• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Starting own small business

TheBigCountry

Green Weenie
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2013
    So fellow deplorable’s, I am asking for advice in the best place I know.

I work on appliances. I have a background in industrial refrigeration (big scale ammonia systems) and now work on basic household stuff (when your LG dies, that’s me). I work for a pretty known company, but am really considering branching out into my own. I do enough work on the side that I’m really considering it.

What does it take to start your own company? It would entail pretty much what I do now, which is fix everyone’s broken fridges, washers, dryers, etc. I have a contact with the SBA, but wanted to know if anyone else has done the same? And if so, what sage advice to you give me?

Set up an LLC, it's easy and inexpensive with the online folks. Set up a business bank account. Get a local business license - mine is like 50 bucks a year. Get some business cards printed up. Save every receipt for anything remotely related to your business. Charge your customers for your work. Put money in bank account. Bang hot milf customers. Ok, I added that last part, but you never know.

I started three business from scratch, the first few years were lean but then work took off. Expect that. LLC costs $800 a year where I am, so I would skip that. The one mistake most persons make is not charging enough. Took me years to realize that.

Get your business license, resale license, a truck, and go at it. Try to be efficient, so your billable hours are close to your actual hours. Get paid when you finish the work, do not send invoice and wait to get paid! If they will not pay you at the time of service, they will cheat you. Have your parts suppliers more or less lined up, and send them your resale license before you start.

What he said ^^^^^ and the insurances to cover your ass. Being in people's homes can cause stoopid shit to happen. Drop a wrench and crack a granite countertop, tile floor or leave a dirty shoe print on white carpet you need to let insurance cover it and not your bank account. You probably already know that since you already are doing that kind of work.
    Get your tax ID number and make sure your business is under the right code. ,(A typo by the county clerk has cost me multiple headaches)
    Set up as a LLC and get a dedicated work vehicle for the tax reasons and simplicity of not having to track mileage.
    Find out about paying quarterly fed taxes.
    Get your accountant to explain what you need to keep track of.
    Get ready for insurance audits. They want to know if you subcontract work to other people and if they are covered by insurance.
    If you use subcontractors you will need to file 1099's for their work. Your accountant will help you with that.
    Most suppliers will require that you sign a personal responsibility for the account if you go the LLC route. Which will cover your personal assets in a law suit. Burn down someone's house and shit gets real.
    Remember, it's never over until the paperwork is done.
    And ohh how the government loves the paperwork.
    There's plenty more but it's late and others will chime in.

SBC is about keeping their jobs not helping you make money.

Have you tried looking for a Facebook group for the town where you live. Post helpful info there and perhaps when someone needs help they will think of you.

Learn when/how to say no. So many I know of can't say no, and then they overwhelm themselves and everything suffers. There may be some contractor licensing requirements where you are, honestly, sometimes I regret being legit (licensed, insured, etc), so many hack scabbing mofos running around charging as much or more than me. Flip side is, if these guys burn down a house I'll be in a fold up chair across the street with a 12pack laughing my ass off watching the show. Something my dad always said-if you're selling your sweat, might as well go with the highest bidder. Good on you for branching out(hopefully not moonlighting on your current employer), and good luck

Do good enough work that you get to choose your customers, don’t be afraid to turn down business that doesn’t fit what you want to be doing.

Make it a goal that any time you go into a supply house/hardware store/box store you ask for referral business. Don’t go the creepy pyramid scheme sales pitch route, but BE the authority and ask ask ask for business. Become friends with the idiots they have working at those places and let them do the advertising for you.

I don't have any advice to offer, but will offer my best wishes for your success as a small business owner. May your future endeavors be fruitful and may any bumps in the road you run into be small and far between eachother. Running a small business can be a nightmare or a blessing. May God willing it be the latter. Good luck Sir.

+1 on the LLC. For liability purposes keep your business separate from your personal life. If you use your home, garage, shop, or personal vehicle for anything for your business lease it to the LLC. You can do it for a minimal amount but have a legal contract to separate personal stuff from business stuff. If you ever get sued a good lawyer will go after anything that can be claimed as an asset of the company even your personal residence.
    Look for the Small Business Administration in your area. They often have seminars and consultants to help you get the business started and can advise you on the legal pitfalls. At least the one in my area had this back in the early 90's when I got started.
    Liability it is the biggest threat to a lot of businesses. I gave up my part-time "hobby" gunsmithing business due to the cost of liability insurance and getting tired of the ATF license reviews.
    I wish you luck. Just remember to protect yourself.

