• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Starting 308 AR10 Build

GriffSniper

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2020
Hi Guys,

This is my first post to the forum and I'm looking for some advice. I'm building an ar10 308 rifle. The only thing I have thus far is a matched aero precision M5E1 receiver set. This will mainly be a range gun but I also want to be able to use it for the occasional hog/deer hunt. I'm a big guy at 6'7" and my ar15 has the Vltor A5 EMOD kit to give me maximum length of pull. I was hoping to do something similar with this build. Any suggestions on longest buffer tube/spring combination that I can pair with an EMOD stock? Any suggestions on the below components would be greatly appreciated as well. I'll keep you guys updated as the build progresses.

Components:
Barrel: JP Enterprises 18" black teflon
BCG: JP Enterprises of some sort
Flash Hider: AAC Blackout 308 caliber
Charging Handle: BCM gunfighter mod4
Hand guard: ????
Gas Block: ???? (fixed or adjustable?)
Buffer tube: ????
Sling: ????
Sights: Troy flip up irons
Scope: Vortex razor HD 1-6X
Trigger: Geissle SSA-E (if compatible)

Attachments

• Aero Receiver.jpg
    Aero Receiver.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 22
You can use the same basic Vltor kit ....

BUT, you would need ( MANDATORY ) a 3.25" buffer ( typical AR15 carbine buffer H3 ) since the 308 BCG extends into the buffer tube further during function... heavy is good...5.4oz.

And a 308 carbine recoil spring... I prefer the Tubbs 308 Flatwire... it looks to long but it will fit.

I run adjustable gas blocks on all my large frame AR's... SLR

SSA-E will work very well.

I perfer the VTAC wide padded sling.... however you are 6 inches taller, I have a wide chest, so consider your height and chest width.

I would consider a 1-8 power scope at the least. YMMV... you are getting a precise shooting barrel... so you might want more magnification.

Aero Precision uses a "High Shelf" picatinny rail height. So look for that... I am a fan of AMPLE gas block clearance between the handguard and gas block.

Aero sells quite a few with 1.5" ID's, fairly plain jane, but... given your height, I assume you have larger hands so slightly wider handguards shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited: