• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

State Farm

Re: State Farm cancels my insurance.

And no one says the lawyers and insurance companies aren't running the country. I can understand a claim for a roof, but the other two seem like something that can be financed out of pocket or over time. A hard lesson to be sure.
Have you tried Allstate? How about a generic bond or something? I am certain there is a way to fix this for yourself out there. Good luck. I would hate to have to try to DIY those things, but the cost would be low, the work tough, but who knows.

I have had nothing but trouble with so-called "insurance". The difference is mine has been due to multiple personal injuries caused by another.

Pretty much the same runaround, and yet I still have the 'inabilities' and scars to deal with.

Short version is, they pretend you're not there, maybe you'll go away, hopefully die, that way they don't have to pay.

I have nothing good to say about insurance, both home and auto.

Damn, thats insane. I feel your pain, when I moved to CA I had to change my insurance for the vehicles. I've always been with progressive and they while the increase wasn't that bad, I got quotes for other places, Gieco, all state and all them, three grand every six months, I was paying 680 back in NY.

Theres no way I could afford 6 grand a year in insurance. I ended up going with Farmers, 2800 a year, nothing great but alot better than the others. Thats with 2 cars and two drivers. Not looking forward to changing the motorcycle over to CA.

My Mother has worked in insurance for nearly 30 years and I have a good friend in it for longer. Insurance has never done anything but try to fuck me over and they've succeeded more often than not.

My last insurance company canceled my policy after refusing a claim for hail damage to my roof. Seemed odd to me that 90% of the homes in my neighborhood had hail damage and had their roofs replaced but not mine, hmmm.

Had a woman turn into my lane and hit me head on several years ago. Took me over two years and an attorney to get a red cent from her insurance company. Lost a beautiful car with tremendous sentimental value in the process.

It's legally backed extortion, plain and simple. Wanna drive a car? Pay the piper. Wanna buy a home? Pay the piper. Wanna file a claim? Go fuck yourself.

It's taken me awhile but I finally figured out that you're just supposed to send them money every month and never ask for anything in return. The relationship works out great if you remember the rules.

health insurance is the same

And USAA sucks the dogs balls now. Twentyfive years ago we I got it as a second looie it was great insurance, great prices and great service. Now it sucks. I am shopping around for better prices because everyone gives suck ass service.

Insurance is legal gambling....the only way to win is to lose, then if they dont pay you lose again....lose/lose situation

On the other side of the coin. I know a lot of people that make bullshit claims on their insurance that outweigh the amount they pay in premiums. Guess who makes up the difference? People like me who have paid liability, health, auto, property & casualty for over 20 years and have never has a claim. Sure stuff happens but, I pay for it out of my own pocket. In my mind, insurance is for major disasters or mishaps that are catastrophic and unforeseen if you use it for anything beyond that you are screwing the other people in your insurance pool. You getting your f&cking golf clubs stolen out of your car is not a legitimate claim on your homeowner's insurance. But, they pay it. You wouldn't believe some of the high dollar bullshit claims I have seen filed and compensated.

Perfect example: this idiot neighbor of mine where i used to live worked at a tire store. decided to change a tire at home. The tire blew, split his head open and mangled his hand. He now sits home and lives like he hit lotto. The guy is a jerk and was marginally employable on a good day. Now, new trucks, nice house, and sits around all day watching Oprah and snubbing his nose at people that still work for a living.

There are always two sides.

My statements in no way are describing people posting in this thread. So, please don't take it that way.

After the revolution, I think isurance company people should be hanged right after all the politicans and lawyers!!!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hannibal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put in 3 claims for a total of $18,000 since 2004..

...Why the hell do we even have insurance?</div></div>
Off the top of my head I'd say you bought insure to cover an unexpected loss...$18,000 worth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hannibal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now can't get insurance- bad risk?</div></div>
You <span style="font-style: italic">are</span> a bad risk, Statefarm easily paid more in claims than you ever paid in premiums. They didn't just boot you after the first or second claim either. They fulfilled their contractual obligation to you and then decided they would be better off if without your business.

This thread doesn't tug at my heart strings, you got what you paid for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Thread? Post maybe, but I'm not seeing what I've paid for. Even in their own wording, in the book that they gave me while in the hospital of "this is what we do for you" they are not fulfilling their end of the contract.

NOT BY A LONG SHOT!!!

No, I'm not aiming at tugging anyone's heartstrings, but I'll say that I absolutely know some of what is being spoken here in this thread. I pray that you don't, and don't ever learn the evils of the (system).

