• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Starting the distance shooting hobby

Mauser4me

Private
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2022
Left Coast USA
Hey there guys. Switching my gun hobby from collecting to shooting and starting with a new rifle purchase. Joining looking for information and advice. I don’t know much about distance shooting. I don’t have friends that are really into serious shooting, nor was I even raised shooting.

I’d like to start a thread about my first ‘precision rifle’ purchase (C.A. BA tactical) and which caliber to get it in. What section should I post that in?

Thanks!

Welcome welcome! Post it in the Bolt Action Rifles forum, and also maybe go Seekins instead of CA (there are some troubling accuracy issues with CA builds).

Welcome from TX.

What is your budget?

In the precision rifle community everything is expensive. To get started at least it is.

Your looking at optics, rifle, magazines, bipod, bag, muzzle break, ammunition.

What ranges do you have access to?

These will determine a lot about what rifle you should be looking for.

Buy a used rifle in 6.5cm, 260, or similar. Don't start out with a 300 mag or bigger. Start reloading now. Don't scrimp on the scope.

Welcome to our expensive hobby.

Select a caliber. Something not too big and relatively common. Select one that is known for having a reasonable barrel life. Some people think it's cool to shoot a unique caliber, but at the early stage you're only going to hurt yourself. There are lots of people shooting 6.5 Creedmoor so consider starting there. Those shooters can help you with load development, caliber specific tools and dies, etc. People are more able (willing?) to help someone that has a caliber they are familiar with.

Unless you're planning to use it only for hunting, don't buy a rifle with a skinny barrel. It will only cause you frustration at the range as the barrel heats up and your groups suddenly get wider. It doesn't have to be a bull barrel, but don't get a pencil thin barrel or anything that is carbon fiber. Those are light weight for carrying through the woods. At the shooting range, weight is your friend.

If you're serious about shooting long distance with precision, then get a bolt action rifle. You won't go wrong with a Ruger Precision Rifle. Down the road you can always sell that one if you decide to move up. Shop around on GunBroker and ArmsList. If you are not already using the site, AmmoSeek.com is a useful shopping tool for firearms, ammo and reloading supplies.

I am yet to purchase a muzzle brake for my 6.5 CM, but I've spend money on a really good front rest and a modest rear bag. For precision shooting you won't need more than two magazines. I purchased a second mag for my bolt action rifle but it's still in the packaging.

Select an optic based on what you're planning to do. Stick with a name brand with a lifetime warranty. YouTube channel TiborasaurusRex, has a whole educational series on Sniper 101. It includes several videos on selecting a scope -- a two part series on turrets alone. You'll also need to make one of those Ford vs. Chevy truck decisions.... Are you going to go MOA or MRAD in your reticle? If you pick wrong, you're dead to me. (just kidding) There are lots of people shooting Vortex scopes and I've heard they have excellent customer support.

Don't break the bank and buy a $2000+ scope to start with. While you might think you'll have that scope forever, you are going to learn a lot in the next year or so. Save some of that money and invest in reloading equipment. I'm saving over $1.50 per round just by reloading my 140 grain ELD-Match bullets compared to buying factory ammo. Invest in a precision bullet seater die with micrometer adjustment. That will allow you to adjust the seating depth and control the bullet jump. I love my top loading RCBS Matchmaster seating die. A seating depth change of just a few thousandths of an inch can greatly affect your group size. I'm running a single stage RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme without the depriming attachment. Before resizing, I deprime the cases with a handheld tool from Frankford Arsenal, then clean the brass with corncobs in my tumbler. After case sizing, trimming and related prep, I polish the brass in the same tumbler, then install primers with the FA universal priming tool. I'm using a powder measure, balance beam scale and case trimmer that I picked up at various gun shows. Each of those items is at least 30 years old. A lot of the reloading equipment is built like a tank and 'never' wears out. Manufacturers like RCBS also provide outstanding customer service/support.

Resources:

Setting up and using an RCBS Matchmaster Seating Die

TiborasaurusRex part 1 of 2 on scope turrets