to all of a sudden drinking a gallon and that my body is/was put into shock from me going from not working out to 6 days of it all of a sudden.

Ride it out a while and see how it goes, a week isn't really long enough to tell but my money is still on water.

It's disgusting, but you gotta watch your urine. If it ain't clear, then you need more H20. If it is, then you are getting what you need. No need to share with us, you can track this on your own.

G man, a guy's age helps me figure out what's going on. Did I miss it? What's your age?

Also, I agree with garret and bcw; your body is trying to figure out what the hells going on, i.e.; sudden, drastic change without notice!!! Remember, you're still nomadic. Your senses are wondering if you're you've wandered into a new and challenging territory so its adjusting by preserving nutrients in case TSHTF. Far out, huh? Just remember. We adapt and that's what your body is trying to do.

veggies
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">G man, a guy's age helps me figure out what's going on. Did I miss it? What's your age?

Also, I agree with garret and bcw; your body is trying to figure out what the hells going on, i.e.; sudden, drastic change without notice!!! Remember, you're still nomadic. Your senses are wondering if you're you've wandered into a new and challenging territory so its adjusting by preserving nutrients in case TSHTF. Far out, huh? Just remember. We adapt and that's what your body is trying to do. </div></div>

Just turned 32.

I'll give it a week and update. Didn't gain anything today as of this AM, and drank another gallon of water during the day.

Nothing to worry about dude, thats just water retention because your drinking so much. It'll normalize.