Reactions: UKDslayer
    One pissed off customer will tell 20 people. One happy customer will tell 2.

Always always call a customer if you are running behind to let them know. In the microwave society people get pissed about waiting.

Get ready for your phone to ring all hours of the day and night. And everyone has an emergency. Grandma with this... Children with that... It's been broken for three days but I have XYZ this weekend and it needs fixed right now. I know that it's five o'clock and Friday but it's cousin Karen's funeral.

Lots of good stuff above. Yes on LLC (never heard of costing anything/per year after initial setup costs but I'm not doubting it happens), never get behind on accounting/tax reporting (hire someone if you don't want to do it), build a clientele based on reputation (always return calls, be there when you say you'll be there, do good work and the referrals will come). And most importantly, setup appropriate retirement plan and sock away max allowed annually. There are, or at least used to be, larger max contributions limits for sole proprietors, etc than just an IRA.

Don't be the cheapest or the most expensive . Do good work and you will always have work. Document every thing in a timely fashion just in case you run into the one in twenty prick this includes casual phone conversations back them up and get verification . Take draws for materials in case you get screwed you won't be in bad standing with suppliers. Good luck !

Reactions: TheBigCountry
    Take pride in your work. Leave the area cleaner than it was when you showed up. Don’t be a DB and charge people for stuff they don’t need but always look over the whole unit you are working on.

In my area good repair people are hard to come by, as in most areas. Everyone is a sheister and wants to charge top dollar for bottom dollar work.

Do better and you will never be short of work.

Everyone always jumps on the LLC bandwagon, but I encourage you to look into a S-Corp. The tax benefits are unbelievable. I was able to use the Cost of my equipment (think tools) that I bought before I opened the business, and used their market value as an owner-based loan for the business. The first $180,000.00 that the company generated was to pay back the "loan." That was $180,000.00 Tax free distribution to myself as the owner. That company generates a livable wage in distributions, but is usually negative on paper at tax time. Everyone should own a business. When you make too much money, open another business that is negative value to maintain a tax neutral income.

I started three business from scratch, the first few years were lean but then work took off. Expect that. LLC costs $800 a year where I am, so I would skip that. The one mistake most persons make is not charging enough. Took me years to realize that.

Get your business license, resale license, a truck, and go at it. Try to be efficient, so your billable hours are close to your actual hours. Get paid when you finish the work, do not send invoice and wait to get paid! If they will not pay you at the time of service, they will cheat you. Have your parts suppliers more or less lined up, and send them your resale license before you start.

Hell no! There is zero reason to skip filing an LLC these days. It's such cheap insurance to cover your ass in this sue happy society. Keep your assets yours and the business assets in the business. I know more than one contractor that has been bankrupted by accidents and assholes and at least kept their house.

LLC, insurance, business license.

Here the state requires you to register the business name. Think my wife is all in at about $300/year for state and local business licenses and LLC registration.

Charge at least what your current employer is charging. Don't be the cheap guy. If everyone is $90/hr, I'm not hiring the guy that's at $45/hr because he's dumb.

Lots of good things covered above. Here are a few more:
    1. Business records will save your ass if something goes wrong. Document everything, store it with a filing system, and make sure you have backups.
    2. Always keep your business finances separate from personal. If you treat the business accounts as a piggy bank for personal expenses and something goes wrong the "liability shield" you get from owning a business won't work and now you are on the hook personally.
    3. Always know your costs so you don't end up getting the job but losing money
    4. Don't do business with dishonest people. Eventually you'll get screwed and the results could range from merely bad to business ending.
    5. Some customers aren't worth having.
    6. Talk to an insurance guy that specializes in your industry. Let them make sure that you get insurance that covers the right things.
    7. When in doubt about the law or taxes, clear it with your accountant or attorney. In writing. Then if something goes wrong your off the hook and they get to explain to the Feds or State why they gave you bad advice.
    Good luck.