I would suggest a bit of a broader view though, which should help with aging.

Tough lesson. I got raised not to make a claim. After I became a lawyer and wised up (a little) I understood one only makes a claim for a CATASTROPHE -- learn it live it, or you will learn it the hard way.

I was severely hurt in a car accident in 2005 and the other guy's company hired a doctor as their expert who lied on his medical report. The dick who hit me (I was at a full stop) clung to this and was totally of the belief it was my fault (yes, I was stopped and he ran into me). His lawyer was so embarrassed he apologized to my lawyer about it. I got the guy's policy limits, but only because I had a ball breaking attorney myself.

Moreover, the other guy's insurance company wanted me to take my late model BMW 7 series to a fucking Chevy dealer and told me they wouldn't pay anything over that dealer's $38/hr (or something like that) shop fee. WTF? (This is before I got a lawyer.) Also before I got a lawyer, my insurance company, 21st Century, told me to just take it to the BMW dealer (shop time $128/hr) and they would subrogate the claim with the other guy's company. In fact, through the whole thing 21st century was pretty stand-up and great about everything. I mention this because they don't come up so great in JD Powers surveys, whilst the other guy's company does better.

So anyway, the rates you pay aren't everything -- how they deal with claims matters -- don't claim unless it is a big one, and get a lawyer if it is serious because they will fuck you frontways, backways, and sideways, if you don't. Oh, and get the smart lawyer, not the, uh, not so smart one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Called our agent and he said it was true. He told me I shouldn't have put in any claims- only for major disasters- and just paid for the damage myself.</div></div>

Yep, they rushed right out and settled with all the folks after the beatings we took during the '04 and '05 hurricane seasons. Oh, wait, I forgot about all the pending lawsuits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After the revolution, I think isurance company people should be hanged right after all the politicans and lawyers!!!!!!!!!!</div></div>

Sure. Same gene pool.

I figure insurance is good for one-time use. After that they are likely to dump you.

If you can get the insurance coverage to begin with... when I lived in MD I guess we lived in a flood watch area because we could not get flood insurance from multiple companies. My wife's uncle has a house and 40 acres of woodland and cannot get fire insurance because he's in a high risk area for forest fires... he told one insurance lady on the phone "no shit, why do you think I want the insurance".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Thread? Post maybe, but I'm not seeing what I've paid for. Even in their own wording, in the book that they gave me while in the hospital of "this is what we do for you" they are not fulfilling their end of the contract.

NOT BY A LONG SHOT!!!

No, I'm not aiming at tugging anyone's heartstrings, but I'll say that I absolutely know some of what is being spoken here in this thread. I pray that you don't, and don't ever learn the evils of the (system).

</div></div>Canadian health care plans and US homeowners insurance couldn't be more different.

I have worked in the insurance claim business for a while on the rebuild end and you see what insurance companies are willing to pay when something does happen and what ones are complete jokes. Just for the record and everyone on here who may or may not have these companies but stay away from them, first and foremost is Safeco, second in line is Liberty, third is State Farm. I started insuring everything through Farm Bureau after I saw how they handle claims. Problem is if you make too many claims with any insurance company you are asking to get dropped. The point of insurance is if things happen then when they do you get punished regardless. I mostly have dealt with fires and floods but up here in north Idaho we get plenty of snow damage as well. I worked on a job a little while ago where a lady hadn’t made a claim in twenty years, well the snow caved in some of the trusses and the entire soffit was ruined along with the fascia. Bottom line the roof had to be rebuilt with new shingles and the old three layers had to be removed to even get to the structural part. Liberty paid $1300 for everything. They paid $150 for new paint, caulk along with fascia and time to paint it and install. The adjuster guy never even looked at the structural damage saying that they didn’t want to see it. With all the photos and everything she is still fighting to cover more of the cost. Supplies have equaled more than $15,000 just in parts so far. Insurance companies are crooks bottom line.

Well, I guess you can look at it this way, if you are no longer insurable, that just means you don't have to pay those crooks. I'd say take the money you would have put into paying your monthly bill and put it into a CD or some other safe interest bearing account. I wish I could get away without having to buy insurance and do that instead.

I was in an accident after having Farmers for 20 years.

I was getting nowhere with the piss-ant "Enumclaw insurance" - Enumclaw is a town of 20 people by crystal Mt, Mt Rainier.

So I called my agent, agreed to pay the $500 Deductable and she told me "No"......they have a policy of NOT helping you if it is not your fault.

