• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

std barrel .243 accuracy

pickpick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2008
Jonesboro,Ar.
I've been kicking around the idea of a rem700 243 for a truck gun / f class rifle. Is a heavy/varmint contour barrel necessary for great accuracy? Or can a person get a light barrel that holds moa and less? I was thinking of buying a youth sps so that it would have a 20" brl and upgrade the stock. What do you guys think?

Re: std barrel .243 accuracy

Mine is a regular varmint contour barrel. Just dropped it in a B&C vertical grip stock. It shoots fine slightly under 1 MOA. Only problem is the barrel heats up very quickly ( I load mine hot). Certainly, the heavy contour barrel will help in that department. You can have it flutted also. You can also switch to a match barrel to shoot the 115 grains bullets. Now those bullets have high BC.

Buy the cheapest Savage or the new Marlin. My 270 Marlin (after freefloating and glass bedding the action) shoots like this.

DSCN2859.jpg

the rifle

DSCN2839.jpg

One of the problems with the R700 standard barrels is that they have a twist rate for light bullets. So, if this is going to be used for long range it might need a heavy/match barrel.

yeah the r700 youth gun would be great, Buy a better stock and free float the barrel and glass bed or something like that. The heaviest bullet you could shoot would be th e95gr. Berger. The 9 1/8 twist has a hard time stablizing the 105 or 107 bullets that most like to shoot. Good choice on the 700 though.

I'm no F-Class competitor so maybe I'm all wrong, but a 243 with a 20" factory sporter barrel doesn't sound like a realistic F-Class rig, nor even close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Truck Gun" and "F-Class" in one rifle? That just doesn't compute in my brain. </div></div>

That makes two of us. They're entirely different (and opposite) things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palma</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Truck Gun" and "F-Class" in one rifle? That just doesn't compute in my brain. </div></div>

That makes two of us. They're entirely different (and opposite) things. </div></div>

Who knows when you need to shoot 1,000 yards from your pickup truck? lol

I should have been more clear, I have only shot at one 600yrd f-class match. I don't have time to go to as many as I would like, but I do have enough area on and around my farm to shoot much farther. I may should have asked "can a fellow get a 20" std barrel 243 to shoot moa or less out to 600 or so yards
". I coyote hunt in the winter here, and often a coyote is skidish out to 500 or so. It would be nice if ,it was possible, to have a rifle that I could punch paper with out to 500 or 600 and still be a light barreled rig. If it's possible is all I'm asking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah the r700 youth gun would be great, Buy a better stock and free float the barrel and glass bed or something like that. The heaviest bullet you could shoot would be th e95gr. Berger. The 9 1/8 twist has a hard time stablizing the 105 or 107 bullets that most like to shoot. Good choice on the 700 though. </div></div>

Mine is a stock Remy 243. It shoots the 105 scenars and 105 AMAX just fine and still sub MOA. You are right to say that the stock twist rate won't stabilize the 107 grains or heavier. But with the 105 scenars with a BC around 0.5, it should be good to go.

That sounds pretty reasonable.

My 243 loved Sierra 85gr HPBT. Consistent sub-moa from 1/10 twist factory Winchester sporter.

75gr or 87gr VMax might be bullets worth working with too.

I bought a $400 SPS heavy barrel .243 from Gun Broker and thew it in a McMillan. With hand loads 105 Amax, less than 1/2 inch if not better at 100.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is a heavy/varmint contour barrel necessary for great accuracy? Or can a person get a light barrel that holds moa and less? </div></div>

Yes, a person can get a light barrel that holds MOA or less.

I have a M700 Mountain Rifle in .243 with the pencil thin barrel and at 100 yards it's half MOA if I take my time. 300 yards it can still hold MOA pretty easy.

I always loaded Sierra 85 grain bullets for mine and they shot great. Got a smokin' deal on some 85 grain Speers and they shoot just as good.

If you're just wanting a truck gun, or something along the lines of an all around beater gun, instead of buying a new youth SPS, I'd look around for a used ADL or something, buy the stock of your choice, then have the barrel cut down and bedded in your stock.

Thanks everybody. I appreciate the insight. Are all of the rem 243 in the same twist? If so, what is it? I was looking at the youth models because they already have a 20" brl. I assumed the shorter barrels may have a faster twist. I would sure like to be able to run on the heavy side of the projectile options.

Here is my handy lil .243. It's a Tikka T3 Lite and I had the barrel chopped down to 16 1/2" and a Vais brake installed. This is my coyote rifle.

As for accuracy....well look at the targets and decide for your self....all are 5 shot groups at 100yrds.

Take care,Stan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy the cheapest Savage or the new Marlin. My 270 Marlin (after freefloating and glass bedding the action) shoots like this.

DSCN2859.jpg

the rifle

DSCN2839.jpg
</div></div>

Oh the horror the liar does hunt with smk's.

What no barnes...? LOL!

I use SMKs or A Maxes to test the accuracy potential of any "new project". Any fool who hunts with them obviously cannot read what Sierra says "match bullets are not for hunting"
(I paraphrase).
I hunt with Barnes, have for years, before them Nosler Partitions.
This same rifle will shoot 130 TTSXs into 1" @ 200 yards, probably sufficient for Antelope & Deer.
Didn't the moderator tell you to "stop chasing me around the site"?
Do I have to follow up with a complaint, or will you just go away?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use SMKs or A Maxes to test the accuracy potential of any "new project". Any fool who hunts with them obviously cannot read what Sierra says "match bullets are not for hunting"
(I paraphrase).
I hunt with Barnes, have for years, before them Nosler Partitions.
This same rifle will shoot 130 TTSXs into 1" @ 200 yards, probably sufficient for Antelope & Deer.
Didn't the moderator tell you to "stop chasing me around the site"?
Do I have to follow up with a complaint, or will you just go away? </div></div>

Are you serious?
I'm simply pointing out your hypocrisy. That's not against the rules here.
Besides... you've stated several times I'm on your ignore list. Another point of hypocrisy.
The comment wasn't direct to you or for you.

Humble why do you keep PM'ing me then removing yourself from the topic?

If you'd like a conversation at least have the balls to stick with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> .....I may should have asked "can a fellow get a 20" std barrel 243 to shoot moa or less out to 600 or so yards..... </div></div>

From my experience, not out of a 700 youth 243 with a factory barrel unless you are really lucky. My complaint is that they are not consistant and the bedding is terrible at best. They are built cheaply so Dads can afford to buy them for their kids. A great "truck gun" they are but not long range shooter.

Just do it right the first time and a factory 700 youth is not the place to start IMO.