Don't be the cheapest or the most expensive . Do good work and you will always have work. Document every thing in a timely fashion just in case you run into the one in twenty prick this includes casual phone conversations back them up and get verification . Take draws for materials in case you get screwed you won't be in bad standing with suppliers. Good luck !
    What? Is this an 'autocorrect' thing, or am I completely missing the memo? As to everything else, I completely agree with what you're saying here.

Definitely following, I keep fantasizing about starting my own small business too. Just haven’t found the right way to make it happen yet

Good luck op

Never go out of pocket for anything, get a deposit to cover all materials.

Take credit cards, BUT, have the charges reversed to the customer. I save 5 figures yearly doing this. Your merchant services man will know all about this. Get a good merchant services man.

Don't do any work on anything or for anybody you don't want. Everyone is so busy right now, to not go for that easy low hanging fruit would prove you should not be in business.

If you charge far less than anyone else would, you are a scab and a problem.

Be honest and hard working and you will not EVER have to look for work.

And no fucking milfs when on the job, don't be a dumbfuck.

Think 3 little pigs.
    You are building something, so, be that 3rd pig and build your shit out of brick.

Look the fuck around and take a look at people you don't want to be like and reverse engineer the dumbass. Learn from the stupid or glutinous.

Nothing wrong w being a millionair and folks thinking your a dumb dirt farmer, so to speak.

Another vote for going full S-Corp. People are nuts - you want to isolate your personal assets from company assets ASAP and keep business and your property separate. Especially if you weld/braze or solder in homes or on site. Even if not at fault, if you fixed someone's 'Fridge and their house burns down that night you could be sued.

I own a Corp currently inactive - put it together with a lawyer when I was making cutlery - as my attorney told me. Another suggestion is to make an appearance at all of the local Appliance retailers that do not have in house Service. They are likely very interested in referring their Customers to skilled appliance/refrigeration techs. If yer good and organized you'll do well in todays environment.

VooDoo

Clients. Building a customer base for the long haul is important. You want to get with real estate houses, people with multiple rental properties and the likes. Offer them a discount and a priority service and they will be long term customers that will carry you through the downturns in the economy and later in life when you don't want to work 12 hour days.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
    So fellow deplorable’s, I am asking for advice in the best place I know.

I work on appliances. I have a background in industrial refrigeration (big scale ammonia systems) and now work on basic household stuff (when your LG dies, that’s me). I work for a pretty known company, but am really considering branching out into my own. I do enough work on the side that I’m really considering it.

What does it take to start your own company? It would entail pretty much what I do now, which is fix everyone’s broken fridges, washers, dryers, etc. I have a contact with the SBA, but wanted to know if anyone else has done the same? And if so, what sage advice to you give me?
    It's a little long winded, but worth the read. Attorneys usually charge a decent amount of money for what usually takes 30 minutes and it's pretty hard to fuck up.

1. Shoot me a PM and I'll send you a link to a fillable .pdf of articles of organization for your state. You can serve as your own registered agent and your title is most likely going to be "member/organizer." The name of your business must end in "LLC" or "Limited Liability Company." Your state's secretary of state will return a stamped copy of your form back to you with (usually) a cover letter assigning you a SOS ID number. The ID number goes by different names in different states. This usually takes 10-14 business days unless you pay extra to have it expedited. Fees vary by state and some states (like NY) have publication and/or other requirements. Mostly shit states.

2. Then you apply for an EIN through the link below. An EIN is like a social security number for your business. At the end of the application, make sure you print the SS4 available by link as a .pdf. If you don't, you have to call the IRS and request a substitute for 147-c. You'll burn half a day if you forget to print and save.

Apply For EIN Here

3. Take your approved articles of organization and the SS4 you received when you applied for your EIN to your bank of choice to open up a business account. Some PITA banks will also ask you for an operating agreement, especially if you have partners. You can slap this together off of an online template or put together a semi custom one through RocketLawyer.com for ~$30. I'm not an attorney and I'm not qualified to give legal advice, so blah blah...... If you're the only owner, it's pretty unlikely that you're going to sue yourself, so I'm not even sure what the purpose of an operating agreement is for a single member LLC.