I went with Pemco and have NO problems now - they are teh ONLY RELATIONSHIP based business left - all others, including SAFECO have moved to the BUSINESS based model (Lower rates, lower assistance when you need it).

Pemco has done my family good for 30 years, took over when my dad got hit and forced into a car in front of him - paid everything then sued the other guy - gave my dad a check within a day or two.

Heard Allstate is probably the next best but Farmers SUCKS and I've heard STATE Farm is the same as Farmers...

Anyway my house is through Pemco, they gave me a discount when they saw I have a gun safe...most do actually but they are just good people to work with - RELATIONSHIP based - they HAVE to be nice to their clients or they get fired ..

Never go back..

Call Armed Forces Coop Insurance if you are eligible for USAA.

Also if they give you a ration of boo boo on a claim call the state insurance commissioner and file complaint against them.

So many justified complaints and they lose their right to sell insurance in that state.

BH

Homeowners insurance is intended to cover catastrophic loss of your home and the belongings inside, not as some sort of alternative to a homeowner having to pay for home repairs. This is exactly the sort of problem we have with health insurance. People think that it should be some sort of season pass for unlimited healthcare and bitch and moan about $20 co-pays. If everyone had a $5000 deductible and just used insurance as a means of not going bankrupt when hit by a bus then it would be a very different debate going on in DC these days.

First, only consider what you paid in homeowners insurance because that is the policy being discussed here. Then you can't just compare your premiums over 20 years vs the $18,000. You also have to consider that for 20 years they maintained the liability of having to be prepared to cover your costs just in case your home HAD burned down. They had to stay in business, pay people, remain capitalized so that if your home was lost they could respond, so that you really didn't have to worry your pretty little head about it during all that time.

No, I don't sell insurance. I don't even buy the extended warranty. Hell, my wife's a doctor; I despise insurance companies. But really, what sort of response WERE you looking for, if not sympathy?

Insurance companies are crooks, and they get a publicly elected crook in office who controls how much you pay - and pay, and pay and then he gets laws passed REQUIRING you to pay and pay and pay.

When I was broke I'd go get insurance, get my card, cancel the policy and get a refund and then do it again in 6 months...avoided the $1k ticket..

I'd do it again but having been hit bya cell phone chatter I'm afraid I may have to use them someday...

Sorry to hear that. Some of these companies are really making a bad name for themselves. Hope it works out for you - USAA has always treated me pretty good.

BTW, Che was a good rugby player. In Argentina, 'che' is used a lot like "dude" is now by surfers and zombie fighters. Ernesto used it so often apparently that his fellow ruggers just started calling him that...

I would not have trusted him for insurance dealings though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hannibal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guess 858 sells insurance. Wasn't looking for sympathy 858- tugging at heart strings? You sound like a real swell guy there- come on into my ER some time for some real sympathy. Just warning folks not to put in claims from the snow unless they want a similar situation like mine. Trying to be helpful and you piss on the thread.

Oh, and BTW 858 I figures what we have paid State Farm over the years- home, life, and auto. Guess what? We have paid them a lot more than $18,000 in 20 years. They made a hell of a profit on us.

Han </div></div>

Nope, don't work in insurance or sell it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Homeowners insurance is intended to cover catastrophic loss of your home and the belongings inside, not as some sort of alternative to a homeowner having to pay for home repairs. This is exactly the sort of problem we have with health insurance. People think that it should be some sort of season pass for unlimited healthcare and bitch and moan about $20 co-pays. If everyone had a $5000 deductible and just used insurance as a means of not going bankrupt when hit by a bus then it would be a very different debate going on in DC these days.

First, only consider what you paid in homeowners insurance because that is the policy being discussed here. Then you can't just compare your premiums over 20 years vs the $18,000. You also have to consider that for 20 years they maintained the liability of having to be prepared to cover your costs just in case your home HAD burned down. They had to stay in business, pay people, remain capitalized so that if your home was lost they could respond, so that you really didn't have to worry your pretty little head about it during all that time.

No, I don't sell insurance. I don't even buy the extended warranty. Hell, my wife's a doctor; I despise insurance companies. But really, what sort of response WERE you looking for, if not sympathy? </div></div>

You've pretty well summed up my feelings, and more politely.

Hannibal, you are in complete control here, you can buy insurance from any company you want...or not buy insurance at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hannibal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, and BTW 858 I figures what we have paid State Farm over the years- home, life, and auto. Guess what? We have paid them a lot more than $18,000 in 20 years. They made a hell of a profit on us.
</div></div>

You do realize they are a for profit business?

