• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Starting P90X - November 7, 2011

Spazz.

Nobody Nothing
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2008
Franklin County, KY
For good or ill, I'm putting this one up for everyone to see. Hopefully it'll help keep me motivated to keep working. First, I'll give you a brief background of my accomplishments for health and fitness so far. Feel free to skip down if you don't want a bunch of history.

Early this year, I decided that I was going to stop playing games with my health. I was 26, 5'10", and weighed 245 lbs. I 'carried it well', or at least that's what everyone told me when they didn't believe I could weigh that much. Regardless, I knew it, I was in 38 waist pants (should have been 40s if I was honest), and I felt like crap.

Both my wife and I decided if we didn't start getting healthy then, we probably never would. We knew it only got harder as you got older, and every day we walked around out of shape, carrying extra weight, it was taking time off our lives that we'd rather keep. So we started cutting bad foods. When I say 'bad foods' I mean foods that have been processed so heavily that they've got more ingredients than there are items in their aisle at the store. I'm talking as well about foods with extra sugars (in any form, not just high fructose corn syrup), foods that have a bunch of dyes and preservatives added in to keep them on the shelves and looking pretty. I'm talking about stuff that has been created rather than grown. We started eating real food.

After cutting out things like pizza rolls, sweet drinks (soft drinks, tons of sweet tea) and fast food in January, we'd both lost about 20 lbs by May. We were feeling better and our clothes fit better, but we both wanted to be a lot healthier. That was when we started monitoring our caloric intakes and balancing that against what we needed per day and how much we should be eating per day to continue losing weight. By September I had dropped another 40 lbs down to where I am now, which is 185. I've dropped down to a comfortable 34 waist in pants, and medium shirts down from extra large. My wife has dropped over 30 more lbs, for over 50 lbs lost since January.

I began jogging for exercise in June of this year. I'd never been a runner before, but it sounded like something that would be fun. It also sounded like a good way to challenge myself to do meet goals, get exercise, gain cardiovascular fitness, and use up some extra calories where needed. I started out running a mile in about 12 minutes, and from there I'm consistently down to about 7 minutes if I just go 1 mile. I also ran a 5k at the end of October in 25:59, down from an initial run time of almost 39 minutes in July. I really enjoy running now and it's become a permanent part of my life and fitness.

We're beginning to cut out almost all foods except those that we make at home. I'm talking about things like not buying bread any more - just making loaves at home. Instead of canned soups, we're creating stocks from raw ingredients and making our own. We haven't bought any manner of frozen dinners in such a long time; the only things in our freezer are vegetables and meat. The food tastes much better than boxed meals as well, which is another bonus.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
<span style="font-weight: bold">Short version if you skipped all that:</span> I cut most processed foods, kept track of what exactly I was eating, started running in June, and ended up losing about 6" off my waist, 3 shirt sizes, and 60 lbs.

This morning (November 7) I started the P90X workout program for the third time. I've started it twice before now, but I've never stuck with it. This time, I'm aiming to. I'm going to be posting my progress and results here for everyone to see. Hopefully the thought of internet humiliation from y'all will keep me motivated when I don't feel like getting up at 4:30 in the morning to have time to work out.

I want to be in the best shape of my life. I want to feel as good as I can, I want to be as healthy as I can be, and I want to be able to do anything I want. When I have kids, I want to be able to run with them as long as they can go. I also want to be an inspiration to them to be in the best shape they can as well. My family has never really been big on fitness, so I'm hoping to start that mindset with my generation.

Pictures of progress from one year ago (August '10) to day 1 of P90X (November '11) below.
Progress through Phase 1 is here.
Progress through Phase 2 is here.

Re: Starting P90X - November 7, 2011

Awesome man. I started P90 in March at 258, 6', 40 yo. Today, I'm 217, and 18 BFI. It works. Eat right, in right portions, put in the sweat, and you'll be there no problem. I'm down to maintaining at this point, 4 work outs per week and added 5 mile runs for days 5/6.

I'll tell you though, I feel I'm too light at times. Probably because my normal diet has only been providing 1300-1400 calories. Plus I have been doing cycles of OxyElitePro.

I've put a lot of thought into my food - what I'm eating, how much, how often, etc. I don't think my diet is going to be a problem. My primary goal with this round is to cut fat, build lean muscle mass, and get fit. With my current muscle mass, I can probably get down to about 165-170 and not be too light. However, after building up some mass I expect to be in the 175-180 range pretty comfortably. Bulk has never been an interest of mine; I'm much more interested in strong, lean, functional muscle mass.

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I'll need it.

Hey Spazz im with ya on this

today is my day 7 of week 1 phase 1

im having withdraw from carbs lol :p i used to love bread
smile.gif

now im eating EXACTLY what the diet says to eat and ALL of the food is organic / as raw as i can get

im 6'2 330lbs so im definitely a fat ass - so well see what happens threw all this

I'm pretty embarrassed to say that I'm the same person in the photos below. Left side are August 15 2010; over 1 year ago. Right side are Day 1 of P90X on November 7, 2011. I can't believe I'd let myself get in the shape I was in, but there's nothing like the past to remind you of how hard you should work.