4. Link up your business bank accounts to the cloud based accounting software of your choice. Big players are quickbooks, Xero and Wave. Waveapps.com is free if you're pinching pennies. No, it's not as good as some other software, but it's a hell of a lot better than excel or the back of a coffee stained napkin. If you ever want to obtain financing lenders are going to ask profit and loss statement and balance sheets. You'll probably be able to piece together a profit and loss statement just fine, but the balance sheet might fuck you up. Any of the software platforms mentioned will create it for you and it will always balance, even if it's not exactly correct.

5. Depending on where you live, you may need a business license. This is usually at the county level. You may also want to look into insurance at this point. You're on your own there. Workers comp will likely come into play if you're hiring subs or have employees. Requirements vary by state.

6. Don't mix business and personal finances whenever possible. Sort your stuff at checkout. If you're buying personal stuff, use your personal card. Business stuff, your business card.

That's about it. If you do these things you'll be in better shape that 90% of new business owners. The mistakes you make will also be able to be corrected fairly easily.

If you make good money, the LLC is worth a whole lot more to you than just the liability protection. It's endlessly flexible from a tax perspective as well. At some point down the road, you'll likely use it to make an election to be taxed as an S corp. Cross that bridge when you get there.

Good luck and God bless. It might suck in the beginning, but in the end it'll likely be best career decision you'll ever make. The stats on 50% of new businesses failing are complete horseshit and you're in a good line of work for the self employed. It's not like you're opening a restaurant.

It's a little long winded, but worth the read. Attorneys usually charge a decent amount of money for what usually takes 30 minutes and it's pretty hard to fuck up.

1. Shoot me a PM and I'll send you a link to a fillable .pdf of articles of organization for your state. You can serve as your own registered agent and your title is most likely going to be "member/organizer." The name of your business must end in "LLC" or "Limited Liability Company." Your state's secretary of state will return a stamped copy of your form back to you with (usually) a cover letter assigning you a SOS ID number. The ID number goes by different names in different states. This usually takes 10-14 business days unless you pay extra to have it expedited. Fees vary by state and some states (like NY) have publication and/or other requirements. Mostly shit states.

2. Then you apply for an EIN through the link below. An EIN is like a social security number for your business. At the end of the application, make sure you print the SS4 available by link as a .pdf. If you don't, you have to call the IRS and request a substitute for 147-c. You'll burn half a day if you forget to print and save.

Apply For EIN Here

3. Take your approved articles of organization and the SS4 you received when you applied for your EIN to your bank of choice to open up a business account. Some PITA banks will also ask you for an operating agreement, especially if you have partners. You can slap this together off of an online template or put together a semi custom one through RocketLawyer.com for ~$30. I'm not an attorney and I'm not qualified to give legal advice, so blah blah...... If you're the only owner, it's pretty unlikely that you're going to sue yourself, so I'm not even sure what the purpose of an operating agreement is for a single member LLC.

4. Link up your business bank accounts to the cloud based accounting software of your choice. Many times I have heard how people try to open their own small business, but since many times I have heard how their business has "burned out" financially, I can give you some advice, such as this source fit money to improve the financial situation of your business. I alone use them to succeed with everything financially. In the past, it was very hard for me to manage everything, and now it is much easier, and the business itself is going much better! You'll probably be able to piece together a profit and loss statement just fine, but the balance sheet might fuck you up. Any of the software platforms mentioned will create it for you and it will always balance, even if it's not exactly correct.

5. Depending on where you live, you may need a business license. This is usually at the county level. You may also want to look into insurance at this point. You're on your own there. Workers comp will likely come into play if you're hiring subs or have employees. Requirements vary by state.

6. Don't mix business and personal finances whenever possible. Sort your stuff at checkout. If you're buying personal stuff, use your personal card. Business stuff, your business card.

That's about it. If you do these things you'll be in better shape that 90% of new business owners. The mistakes you make will also be able to be corrected fairly easily.

If you make good money, the LLC is worth a whole lot more to you than just the liability protection. It's endlessly flexible from a tax perspective as well. At some point down the road, you'll likely use it to make an election to be taxed as an S corp. Cross that bridge when you get there.