Truly sorry to hear they canceled you, but Ratbert did sum it up well. All in all, after your $18k in claims, I'll bet they didn't make that much on you. Admin fees, advertising, rent for the nice insurance office, etc etc. If they are lucky, they might have broke even and that's why they are cutting their losses before your next claim puts them in the red with you.

Not to offend the OP, but insurance is a for profit business that puts all the money into a pool to pay claims. They have plenty of research that shows you made 3 claims in a short period of time, you'd be a likely candidate for another one...and maybe a really big one. One $25,000 claim would look better to them than the 3 smaller ones, now you have a pattern of being a repeat claimant. It's strictly a business decision on their part that is based on years of data showing that you're not a good customer for them.

USAA has always been nice to me *knock on wood* - for the last 30+ years.

They paid a $1,900 hail claim in 1992 or so, and a few accidents.

My daughter has been in 2 in the last 6 months, so we'll see how that goes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

NOT BY A LONG SHOT!!!

</div></div><span style="text-decoration: underline">Canadian health care plans and US homeowners insurance couldn't be more different.</span>
</div></div>

While I can agree with your statement there, I cannot see what it has to do with the discussion taking place here. Try to keep up.

I'll repeat myself, for something which I said earlier, here:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I didn't say anything about medical insurance. That topic hasn't been breached yet by me, as the medical system here is different. Therefore, not condusive to this thread.

I can talk though, to homeowners insurance, but I didn't want to sway the intent (as I percieved) by the OP. My experiences with them have not been positive.

But moreso, auto insurance has been even worse. There is only one type a person can buy here, which is "Public Insurance" run by the government. And there is NO competition. And you have to purchase it.

And they don't have to deliver.

And they can't be sued.

And they aren't looking out for anyones best interest except their own.

So when you are wrongfully hit, and placed into the hospital for many months, and left in a wheelchair for a long-assed time, and deemed by your specialists as "Permanently physically disabled, you cannot do your job anymore, and need to be retrained" it is sorta "debilitating".

Then, when the "insurance company" (aka Gov't) decides to just cancel and stop because you're costing too much, what exactly are your legal choices?

So in other words, 858, shup up while the adults are talking. You just might learn something, as opposed to jumping to conclusions, and going in the totally wrong direction.

My apologies to Hannibal and everyone else, as I'd no intent of swaying this thread. I was trying to be civil, contributing, as well as "somewhat ambiguous" at the same time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Punisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After the revolution, I think isurance company people should be hanged right after all the politicans and lawyers!!!!!!!!!! </div></div>

Some of us will be harder to hang than others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pinmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Punisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After the revolution, I think isurance company people should be hanged right after all the politicans and lawyers!!!!!!!!!! </div></div>

Some of us will be harder to hang than others. </div></div>

But very outnumbered.

I've never lost a moment's sleep suing an insurance company. Michigan is one of four states in the nation that doesn't have legislation which imposes criminal and civil penalties on insurance companies that intentionally delay and deny legitimate claims. Now the insurance companies here are squeezing their own defense attorneys by holding out on them, not paying them properly, and threatening to withdraw their business. I tell the attorneys on the other side that this is one of the dangers of trying to live with the monster they have created. In case you are wondering, I wear the white hat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pinmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Punisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After the revolution, I think isurance company people should be hanged right after all the politicans and lawyers!!!!!!!!!! </div></div>

Some of us will be harder to hang than others. </div></div>

But very outnumbered. </div></div>

I will take those odds LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Homeowners insurance is intended to cover catastrophic loss of your home and the belongings inside, not as some sort of alternative to a homeowner having to pay for home repairs. This is exactly the sort of problem we have with health insurance. People think that it should be some sort of season pass for unlimited healthcare and bitch and moan about $20 co-pays. If everyone had a $5000 deductible and just used insurance as a means of not going bankrupt when hit by a bus then it would be a very different debate going on in DC these days.

No, I don't sell insurance. I don't even buy the extended warranty. Hell, my wife's a doctor; I despise insurance companies. But really, what sort of response WERE you looking for, if not sympathy? </div></div>

First of all Fuck You. My company pays $18,000 per year to insure me and my family. That is part of my compensation package. Even with two kids my medical bills haven't topped $40,000 and I have been receiving this benefit for 10 years.