MaIzt.jpg

h65jM.jpg

AXvdK.jpg

jmGE4.jpg

JAcXO.jpg

I was a little sunburned in those first pictures. Also, I'm in a different room and have a better camera now in the second pictures. All progress (Days 30, 60, and 90) will be posted in this thread as I go. Thanks again for the encouragement!
Stick with it Intrepid, we'll get through it together.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Progress during Phase 1 is here.</span>

Congrats man. Looks like the hard work paid off. P 90 is one of the hardest routines I have ever done

not bad dude

good deal,my wife and i both do p90X,both have lost weight and gained definition,i wasn't bad at 187 now down to 170 but still that was 17 off the gut really.I have preordered P90x2 that is coming out in December,thats my present to us.We eat right to and supplement with XOCOYE chocolate.I have diabetes(type 2)but thats under control so i'm feeling pretty positive for a soon to be 55 yr old.It is great that you and your wife are so young and proactive about your health.I find doing P90x at 6:00 a.m.works the best for me,my wife can't get up that early but she does P90x then a 30 minute kettlebell wrkout.Good luck,hope you find a good rythm.

Thanks guys. I think I've found my rhythm this week; Thursdays are Yoga X and that sort of screws up my routine because it's 90 minutes instead of 60-75. Last week I re-learned the workouts and got acclimated to waking up at 04:30. This week I've started pushing my workouts to max out on the second set of everything. I can already tell a difference in the way I feel, and I have the ability and determination to stick with it this time around. Sure that's easy to say in week 2, but I see this (or at least some kind of morning workout like it) becoming a permanent part of my life. I'm getting better sleep and feeling better, and I want to get in shape and stay there for the rest of my life.

That's great to hear jrassy, I'm glad you're controlling your diabetes rather than letting it control you. Keep up the hard work, and I'd say you're in pretty good shape regardless of your age! Congrats on you and your wife doing it together - it's good to not only have a workout/diet partner, but also to be fortunate enough to be married to them!

That beard is very thinning on you!
smile.gif

Good work, I'm impressed, a guy has to have some balls to post pics of himself and announce to 50,000 members that he's starting a workout program. If you stick with it for 90 days I'll be even more impressed. Good work.

The beard is pure man-power magic. I can do all things through Beard. Tomorrow is the end of week 2; I haven't missed a workout yet. I'm thinking this is the long haul, and I can't wait to work through the next 10 weeks to see what results I get.

The tough part is over - I've changed my diet, I've changed my mindset, I've set my fitness goals and <span style="font-weight: bold">started</span> the path to get there. Once you've started pushing, the easy part is sticking with it. I've started pushing and refuse to stop.

Re: P90X - Phase 1 Down

I'm a few days behind on pictures and almost a week behind on this post, but I did finish Phase 1 on time and began Phase 2 on Monday of this week. So far I have not missed a workout and I intend to keep up with that trend.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Notes from Phase 1:</span>
I've neither gained nor lost any pounds. I have lost about 1/2" off my waist, noticeable by the way my pants are fitting me even better. I believe I'm basically replacing fat weight with muscle weight. There's not much of a visible physical difference in my tone, but I can tell that I now have less padding.
There's been a great increase in my core strength. At the beginning of Phase 1, I could not keep up with any of the exercises in the Ab Ripper session. With the exception of a couple of those exercises, I'm now keeping up with the 25 reps per exercise on the DVDs at speed. I can tell at work that my core is strengthened because moving heavy shipments and lifting boxes feels much easier on my back and abs.
I'm increasing weight each week on the weight training and have been having no issues keeping my reps where I want them. My arms and legs are definitely getting stronger. I notice the few flights of stairs at work I run up take little effort now, pushups and pullups are easier, and my dog has a greater disadvantage when wrestling with me now.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Pictures from before and after Phase 1 (November 7, 2011-December 7, 2011)</span></span>

K4GWr.jpg

oNI0e.jpg

zgfYy.jpg

oL5nJ.jpg

K534J.jpg

I am a big P90 fan. I started over 3 yrs ago. did 3+ 90 day sessions then went on to Insanity, then Asylum, then a blend of all three. I just started P90X2. After years of triathlon, I developed hip arthritis. Although counter-intuitive, the high impact cardio has helped - or at least the overall program has. Here is my best advice: do the program. at first you will want to skip some stuff and improvise. Don't do that until you have given their program a serious effort. the 3rd time you do a workout, it usually "clicks" and you see what it is designed to do. I am 56 and I couldn't do 2 pull-ups with good form. different story now.

Thanks for the advice. I'm in my Phase 2 recovery week right now. I ended up sacking the last week of Phase 2 the week before Christmas due to a bad allergic reaction that was inhibiting my workouts. Rather than make last week my recovery week, I did another week of Phase 2 as a make up so I can get the full number of workout weeks. I'm glad I went ahead and put the extra week in, and I should be on schedule to finish up on February 11. The program definitely works.

Re: P90X - Phase 2 Down

I'm through Phase 2 now, and I'm into my first week of Phase 3. Only 5 weeks to go, and I'll have completed the program.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Notes from Phase 2</span>
I enjoyed these strength workouts more than the first phase, as these are less repetitive.
There's a definite improvement in my core strength as well as my overall strength - I'm having to use more weight to hit the 12-15 rep mark. I've also seen a huge improvement on my pushup and pullup maxes.
For Phase 3, I'm going to focus on maintaining my strength and tone rather than building more mass. I feel like I'm where I'd like to be muscle-mass wise, I would just like to gain effective strength and definition. I'm going to put heavy focus on my diet this phase to make sure I'm taking in proper nutrients and I'm going to try to cut as much fat during these 5 weeks as I can (probably around 10 lbs) to get the definition I'm looking for.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Pictures from the end of Phase 1 to the end of Phase 2 (December 7, 2011 - January 9, 2012)</span></span>

Kexx7.jpg

PiDGT.jpg

072Us.jpg

LtGs4.jpg

eDGOv.jpg