• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Starting Load for a Short M1A/M14 ??

jrhtx

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2006
Houston, TX
Anyone have a starting load for a M1A / M14?
13.5" barrel
147 gr FMJ
LC mil brass,
powder? 748?
CCI primers (what I have and can still find a few)
Thanks
James
LaFranceM14K1.jpg

Re: Starting Load for a Short M1A/M14 ??

I would start with W748. As for load suggestions I don't have any as I've never dealt with a 308 with that short of a barrel.

Let me start over. What is a close spec load for 147's?
The short gun runs fine on std military SA, Port, WW, Fed, etc.
J

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrhtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have a starting load for a M1A / M14?
13.5" barrel
147 gr FMJ
LC mil brass,
powder? 748?
CCI primers (what I have and can still find a few)
Thanks
James
LaFranceM14K1.jpg

</div></div>
M14K by LaFrance?
I had an opportunity to shoot one almost 20 years ago now and I know that the one I had did have trouble cycling, has to do with the modified M60 gas system and gas dwell time. I was told by the gunsmith that had possesion of the weapon that it would not work well with some ammo, I think he explained it as being a factor of powder burn rate and when exactly the pressure peak would occur as being important to function on this piece. I can't really help much beyond that, you might try to contact someone at Smith Enterprise Inc. as they were involved in these at some point. I am not sure about whether Tim LaFrance is still around or not, he ran his shop in SoCal during the 1980-90's so he may have relocated by now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrhtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me start over. What is a close spec load for 147's?
The short gun runs fine on std military SA, Port, WW, Fed, etc.
J </div></div>

According to the TM 43-0001-27 for M80 ball, 46gr of WC846 (Now BLC-2) pushes the 147gr FMJ to 2750fps 78ft from the muzzle. It doesn't give a barrel length though, I'd imagine in your gun that load would be somewhere in the 2400 range.

Spec 147 loads won't cycle as has been previously mentioned.

Match 168 loads like 41.5 of IMR 4895 and a mil case will cycle it just fine. The heavier bullet has a longer dwell time and allows the peak port pressure to cycle the gas system.

The 147 is just too fast out of the barrel to get the port pressure up.

HTH,

J.J.

He said it runs fine on standard ammo. I'm sure WC846 or 4895 will run it just fine.