Workman's comp. insurance $140,000/year. In 12 years we have utilized $250,000 in claims. That's $1,680,000 paid for $250,000 of use. Once I build up enough capital we are going to switch to a self insured model.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Ratbert said:
Workman's comp. insurance $140,000/year. In 12 years we have utilized $250,000 in claims. That's $1,680,000 paid for $250,000 of use. Once I build up enough capital we are going to switch to a <span style="font-weight: bold">self insured</span> model. </div></div>

Wise Choice IMO
If you have not checked out SIIA already take a look (I am a member) http://www.siia.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1 Their site has a good amount of helpful information.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pinmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Ratbert said:
Workman's comp. insurance $140,000/year. In 12 years we have utilized $250,000 in claims. That's $1,680,000 paid for $250,000 of use. Once I build up enough capital we are going to switch to a <span style="font-weight: bold">self insured</span> model. </div></div>

Wise Choice IMO
If you have not checked out SIIA already take a look (I am a member) http://www.siia.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1 Their site has a good amount of helpful information. </div></div>

Thank you for the link.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

NOT BY A LONG SHOT!!!

</div></div><span style="text-decoration: underline">Canadian health care plans and US homeowners insurance couldn't be more different.</span>
</div></div>

While I can agree with your statement there, I cannot see what it has to do with the discussion taking place here. Try to keep up.

I'll repeat myself, for something which I said earlier, here:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I didn't say anything about medical insurance. That topic hasn't been breached yet by me, as the medical system here is different. Therefore, not condusive to this thread.

I can talk though, to homeowners insurance, but I didn't want to sway the intent (as I percieved) by the OP. My experiences with them have not been positive.

But moreso, auto insurance has been even worse. There is only one type a person can buy here, which is "Public Insurance" run by the government. And there is NO competition. And you have to purchase it.

And they don't have to deliver.

And they can't be sued.

And they aren't looking out for anyones best interest except their own.

So when you are wrongfully hit, and placed into the hospital for many months, and left in a wheelchair for a long-assed time, and deemed by your specialists as "Permanently physically disabled, you cannot do your job anymore, and need to be retrained" it is sorta "debilitating".

Then, when the "insurance company" (aka Gov't) decides to just cancel and stop because you're costing too much, what exactly are your legal choices?

So in other words, 858, shup up while the adults are talking. You just might learn something, as opposed to jumping to conclusions, and going in the totally wrong direction.

My apologies to Hannibal and everyone else, as I'd no intent of swaying this thread. I was trying to be civil, contributing, as well as "somewhat ambiguous" at the same time.
</div></div>

Interesting. did you know the OP was in fact covered by State Farm and that they paid the claims he filed? His post indicates there was no denial. I fail to see how that relates to Canadian Socialized Insurance (or what ever it is but it sure isn't insurance in the American sense)?

Your situation has nothing to do with the OP nor did I comment on it other than to say it was apples to oranges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Homeowners insurance is intended to cover catastrophic loss of your home and the belongings inside, not as some sort of alternative to a homeowner having to pay for home repairs. This is exactly the sort of problem we have with health insurance. People think that it should be some sort of season pass for unlimited healthcare and bitch and moan about $20 co-pays. If everyone had a $5000 deductible and just used insurance as a means of not going bankrupt when hit by a bus then it would be a very different debate going on in DC these days.

First of all Fuck You. My company pays $18,000 per year to insure me and my family. That is part of my compensation package. Even with two kids my medical bills haven't topped $40,000 and I have been receiving this benefit for 10 years.

Workman's comp. insurance $140,000/year. In 12 years we have utilized $250,000 in claims. That's $1,680,000 paid for $250,000 of use. Once I build up enough capital we are going to switch to a self insured model. </div></div>

I'm not entirely clear what I said that got you so mad. It certainly sounds like you pay a lot of money for insurance. That sucks. My wife also pays quite a bit for her malpractice insurance and for 10 years I was self-employed pay my own insurance, I can empathize. But "insurance costs too much" wasn't really the original topic of the thread nor, I thought, any part of my response so I am a little confused as to why you became so upset.

Concerning the $18000 health benefits, I have no idea what that covers or what your medical situation is but I will assume that since it is part of your compensation package that you are part of a group plan. The cost of your insurance is, therefore, partially the result of the health condition of the others in your policy group. If there are a lot of older, smoking, and/or otherwise high-medical cost members in your group then the cost of supporting your group's policy will be high and each member will bear an equal portion of that cost (within the parameters of selected options pricing, etc.) Join a small company with a few older coworkers with cancer patients as family members and it is not difficult to see why your medical insurance might be really expensive. This is why I personally think that if medical insurance is to be fair it should either be entirely individual (essentially no insurance, each person pays their own way) or it should be as large and all encompassing as possible so that the cost is shared over the entire population equally (progressive or otherwise.)