Good luck and God bless. It might suck in the beginning, but in the end it'll likely be best career decision you'll ever make. The stats on 50% of new businesses failing are complete horseshit and you're in a good line of work for the self employed. It's not like you're opening a restaurant.
    Very well, but I, for example, think it is very easy to open a business, especially if there is something you are good at, it would be enough to apply to a company that will help you with taking credit and some experts who will forecast where to put the money and - there you go, you have a business that works, simply do not be afraid and start everything as soon as possible.

Last edited:
    Very well, but I, for example, think it is very easy to open a business, especially if there is something you are good at, it would be enough to apply to a company that will help you with taking credit and some experts who will forecast where to put the money and - there you go, you have a business that works, simply do not be afraid and start everything as soon as possible.
    It is pretty easy to start a business. Probably more so than in any other developed country.

The hardest part is sacrificing the security of your regular paycheck to take the leap of faith needed to get the ball rolling.

I'll never work for anyone else again.

It is pretty easy to start a business. Probably more so than in any other developed country.

The hardest part is sacrificing the security of your regular paycheck to take the leap of faith needed to get the ball rolling.

I'll never work for anyone else again.
    Yes, this is even the hardest, but once in a while, a man gets to a point where he has nothing to lose anyway, and at that very moment, a very good and profitable business can appear.

Reactions: gigamortis
    Before I started my business, I spent an hour with an attorney and spoke with three different accountants. That was the best decision I made. My accountant helps when an issue comes up and my attorney understands the business model, if he is ever needed. Beyond that, you’ve been given pretty good generic advice, in this thread. Get specific advice.

Everyone always jumps on the LLC bandwagon, but I encourage you to look into a S-Corp. The tax benefits are unbelievable. I was able to use the Cost of my equipment (think tools) that I bought before I opened the business, and used their market value as an owner-based loan for the business. The first $180,000.00 that the company generated was to pay back the "loan." That was $180,000.00 Tax free distribution to myself as the owner. That company generates a livable wage in distributions, but is usually negative on paper at tax time. Everyone should own a business. When you make too much money, open another business that is negative value to maintain a tax neutral income.
    This.

Reactions: tomcatmv
    make sure you have "some" cash set aside. no salary for X months, probably some investment in inventory and parts and equipment/tools and vehicle, startup costs (legal, insurance, permits/licenses, website, etc), marketing, office equipment.

Many great comments here but I would strongly suggest seeking out business liability/inventory/property insurance providers for quotes before you get too far into this process.

For every 10-12 personal insurance providers there is only one business insurance provider. There are not many business insurance options options out there depending on your industry classification. My industry saw most all the big players exit last year so my business insurance skyrocketed and we had no claims in the last 7 years. Not uncommon for business insurance carriers to exit segments of the economy leaving not many options to choose from.

If you have employees don’t forget Workers Comp insurance that’s usually written as a separate policy.

Business insurance most likely will not be an expense that will make or break your business model but it could be higher than your expecting or difficult to source especially as a new business.

Last edited:
    If you have an office don’t let it become a shit hole. People will drop in and a decently organized office helps you and impresses them.

S-corp.

Figure out your initial outlay. Make sure you have it and savings.

Insurance sucks but it’s a friend when needed. Equipment and for your specific business.

IMO, if you aren’t ready to bleed to make it successful you need to stop now. Then again, you don’t know the cost until the requirement is upon you.

Pay your bills!!!!!

• Love
    Reactions: JR_77
    Totally forgot about this thread, and thanks to those still offering advice.

It may be coming to fruition here…im
    Gonna withhold all the details but I got a push the other day that has restarted the fire.

Totally forgot about this thread, and thanks to those still offering advice.

It may be coming to fruition here…im
    Gonna withhold all the details but I got a push the other day that has restarted the fire.
    You can do it. Do the analysis and don’t let the negative types tell you that you can’t. They don’t have your interests at heart. You have the skills people need, especially in this economy. Just do the math, see if it’s a viable business model. If it is swallow hard and go. Work and determination slays a lot of dragons, many of which never existed to begin with.

Reactions: Oldloser
    Minimize your taxable income.

Hide cash.

Run home expenses/travel through the LLC as business expenses.

Show a loss your first three years.

