• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Static Question

GSPKurt

III
Minuteman
May 19, 2009
Trenton, FL.
Static is making powder stick to stuff I'd rather not have it stick to. I tried wiping with a dryer sheet, and it helps, but not completely. Has anyone tried Static Guard or anything else? What were the results?

Re: Static Question

1. Get an electric cord and plug, attach the ground conductor to the press frame, leave the other conductors unconnected to anything. Plug it into a grounded recepticle. Your press is now grounded.

2. When humidity drops below 30-40%, don't handload. I have a pretty generic battery powered clock that also indicates temp and relative humiditity on the wall behind my press. It is styled to look like an aircraft control panel guage, ans is marked "Weather Station" and "Greenwich".

3. Static Guard can help a bit, and so can polishing the powder path, but these tactics have limited value.

Greg

That's a very good idea! What can I do about my Lyman DPS III powder measure, which is plastic, though?

Glue a strip of aluminum foil to the inside of the powder hopper, with a longish 'tail' extending outside the container. Link it electrically to the ground wire.

The propellent's graphite powder kernel coating is intended specifically as an electrical conductor, to allow static charges to equalize before they reach a potential that will support a discharge arc. Placing the foil conductor in contact with the powder will allow the ground wire to draw off static charges.

Be very careful handling powder during staticky days. Just like when handling circuit boards, ground out any static charges by touching your hand to a ground before touching a powder source. A static shock may not seem like much but the spark probably has more than enough heat and amperage to ignite bare powder. Even if not, it won't hurt to take the precaution.

Greg