This has strayed somewhat off topic, but that is the reason 'medical insurance' isn't 'insurance.' Everyone buys fire insurance (well, except maybe the OP now...) but a very very small number of people ever actually have a fire and need to make a claim. As a result, fire insurance is relatively affordable and I think most would agree that even if they never make a claim against the policy the risk abatement paying the premium provides against the value of their house and possessions is a good buy. However, unlike fire insurance, very VERY few people will manage to shuffle off this mortal coil without needing medical treatment of some kind. Eventually, we ALL use it. Consequently it isn't so much an insurance policy as it is a public infrastructure, like a highway. Some people use it more than others but in the end the fact that it is there improves all our lives both directly (when we go for a trip on the highway, or when we break our legs and go to the doctor) and indirectly (when we go to the store and it is fully stocked from the trucks that brought inventory in, or when we look around and see that public health hasn't degraded to the point that all our neighbors have the plague.)

Workers comp TRIES to be like fire insurance. In a perfect world it would be cost effective and contribute to the stability of your company by reducing your exposure to liability for worker injuries. However while it sounds like you have a solid staff of reliable employees, the workers compensation system is horribly abused by people attempting to make claims for which it was not intended and thus running up the cost for policy premiums necessary to pay these claims. And thus workman's comp, which should be like Fire Insurance, is actually more like health insurance. Not an insurance program but rather and entitlement, just one paid by private industry rather than from the government. However I would first blame those making fraudulent claims (and the doctors willing to vouch for them.)

Hate to say it but insurance is a nesscicary(spelling?) evil. It cost u out the butt then in a lot of cases they try in every way to get out from paying, not all but some, and workers comp is the biggest crock of shit, I got hurt on the job back in 95 SC State Trooper, had to have surgery, out of work for like 5 months, I didnt recieve shit from workers comp till I had been back to work for 2 months if not had been for my parents helping with our bills we would have had our credit ruint because they paid our house and car, power, all our bills, I was just lucky I had parents capable of doing such, and this was with the state.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: airborneranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and workers comp is the biggest crock of shit, I got hurt on the job back in 95 SC State Trooper, had to have surgery, out of work for like 5 months, I didnt recieve shit from workers comp till I had been back to work for 2 months </div></div>

yeah, sorry, forgot to mention that all the fraudulent claims people make for workers comp also screws the people with legitimate reasons to file a claim.

What I'd like to know is, who is the damn doctor who keeps signing the forms? I know a lot of docs, each one gripes and complains about patients coming in with bogus forms wanting renewals and such and each one claims THEY aren't the ones signing all these forms. Someone is. Probably the same guy handing out "nerve pills" like they was candy.

Back in November, Thanksgiving week actually, I did something to my arm at work, the doc said it was an entrapped nerve in my elbow. Couldn't do my job, the doc asked me if I wanted to start the workmans comp paperwork, I called my boss and asked if theres was another job I could do at work while I healed up, he said yes so I told them to take that workmans comp and shove it. I took a hit on hours and thus my paysheck sucked hard forthe two weeks while I healed but I thought it was better than being a leach. Now granted if it was something permanent than thats a whole nother ball of wax.

Ok i understand 3 claims in 5yrs doesnot look good to insurance agencies, but if my simple mind is right that is 6grand a claim and even thought to some that isnt major well i know to me 6grand is major if it wasnt id have a lot more toys, but it is, and i know the brother apreciates some of the comments and thoughts that have been posted, but to be honest with u guys some of you are just well just being DICK HEADS.

just my .02

Rat unfortunatley you are rignt know some of them people myself, some of them would make more on workers comp than by working dont know why or how they keep getting away with it but someone must be making money on it somewhere,not just them and yes it does hurt those of us with a legit claim, BUT it still does not excuse them for taking so long on a claim, that bull shit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: airborneranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Ok i understand 3 claims in 5yrs doesnot look good to insurance agencies, but if my simple mind is right that is 6grand a claim and even thought to some that isnt major well i know to me 6grand is major if it wasnt id have a lot more toys, but it is, and i know the brother apreciates some of the comments and thoughts that have been posted, but to be honest with u guys some of you are just well just being DICK HEADS.
</div></div>

