• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Statistical Zero

• Thread starter Deleted member 113831
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 113831

In episode 54 you made the true statement that to continue to get better as shooters, we need to be more precise with our processes.

I would offer up one more way to increase precision in determining a zero. You may already do this, but I have not heard it mentioned.

In a statistical zero, every shot is measured precisely from the horozontal axis using calipers, or ruler with millimeters on it, then the sum is divided by the number of shots. The same process is used for windage. One side of the axis is designated "+" and the opposing side is "-".

This method gives more statistical weight to shots that fall together while minimizing the impact of fliers. This gives a mathmatical center of the group that should allow the maximum number of shots possible to cluster close to point of aim.

I would do this to establish a true range zero, it's a lot of extra work and some might not want to invest the time.

That said, I can see the merit to it when considering precision as it applies to our zeros.

Statistically speaking I have seen a big difference when recording 5 shots for an average MV vs recording say, 40 shots. I have run a ton of shots over my Labradar, more than 50+ shots a few times and that average definitely swings the MV Average by a noticeable margin. It's just a volume thing, more beats less.

Reactions: LastShot300
From a statistics point of view, some of the sample sizes we shooters use is laughable. Standard Deviation being one that comes to the front of my mind. That's not to say though that a 3 or 5 shot group isn't meaningful however!

In episode 54 you made the true statement that to continue to get better as shooters, we need to be more precise with our processes.

I would offer up one more way to increase precision in determining a zero. You may already do this, but I have not heard it mentioned.

In a statistical zero, every shot is measured precisely from the horozontal axis using calipers, or ruler with millimeters on it, then the sum is divided by the number of shots. The same process is used for windage. One side of the axis is designated "+" and the opposing side is "-".

This method gives more statistical weight to shots that fall together while minimizing the impact of fliers. This gives a mathmatical center of the group that should allow the maximum number of shots possible to cluster close to point of aim.

I do this as a matter of course and I believe it has definite merit. Thought I was the only OCD person out there...LOL

From a statistics point of view, some of the sample sizes we shooters use is laughable. Standard Deviation being one that comes to the front of my mind. That's not to say though that a 3 or 5 shot group isn't meaningful however!

ive tried to explain this to different guys before and i just gave up...theyll change something, then go shoot 3 rounds and whatever new thing they found is now law lol

Reactions: kthomas
ive tried to explain this to different guys before and i just gave up...theyll change something, then go shoot 3 rounds and whatever new thing they found is now law lol

It is hard to grasp without some basic math savy

Most people I run into don’t know a MIL from an MOA. I love watching them chase a zero.

I watched a guy fire 15 shots at 100 yards without hitting paper and manically adjusting the scope and then calling it a POS....SMH

There's an app for Android smart phones and tablets called Range Buddy that calculates the statistical center of your group and its mean radius. Take a photo of your target then open it with Range Buddy to analyze the group(s).

Reactions: Sniperwannabee