• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Starting point - Powder Charge for TAC

exd3686

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2008
Illinois
Got my Patriot Arms Rem. 700 .308 with a 22 inch barrel and just mounted my USO SN3 TPAL. Now it's time to develope a load. I plan on using the TAC powder I have on hand as it meters well. What do you all suggest for starting and ending charge weights to push 155 gr. Lapua Scenars and 175 gr. SMKs out to 1,000 yards? What say you?

Re: Starting point - Powder Charge for TAC

Nine Hotel,

Thanks for the link. I looked that over earlier but as I'm still "new" to reloading. Would a 155 gr. Sierra Palma have the same powder charge as a 155 gr. Lapua Scenar. I also see there is no recommended charge for the 175 gr. Sierra SMK bullet. Should I just "guess" at a charge and estimate for the 175 gr. SMK based on the 165 gr. Sierra listed?

Thanks for the help!

be advised...

although it is a 155gr projectile the 155 Scenar is not the same as the SMK. One must take into account bearing surface & length of the projectile as well.....

The 155gr Scenar is actually LONGER than the 175 SMK...

start low...

shoot a ladder test

load up 3-5rnds in .5gr increments until you hit pressure signs in YOUR rifle...

find the ones that shot the best work backwards in .2gr increments until accuracy & velocity meet...dig?

I don't have any experience with the 155's and TAC, but I have pushed a bunch with 175 Nosler Custom Comp bullets with it. The Nosler is very similar to the SMK. Side by side it's hard to distinguish a difference. I started out my loads at 39 grains of TAC out of LC brass loaded to 2.80". This was out of a 26" Savage 10FP. Working up in 1/2 grain increments, I made it up to 43 grains before I began to see primer flattening. My current load is 42 grains, which gets the 175's out to 1000 yards pretty well. I's not bad powder, but I really miss the good old days when one could find Varget in 8LB jugs.....

They will very likely have different max loads and accuracy nodes, since bearing surface differences translate into pressure curve differences and bore transit time differences. But starting loads are approximatons. I never load minimums unless there is a pressing need to limit pressure and/or velocity, like with 95gr V-Max in my 28" 1:8" .260 Rem barrel.

It's likely to say that the mins will be close enough to use one for the other.

I often consider loads for TAC and some bullets to be possibly better made with Big Game. TAC is fine for the lighter ones, like 155/.308's and 50-55/.223's. I like Big Game with 175/.308's (around 42gr) and 75/.223's (26.5C*).

For .260's I like TAC for up to 129gr and Hunter for above that, but these days, my .260 loads are all made with H4350, my .223's with W748, and I no longer have .308's to load for.

Greg

I'm currently working up a TAC load for the 175 SMK's. So far I have one load that is 42.5 grains using BR2 primers and they are running 2600 fps consistently.
Rifle is a modified Rem LTR now sporting a 24", 1/10 twist heavy match barrel.
No signs of pressure, working on getting it to 2700 fps. Next step is 43 grains.