A lot of the advice is stupid. You want to make money from day one and you want to make so much money you pay taxes. You make that money when it shows up in your bank and you have paid your expenses for the next month.

Business is about repeatable processes done better and better. Understand how and why you make money. Know the value your services provide people. Take all your costs I mean ALL your costs plus your time and then then add forty percent. Then that is what you charge. Let the bank own all capital equipment like trucks and tools. Pay consumables out of pocket. Plan your week the week before and the next day day properly the day before and make sure your clients agree to that plan and include time for breaks. Use quick books or some other reputable erp software. Track your numbers and sit down and do the books weekly. Take classes in how to use it. Do not accept any shit from equipment it should work every time. Do not extend credit to no one. Payment upon completion with a credit card. No exceptions. Show up well dressed and clean and prepared to do the job. Keep spare clothes changes in your rig. And don’t forget a good job done right the first time and good customer service are equally important. I have a ton of subs and am willing and do pay a premium for being on time on budget and knowing what’s going on.

Reactions: nikerret
    Check your local area requirements. Fellow worker did appliance repairs on the side for weekend work. He didn't need anything special, nor did he need a license as the city classes it as "garage selling". He stopped cause he was working too much. LOL He got plenty of work, plenty of extra cash...just had too many rods in the fire.
    Another person I know does the same thing, appliance repairs. He has a good side hustle income for the amount of work he put into the gig.

I'm about a year into my new business start. First year was a little up and down. In the last few months I lined up a customer who gave me an audition, liked what they saw, and now feed me steady work.

Short story long, I started a trim carpentry business. Work for new home builders. I previously owned a remodeling company, closed it and decided to stop doing what I loved.....working with my hands. It's physical, but not crushing. I'm in the twilight of my career so I've been able to keep up with the demands.

Pro's:
    -My own boss.
    -No employees.
    -Left alone on the site most of the time.
    -Pretty much make my own schedule.
    -Change of scenery.
    -Can tell anyone to fuck off whenever I want.
    -Projecting to double or triple my previous income.

Cons:

-Could lose a finger every day.
    -Some days are hard on the body.
    -Economic factors could affect my income.
    -Still surrounded by stupidity.
    -Most other trades either don't care about their work or can't find decent skilled staff.

I don't regret my decision. Some days I'm tired / sore. Sometimes I work 7-14 days straight. As a project manager I saw the supply / demand disparity in the skilled trades. I didn't see my management job getting me where I wanted to go.

20221213_162728.jpg
    20221219_105132.jpg
    20221018_104115.jpg
    20220410_132818.jpg
    20220831_120925.jpg
    20220831_082845.jpg

At my place of Business it's not about selling you my product but you leaving after buying my product with such a positive experience you tell other people what a great experience you had buying from me.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    I'm about a year into my new business start. First year was a little up and down. In the last few months I lined up a customer who gave me an audition, liked what they saw, and now feed me steady work.

Short story long, I started a trim carpentry business. Work for new home builders. I previously owned a remodeling company, closed it and decided to stop doing what I loved.....working with my hands. It's physical, but not crushing. I'm in the twilight of my career so I've been able to keep up with the demands.

Pro's:
    -My own boss.
    -No employees.
    -Left alone on the site most of the time.
    -Pretty much make my own schedule.
    -Change of scenery.
    -Can tell anyone to fuck off whenever I want.
    -Projecting to double or triple my previous income.

Cons:

-Could lose a finger every day.
    -Some days are hard on the body.
    -Economic factors could affect my income.
    -Still surrounded by stupidity.
    -Most other trades either don't care about their work or can't find decent skilled staff.

I don't regret my decision. Some days I'm tired / sore. Sometimes I work 7-14 days straight. As a project manager I saw the supply / demand disparity in the skilled trades. I didn't see my management job getting me where I wanted to go.

View attachment 8043228View attachment 8043233View attachment 8043234View attachment 8043235View attachment 8043236View attachment 8043237

Where you located?

I totally forgot about this post.

So I ended up going a complete different direction; while starting my own business was a grand idea, and I thank everyone for all the help and ideas, I went back to the wonderful world of industrial refrigeration for a pretty big starting $. I’m enjoying the hell out of it again, especially since my good friend is sort of my boss and we work together daily.