• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Starting my own website

Outerspace

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2009
USA
Guys, I am looking to start a political website and forum, basically a blog on my part with a forum coupled up with it. Believe me, I am in no way going to compete with the Hide here, read my posts, I am a perfectly average level shooter, nobody would follow me. I have a "following" of people on a couple of political forums and it's time to take the next step. However for "political" reasons I can't ask these questions over there, and oddly I do not know anybody who has ever done this.

My tech abilities are very lopsided. I can do some things with computers, but have never blogged or started a website or done facetube or any social network stuff.

So if anybody feels like it,

1) Where do I get a web address that isn't a scam?

2) What do I look for in order to not get scammed in web hosting or the like?

3) What sorts of things should I avoid/look out for so I don't do something stupid.

4) I've looked at some software and have some ideas, but am open to any good suggestions.

I know I can google around but the stuff is a bit overwhelming and it takes time to get specific questions, so if anybody is willing to help out please let me know.

Re: Starting my own website

It really depends on what you are looking to do. You can run your own complete site if you are a computer person. You can run your own server but the upkeep gets a little tiresome. You can download Kompozer, which is a opensource web editor, and you can run abyss as the web server. That will make a website but then you need to run a forum software to make the sight act like a forum, there are some opensource versions out there. I have never made any of my websites act like a forum, never really need to. You can run around and google free website templates if you dont want to build one from scratch.

If you are primarily going to blog and just want a comment system then you could consider Wordpress:

http://en.wordpress.com/features/

Otherwise, there are some free forum systems but they are usually throttled back and limited if you get a lot of traffic.

You could use a hosted site like GoDaddy and then implement a Content Management System like Drupal or Joomla - both of these have forum plugins available that would allow you to publish articles and maintain a forum within the same environment.

I would recommend starting out with something like WordPress and then migrating to a more advanced system when you think you have the traffic.

I am late to the game on this thread, but do look at GoDaddy. I have a site hosted there. One really nice feature available on GoDaddy is the ability to set up blogs and forums very easily. On mine I set up a Simple Machines forum in a matter of minutes. It's free and looks very professional (especially with some of the themes available).