• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Stay with leupold or go for SS

howler

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
May 26, 2014
Hey guys, I'm new to long range and came across a good deal on a leupold and decided to get it. I am trying to piece together a 200-600 yard mostly target with the possibility of hunting down the road rig based off the 700 varmint in .308. I was able to get a new leupold VX-2 3-9x40 with duplex for $250, so I bought it with the intention of keeping it if it worked or returning it if it didn't. Since doing more research, I'm wondering if I should venture towards something with easier to adjust turrets and mil dots for estimating range. My thought was the 10x42 swfa ss as it seems to be the only thing that has what I want in a similar price range, but at the cost of hunting ability. Any ideas of whether to stick with the leupold or find something else? Thank you

Edit: One more question, would the ss having the exposed turrets be better for target shooting too?

Last edited:
Bump.

Pretty much decided to go with the ss 10x42, still wouldn't mind input

The Leopold is an excellent hunting scope. The SWFA SS is better for range/target shooting. Unless you're shooting the exact same distance every time, then it wouldn't really matter. The Leopold isn't optimal for holdovers with the duplex reticle, and dialing in at different distances will be easier with the SWFA, IMO. For hunting in the brush or wooded areas, you can dial the Leopold down to three power. Two very different beasts my friend.
I hope this helped.

I own the SWFA 10x mil quad. I am selling a New Mark 4 to buy a SWFA 3-15x42. The glass is outstanding in the leupy but the SWFA is not far behind and actually looks better built. But that is just my opinion.