• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Starting to come together

Coyotejunki

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I have been piecing together a rifle for FTR shooting. I already had a Rem 700 action, Jewel trigger, Laminate varmint stock, Harris bipod, and a 6-24x40 Varmint scope.

I bought a Criterion 1-10, 28" SS barrel from Jim and Northland Shooters supply with the Rem barrel nut, similar to a Savage barrel setup. A heavy ground lug, bases and rings, and have a used Sinclair 2nd Gen bipod on the way.

Put a 1" pad on the stock, cut an adjustable cheekpiece, and made a level to put on the scope. Grinded the bolt handle down and threaded it for a bolt knob my brother made for me. Both of my brothers are tool makers and call me the blacksmith of the family, because of my "Bubba" smithing.
smile.gif

Got the flu or some nasty crap, so I'm stuck at home for a few days maybe. I really want to go shoot it some more. I've only shot it @ 100 yards and am pretty please so far. Hope to shoot at 300 this weekend.

Rem700308WinFTR008.jpg

Rem700308WinFTR005.jpg

So far I found that 45.5grs of Varget, Lapua brass, Sierra 155 Palma and Berger 155.5 Hybrids shoot PDG for me.

I will probably be limited to 600 yard shooting, so I'm not sure that I should focus much for hot loads for 1K or heavier bullets. One of the guys at the range suggested trying the same loads but using about 43.5 grs. Maybe find another accuracy load, (is it called node?) dealing with barrel harmonics and such.

Re: Starting to come together

Looks good.

The "accuracy node" can vary from rifle to rifle. Look up the process for determining OCW (optimal charge weight). It will make things work better for you, especially at shorter ranges.

It helps at long range too but consistent MV also becomes a bigger player at 1000 than at shorter ranges.

Nice!
Let us know how that barrel works out.
Been hearing alot about Criterion barrels here lately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mickeyb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice!
Let us know how that barrel works out.
Been hearing alot about Criterion barrels here lately. </div></div>

+1. I'll have to be ordering another barrel soon and would like to also know.