No doubt, $18k or even $6k hurts. But that is part of being a home owner. You go pulling out $6k from the pot every year and a half and expect there to be anything in there if/when your house actually does burn down someday. If everyone did that premiums would have to be $5k a year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If everyone did that premiums would have to be $5k a year.</div></div>

I'm closing in on that. Have several friends already there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If everyone did that premiums would have to be $5k a year.</div></div>

I'm closing in on that. Have several friends already there. </div></div>

Just for homeowners insurance? What's your house worth?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If everyone did that premiums would have to be $5k a year.</div></div>

I'm closing in on that. Have several friends already there. </div></div>

Just for homeowners insurance? What's your house worth? </div></div>

Maybe $250 -275.

I live in the middle of hurricane alley. I'm just under 4k this year. A friend who lives less than two miles away, topped 5K last year. His house is comparable to mine. That's with a 1K deductible...unless it's damage from a wind storm and then it's three percent of value.

Have you asked what it would be if you changed the deductible to something like 5k instead? I bet it would drop considerably. I remember being shocked at the difference in premium between a 2k and a 5k deductible when I bought my latest house. Since the deductible is probably going to be based off of 3% of value for any major claim you make anyway it really shouldn't effect you much. If you ever do lose your house, a $499k check or a $495k check to replace everything you own probably isn't going to make that big a difference.

My house north of charlotte is valued around $380k and I believe I send USAA something like $750/yr for homeowners. Might be time to consider moving to a less disaster prone part of the country
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Homeowners insurance is intended to cover catastrophic loss of your home and the belongings inside, not as some sort of alternative to a homeowner having to pay for home repairs. This is exactly the sort of problem we have with health insurance. People think that it should be some sort of season pass for unlimited healthcare and bitch and moan about $20 co-pays. If everyone had a $5000 deductible and just used insurance as a means of not going bankrupt when hit by a bus then it would be a very different debate going on in DC these days.

Workman's comp. insurance $140,000/year. In 12 years we have utilized $250,000 in claims. That's $1,680,000 paid for $250,000 of use. Once I build up enough capital we are going to switch to a self insured model. </div></div>

I'm not entirely clear what I said that got you so mad. It certainly sounds like you pay a lot of money for insurance. That sucks. My wife also pays quite a bit for her malpractice insurance and for 10 years I was self-employed pay my own insurance, I can empathize. But "insurance costs too much" wasn't really the original topic of the thread nor, I thought, any part of my response so I am a little confused as to why you became so upset.

Concerning the $18000 health benefits, I have no idea what that covers or what your medical situation is but I will assume that since it is part of your compensation package that you are part of a group plan. The cost of your insurance is, therefore, partially the result of the health condition of the others in your policy group. If there are a lot of older, smoking, and/or otherwise high-medical cost members in your group then the cost of supporting your group's policy will be high and each member will bear an equal portion of that cost (within the parameters of selected options pricing, etc.) Join a small company with a few older coworkers with cancer patients as family members and it is not difficult to see why your medical insurance might be really expensive. This is why I personally think that if medical insurance is to be fair it should either be entirely individual (essentially no insurance, each person pays their own way) or it should be as large and all encompassing as possible so that the cost is shared over the entire population equally (progressive or otherwise.)

This has strayed somewhat off topic, but that is the reason 'medical insurance' isn't 'insurance.' Everyone buys fire insurance (well, except maybe the OP now...) but a very very small number of people ever actually have a fire and need to make a claim. As a result, fire insurance is relatively affordable and I think most would agree that even if they never make a claim against the policy the risk abatement paying the premium provides against the value of their house and possessions is a good buy. However, unlike fire insurance, very VERY few people will manage to shuffle off this mortal coil without needing medical treatment of some kind. Eventually, we ALL use it. Consequently it isn't so much an insurance policy as it is a public infrastructure, like a highway. Some people use it more than others but in the end the fact that it is there improves all our lives both directly (when we go for a trip on the highway, or when we break our legs and go to the doctor) and indirectly (when we go to the store and it is fully stocked from the trucks that brought inventory in, or when we look around and see that public health hasn't degraded to the point that all our neighbors have the plague.)

Workers comp TRIES to be like fire insurance. In a perfect world it would be cost effective and contribute to the stability of your company by reducing your exposure to liability for worker injuries. However while it sounds like you have a solid staff of reliable employees, the workers compensation system is horribly abused by people attempting to make claims for which it was not intended and thus running up the cost for policy premiums necessary to pay these claims. And thus workman's comp, which should be like Fire Insurance, is actually more like health insurance. Not an insurance program but rather and entitlement, just one paid by private industry rather than from the government. However I would first blame those making fraudulent claims (and the doctors willing to vouch for them.) </div></div>

Hey man I'm not upset with you. That's just a typical overbearing Marine's response to an asinine comment about health insurance.

My personal belief is that insurance is for people that cannot plan accordingly and do not know how to mitigate risk. It is a terrible industry that plays on the fears of the unprepared. There are certain insurance policies that I do believe have value such as general liability. Health insurance on the other hand is a scam. If I could shelter this benefit from taxation and invest the money and it's earnings in another vehicle I would in a heartbeat. As of yet I do not know of a vehicle that would accomplish this goal.

Lets face it insurance companies make money because they know that statistically you will not utilize the limits of their policy.

Home owners insurance is another matter in that it is a very low cost option. I would not recommend using it for trivial matters more than once.

On the other hand a person should not need to use it if they maintain their home properly and asses risk associated with weather, repair or construction.

If you are not willing to manage your money or save for the unexpected than by all means pay for the luxury. I would say that certain forms of insurance is for the fiscally handicapped.

I'm curious how on earth these insurance companies arrive at their rates. I have my truck insured through State Farm, my aunt is my agent and has been for the last 6-8 years. That said, I would have no problem switching to another insurance company if I could get lower rates. I just recently had my policy come up for renewal and decided to shop around. I called several companies and with my policy in hand told each agent the exact coverages and deductibles I wanted them to quote. The closest anyone came to the rate I'm paying now was over double in price (I pay about $630/6months). Allstate quoted me $280/month for less coverage and higher deductibles than I have now! And for the record, I ain't getting any deals because my aunt is my agent either. Seems to me that for equal coverage the insurance companies have equal liability and therefore should at least be in the same ballpark pricewise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My personal belief is that insurance is for people that cannot plan accordingly and do not know how to mitigate risk. It is a terrible industry that plays on the fears of the unprepared. There are certain insurance policies that I do believe have value such as general liability. Health insurance on the other hand is a scam. If I could shelter this benefit from taxation and invest the money and it's earnings in another vehicle I would in a heartbeat. As of yet I do not know of a vehicle that would accomplish this goal.

Lets face it insurance companies make money because they know that statistically you will not utilize the limits of their policy.

Home owners insurance is another matter in that it is a very low cost option. I would not recommend using it for trivial matters more than once.

On the other hand a person should not need to use it if they maintain their home properly and asses risk associated with weather, repair or construction.

If you are not willing to manage your money or save for the unexpected than by all means pay for the luxury. I would say that certain forms of insurance is for the fiscally handicapped. </div></div>

You are 100% right and 100% wrong. Your little equation is missing a time axis. Your first year in business, or your first year working, or when buying your first car on a loan, wtf money do you have? You NEED a co-op pool of risk to survive because failure means total disaster otherwise. Without insurance you couldn't plan shit until you had money to buy two of everything and the cash funds available for the cost of your eventual deathbed. You can't just self-insure unless you have no need for insurance, unless you can lose everything. Most businesses fail, and fail early. Not having insurance makes it easier to fail. That 1.6 mil you've paid may have kept you in business if your accidents had happened close together and early. Likewise you might become an unprofitable policy tomorrow if something crazy happened and you had to ask for 1 mil in payouts.

Health insurance is BS on many levels, but what was I supposed to do when I had cancer @ 27? Not many 27yo's can swing treatment in cash. What dumbass doc would accept young cancer patients that only pay if they survive, and then live long lives to amortize the payments? They work with too few patients to accept that risk. The insurance companies have a much larger pool and can survive non-payment.

Catastrophic coverages are golden and can always be provided cheaply. Nobody likes them though, not in today's entitlement culture. Everyone wants their mommy and daddy plan for everything that amounts to a savings account they can't touch except for a designated emergency, where the bank holding the money charges a minimal fee. I want a no-questions asked medical that pays anything and everything for real illness and emergency. I'll pay all maintenance and prescriptions. Good luck finding that policy. Douchenozzles screwed up the market so all the little things are discounted, and all major events result in fights over the bill components and have payout caps that leave families with bills that still bankrupt them. That vaporized money then get rolled into the cost of every little procedure the next time the doc sends a bill and the cycle repeats. WTF? The only thing worse than being a patient is being a doctor, and vice versa.